Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rechargable Batteries

Rechargable Batteries

ASAAR

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:32:04 -0600, Pat wrote:

> In today's paper is a story about a new type of NiMH rechargeable battery.
> Check it out: Sanyo, Rayovac and others are developing this new battery.
> They are supposed to be on the market in January. Sanyo's version of this
> new type, the Eneloop, is already on the market.

Both Sanyo's Eneloops and RayOVac's Hybrids have been selling at
Circuit City since at least the beginning of November. I believe
that I've seen Eneloops in another store but don't recall which one.

editor@netpath.net

Stephen Badger wrote:
> Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?

Promaster brand NiMH ones seem to work forever per charge. Just my
experience.

Jfixit

Stephen Badger wrote:
> Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
>
> One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
> (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand at
> the moment)
>
> Thank you

i bought my enaloops with a charger at Circuit City the day after
thanksgiving they were 20% off that day

Roy G

"Stephen Badger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
>
> One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
> (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand
> at
> the moment)
>
> Thank you

Hi.

Just Dump them and buy 2 new sets with the largest MAh you can find. They
are nice and cheap so don't go getting fussed over them.

Roy G

banjo

"Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vIfjh.22995$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Stephen Badger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
>>
>> One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
>> (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand
>> at
>> the moment)
>>
>> Thank you
>>

> Hi.
>
> Just Dump them and buy 2 new sets with the largest MAh you can find.
> They are nice and cheap so don't go getting fussed over them.
>
> Roy G

don't buy the " uniross " made batts,
they are absolutely rubbish.

Mick Harris

> don't buy the " uniross " made batts,
> they are absolutely rubbish.

I'll second that!
I have had 2 sets of uniross in the past (thought the first set was a fluke)
and they
have both been very poor at retaining a charge, if you give them a full
charge and put
them to one side as spares, they would be totally flat within 2 days!!
And even when used right after a full charge, they don't last long at all!!

Mick Harris

"Jfixit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%1bjh.8272$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mick Harris wrote:
>> PS.
>> It sounds like your batteries are either old & exhausted, or just low
>> powered, (somewhere around the 1000 mAh range) ?

> I have had great luck with the new "Eneloop" by sanyo in my SB800 they
> last at least 2 times longer then the older regular 2,300 or 2,500 mAh
> NI-MH . The "ENELOOPS" are rated at 2,000 mAh with a min. of 1,900 mAh

Hmm, not heard of those b4, I'll have to give them a try.
Cheers Jf

ATB
Mick

Ron Hunter

Stephen Badger wrote:
> Is there a way to tell which rechargables take more pictures per charge?
>
> One's I have that seem to last only a couple of dozen pictures then die.
> (They are a brand that came with the camera, but I don't recall the brand at
> the moment)
>
> Thank you

Is this a long-term experience, or are they new batteries? Older types
of NIMH batteries needed a few charge/discharge cycles to reach their
full potential. Or it may be that your camera has a rather high cutoff
voltage. Most cameras consider the batteries dead at 1.1 volt. Even a
tiny variation on this value will cause markedly lower picture counts as
they batteries start at a nominal 1.25 volts when fully charged.
If this is the case, you may see much better operation from the lithium
disposables.

editor@netpath.net

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Is this a long-term experience, or are they new batteries? Older types
> of NIMH batteries needed a few charge/discharge cycles to reach their
> full potential. Or it may be that your camera has a rather high cutoff
> voltage. Most cameras consider the batteries dead at 1.1 volt. Even a
> tiny variation on this value will cause markedly lower picture counts as
> they batteries start at a nominal 1.25 volts when fully charged.
> If this is the case, you may see much better operation from the lithium
> disposables.

Not at all in my experience. Lithium disposables that I used were
very problematic in cold weather - but NiMH rechargeables never had
that problem.

Harry Flaxman

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Is this a long-term experience, or are they new batteries? Older types
>> of NIMH batteries needed a few charge/discharge cycles to reach their
>> full potential. Or it may be that your camera has a rather high cutoff
>> voltage. Most cameras consider the batteries dead at 1.1 volt. Even a
>> tiny variation on this value will cause markedly lower picture counts as
>> they batteries start at a nominal 1.25 volts when fully charged.
>> If this is the case, you may see much better operation from the lithium
>> disposables.

> Not at all in my experience. Lithium disposables that I used were
> very problematic in cold weather - but NiMH rechargeables never had
> that problem.
>
> No $4 to park! No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com

Same here, in cold weather, the nimh batteries are great! It's the
camera that gives me problems, motor slows down, lenses get frosted.
You amost need a heater for your camera bag.

I've been chargning an old Nikon nimh battery all day today with no
luck. It hasn't received much use up to 5 years ago. Then, I just put
it away with the camera, out of the camera, and let it be. There
should'nt be problems. nIMH batteries are great that way. They seem to
last forever, and the prices are coming way down. I just paid 6.95 for
batteries for my Rebel XT on ebay. Bought two of them so I'm all set.
Now, all I need is a charger for the car that won't blow the car fuse.
I have an ipod transmitter that blew the fuse right away. It was a 20
amp fuse and it blew. Can't understand that one. It takes rechargeable
batteries, but why buy batteries when you have dc car power for the
ipod. I mean, it's great on long trips. Better than satellite radio.

Oh well. Replace the car fuse and see what happens. Sometimes some of
these gizmos reverse polarity.

Harry
Canon 350D Rebel XT

Best Holidays!