Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Memory card question--Sony or SanDisk

Reply
Thread Tools

Memory card question--Sony or SanDisk

 
 
kayla
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
I have a Sony Handycam and I want to buy a larger memory card. It
came with a Sony Stick Duo Adaptor. Can I use a SanDisk Memory Stick
PRO Duo which costs a third of the Sony brand? What is the difference
between the two?

Lori
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:04:59 -0500, kayla wrote:

> I have a Sony Handycam and I want to buy a larger memory card. It
> came with a Sony Stick Duo Adaptor. Can I use a SanDisk Memory Stick
> PRO Duo which costs a third of the Sony brand? What is the difference
> between the two?
>
> Lori


I should think the biggest difference involved would be the price.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
kayla
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
Sorry. I meant what is the difference between Memory Stick Duo and
the Memory Stick PRO Duo>




On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:13:32 -0700, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:04:59 -0500, kayla wrote:
>
>> I have a Sony Handycam and I want to buy a larger memory card. It
>> came with a Sony Stick Duo Adaptor. Can I use a SanDisk Memory Stick
>> PRO Duo which costs a third of the Sony brand? What is the difference
>> between the two?
>>
>> Lori

>
>I should think the biggest difference involved would be the price.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Shawn Hirn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

> Sorry. I meant what is the difference between Memory Stick Duo and
> the Memory Stick PRO Duo>


If "memory" serves, one's smaller than the other. Check Sony's web site
for details.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Henning
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

> Can I use a SanDisk Memory Stick PRO Duo which costs a third of
> the Sony brand? What is the difference between the two?


I have a SanDisk 1GB card which repeatedly generates errors in the
files. It has a 5 year warranty. It is not the camera since I have
Lexar, PNY, Dane Elec, and other SanDisk cards that work perfectly. I
contacted SanDisk and they say, where does Sony/Minolta state that the
SanDisk is compatible with their camera? And I say, they don't but
SanDisk says that their disk is compatible with my camera on the SanDisk
website compatibility chart. So, what I am saying is that apparently the
SanDisk warranty is worthless.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
 
Reply With Quote
 
kayla
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-25-2006
So I probably would be better off to buy a Sony brand and be sure.

Lori


On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 08:23:20 -0500, Stephen Henning <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:
>
>> Can I use a SanDisk Memory Stick PRO Duo which costs a third of
>> the Sony brand? What is the difference between the two?

>
>I have a SanDisk 1GB card which repeatedly generates errors in the
>files. It has a 5 year warranty. It is not the camera since I have
>Lexar, PNY, Dane Elec, and other SanDisk cards that work perfectly. I
>contacted SanDisk and they say, where does Sony/Minolta state that the
>SanDisk is compatible with their camera? And I say, they don't but
>SanDisk says that their disk is compatible with my camera on the SanDisk
>website compatibility chart. So, what I am saying is that apparently the
>SanDisk warranty is worthless.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Linkd@mindspring.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-25-2006
I have 3 Sony ditigal cameras and 2 sony camcorders that used memory
sticks for photos, I have used SanDisk Memory Sticks, both regualar
and Pros and have never and I mean never had a problem. It would not
suprise me that they come from the same factory as Sony.

Christ, you can buy twice or more total memory for the same dollar
value by not buying the inflated Sony name brand.

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 23:14:32 -0500, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

>So I probably would be better off to buy a Sony brand and be sure.
>
>Lori
>
>
>On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 08:23:20 -0500, Stephen Henning <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:
>>
>>> Can I use a SanDisk Memory Stick PRO Duo which costs a third of
>>> the Sony brand? What is the difference between the two?

>>
>>I have a SanDisk 1GB card which repeatedly generates errors in the
>>files. It has a 5 year warranty. It is not the camera since I have
>>Lexar, PNY, Dane Elec, and other SanDisk cards that work perfectly. I
>>contacted SanDisk and they say, where does Sony/Minolta state that the
>>SanDisk is compatible with their camera? And I say, they don't but
>>SanDisk says that their disk is compatible with my camera on the SanDisk
>>website compatibility chart. So, what I am saying is that apparently the
>>SanDisk warranty is worthless.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bryan Olson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-26-2006
kayla wrote:
> Sorry. I meant what is the difference between Memory Stick Duo and
> the Memory Stick PRO Duo>


The Duo is a smaller form-factor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick


--
--Bryan
 
Reply With Quote
 
M. Fricker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2006
Bryan Olson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> kayla wrote:
> > Sorry. I meant what is the difference between Memory Stick Duo and
> > the Memory Stick PRO Duo>

>
> The Duo is a smaller form-factor.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick


Dah! Which Duo, the Pro Duo or the straight Duo?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bryan Olson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2006
M. Fricker wrote:
> Bryan Olson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> kayla wrote:
>>> Sorry. I meant what is the difference between Memory Stick Duo and
>>> the Memory Stick PRO Duo>

>> The Duo is a smaller form-factor.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick

>
> Dah! Which Duo, the Pro Duo or the straight Duo?


Ah, I see now, sorry. In Sony Memory-Stick speak, "Duo"
means the smaller form factor, "Pro" means higher capacity.
"Pro" and "Duo" are orthogonal.


--
--Bryan
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuji 512 Type 'H' xd Card & Sandisk 6 in 1 PC Card Adapter a_h_1969@hotmail.com Digital Photography 1 08-26-2006 11:56 AM
Sandisk 512MB Ultra II Cheaper Than Sandisk 512MB Regular SD Card powrwrap@aol.com Digital Photography 0 12-28-2005 09:37 PM
New Sandisk CF not compatable with older Sandisk USB readers (SDDR-75) Colin Digital Photography 8 12-25-2004 07:11 PM
Re: SANDISK CARD CF CARD, CORRUPT AND UNREADABLE, puan Digital Photography 0 07-21-2003 11:20 PM
Re: SANDISK CARD CF CARD, CORRUPT AND UNREADABLE, Elflan Digital Photography 3 07-21-2003 10:17 PM



Advertisments