Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 - Upgrading from the 18-70 Lens?

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon D70 - Upgrading from the 18-70 Lens?

 
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
On 22 Dec 2006 21:00:29 GMT, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:05:30 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote:
>
>> In article <i8Wih.27$6_.19@trnddc07>, Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> If and when the cameras
>>> start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
>>> unusable.

>>
>> Why?

>
>Because the manufacturer designed them to not work on full frame cameras?


But they will still work as intended, on the cameras they are designed
for.
Two points:
Full Frame DSLRs aren't going to drive APS sensor DSLRs off the market
anytime soon.
If/when they do, APS sensor cameras won't suddenly stop functioning.

Obsloete, possibly, *if/when* that happens.
Unusable? Not until the APS sensor cameras stop working.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
Wayne wrote:

> Fred, the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is already a classic - however it is
> still hard to find it in stock, at least for the $750 price. The


Surely you jest? The 18-200mm VR a classic? I just about peed myself when
I read this. The 58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor and the 28mm f/1.4 are classics.

> 18-70 mm lens may be slightly sharper, but the VR feature (image
> stabilization) is a huge factor offsetting that. With VR, you can
> (usually) shoot at 200 mm and 1/15 second handheld with decent
> results (not entirely failsafe - take a couple of shots). One
> downside is that it is mostly a f/5.6 lens, so this 1/15 second
> opportunity comes up more often.


I agree that the 18-70 is a bit sharper and has less distortion. As for the
VR on the 18-200 it is more akin to a placebo. It does work remarkably
well, but the light gathering ability of the 18-200 is severely attenuated
compared to a comparable focal length of a pro lens shooting at the same
aperture. The bottom line, you need a hell of a lot of light to wake this
lens up. Comparing consumer grade lenses to consumer grade lenses the 18-70
is the true "classic" in that category.

> It is hard to say how future-proof any of the DX lenses are (DX are
> the lenses for "digital" only, like the 18-70 or 18-200). If and when
> the cameras start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will
> be obsolete and unusable.


The lens is 100% future-proof. You wait and get one for $750 and play with
it for several weeks and throw it up on eBay to make a few bucks. Now,
since you have some spare cash burning a hole in your pocket go out and buy
some real lenses.






Rita

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neil Harrington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006

"Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i8Wih.27$6_.19@trnddc07...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>
>>I'd like something with some decent zoom. Is there such a thing as an
>>all-in-one lens that will do say 18-200?
>>
>>And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as
>>future
>>proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future D-SLR
>>cams)?

>
>
> Fred, the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens is already a classic - however it is
> still
> hard to find it in stock, at least for the $750 price. The 18-70 mm lens
> may
> be slightly sharper, but the VR feature (image stabilization) is a huge
> factor
> offsetting that. With VR, you can (usually) shoot at 200 mm and 1/15
> second
> handheld with decent results (not entirely failsafe - take a couple of
> shots).
> One downside is that it is mostly a f/5.6 lens, so this 1/15 second
> opportunity comes up more often.
>
> It is hard to say how future-proof any of the DX lenses are (DX are the
> lenses for "digital" only, like the 18-70 or 18-200). If and when the
> cameras
> start having full frame sensors, then the DX lenses will be obsolete and
> unusable.


I hardly think so. The vast majority of digital photographers will still be
quite content with the so-called APS-size sensor, which will always have
some advantages over full frame anyway. In fact, the vast majority of
digital camera users are perfectly content with sensors far smaller than
that, in their compacts and ultracompacts.

All these people thinking some day they'll need to move up to full frame --
reminds me of all those people 50 years ago who insisted 35mm was too small
for serious photography and you really had to have medium format or 4x5 to
make sharp pictures.

Neil


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

>But they will still work as intended, on the cameras they are designed
>for.
>Two points:
>Full Frame DSLRs aren't going to drive APS sensor DSLRs off the market
>anytime soon.
>If/when they do, APS sensor cameras won't suddenly stop functioning.



Yes, true, sticking with outdated techology has fewer concerns about
the "future-proofing" question.


>Obsloete, possibly, *if/when* that happens.
>Unusable? Not until the APS sensor cameras stop working.



Unusable: trying to use your DX lenses on your new full frame body.

When/if full frame sensors are affordable, we WILL have it. Grandma may not
as soon, but a DSLR fan will. If future-proofing the purchase is the
question, this is a primary concern.

My own attitude is to not be so concerned with future-proofing. Times
change. If into the hobby, bite the bullet, buy the good new stuff.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil Harrington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006

"Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Azdjh.191$Ej7.35@trnddc02...

[ . . . ]
>
> Unusable: trying to use your DX lenses on your new full frame body.


I don't want a "new full frame body."

>
> When/if full frame sensors are affordable, we WILL have it.


Not me.


> Grandma may not
> as soon, but a DSLR fan will.


Not *this* dSLR fan.


> If future-proofing the purchase is the
> question, this is a primary concern.


For the miniscule percentage of dSLR users who are waiting breathlessly for
the supposedly wonderful benefit of full frame, that's probably true. For
most of us it's of no concern whatever, let alone primary (or prime, as we
say).

Neil


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:20:32 GMT, Wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>
>>But they will still work as intended, on the cameras they are designed
>>for.
>>Two points:
>>Full Frame DSLRs aren't going to drive APS sensor DSLRs off the market
>>anytime soon.
>>If/when they do, APS sensor cameras won't suddenly stop functioning.

>
>
>Yes, true, sticking with outdated techology has fewer concerns about
>the "future-proofing" question.
>
>
>>Obsloete, possibly, *if/when* that happens.
>>Unusable? Not until the APS sensor cameras stop working.

>
>
>Unusable: trying to use your DX lenses on your new full frame body.


Unusable *to that person.*
The lens isn't unusable; it's the combination that's unusable.
If you sell your ASP sensor camera, why not sell the lenses with it?
That does away with the "unusable" problem.
>
>When/if full frame sensors are affordable, we WILL have it. Grandma may not
>as soon, but a DSLR fan will. If future-proofing the purchase is the
>question, this is a primary concern.


You are speaking for a lot of people, here.
*If* full-frame DSLRs become as common as APS DSLRs are, the APS DSLRs
don't just disappear. And that won't happen any time soon, either.
>
>My own attitude is to not be so concerned with future-proofing. Times
>change. If into the hobby, bite the bullet, buy the good new stuff.


Good.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

>*If* full-frame DSLRs become as common as APS DSLRs are, the APS DSLRs
>don't just disappear. And that won't happen any time soon, either.



But it certainly will happen of course, and we will likely be surprised by
how soon. It has only been a few years ago (less than ten years, if that)
that we all had film cameras (Yes, some people still do, but they are
fading fast). Then the first popularity of digital cameras taking images
smaller than 1 megapixel, which barely printed snapshots. Possibly a few
of those still in use today too? But today is a very different world of
course, technology changes very fast.

Conversely, I have one Nikon lens left that is more than 40 years old. The
f/3.5 55mm macro, upgraded to AI, used with manual metering for years, and
yes, it is still a great lens, but I have replaced it too. Compatibility
is an issue, even if difficult to predict.


The question was:

>And what do I need to look for to make sure any lens I buy will be as

future
>proof as possible? (i.e. fit as many possible different future D-SLR

cams)?

My answer was that the todays DX lenses will not work on future full-frame
bodies.

What is hard about that? If concerned with maximum future-proofing, one
can buy many full-frame lenses today. Larger, heavier, more expense, no
doubt better optics, and more future-proof, at least in that one regard
which can be predicted today.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon 8800 vs Nikon 990 vs Canon 8MP Rebel vs Nikon D70 fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com Digital Photography 10 06-07-2005 06:53 PM
100% Compatible?? Nikon D70 & Nikon 24-120/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR 2145NID AF Zoom Lens Xtx99 Digital Photography 2 01-13-2005 06:31 AM
in S.E. Asia : Canon EOS 300d with 100 macro ED vs. Nikon D70 with Nikon 105 macro ? J. Cod Digital Photography 0 09-29-2004 05:46 AM
Nikon SB26 flash and Nikon D70 Fred B. Digital Photography 1 09-02-2004 05:01 PM
Nikon D100, Nikon D70 Canon Rebel 300D side by side specs, Linda_N Digital Photography 0 01-31-2004 03:01 AM



Advertisments