Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Storage & retrieval of movie still photos?

Storage & retrieval of movie still photos?

Maria

Hi all,

over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real photoprints, 20 x 30 cm.
I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and archive them.

Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors he has directed; or an
actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for that year or country.
It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would be one or more of my
stills.

Does anyone know of such software available?
In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and CD's, or am I wrong
here?

In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30 data-elements per movie
still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.

Curious,
Maria

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Maria
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real photoprints,
> 20 x 30 cm.
> I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
> archive them.
>
> Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors he
> has directed; or an
> actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
> that year or country.
> It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would be
> one or more of my
> stills.
>
> Does anyone know of such software available?
> In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and
> CD's, or am I wrong
> here?
>
> In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
> data-elements per movie
> still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
>
> Curious,
> Maria

Almost any program that will allow entry and search on keyword metadata
will do what you want.

Apple Aperture (Macs only) is probably the premier program at doing
that. Particularly, its smart search/album criteria allows any number
of different criteria to be used for a search, just as you describe.
It's designed exactly as a tool to do photo management such as you
describe, plus RAW image editing, but it may be overkill for you (the
image editing may not be that important to your described task) - and
unfortunately you appear as if you're on a Windoze box, so it won't
even run for you.

Similarly oriented, Adobe Lightroom (beta) runs on both Mac & Win and
does what you want, but not as elegantly (IMO) as Aperture at this
time. It's currently in free beta, so you could try it out. If you do
have access to a Mac, Aperture also has a free 30 day trial.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

M Berger

Canto Cumulus is a resource management program designed
for media. It will do what you want and more.

Maria wrote:

> Does anyone know of such software available?
> In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and CD's, or am I wrong
> here?
>
> In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30 data-elements per movie
> still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
>
> Curious,
> Maria

Cgiorgio

"Maria" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real
> photoprints, 20 x 30 cm.
> I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
> archive them.
>
> Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors
> he has directed; or an
> actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
> that year or country.
> It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would
> be one or more of my
> stills.
>
> Does anyone know of such software available?
> In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's
> and CD's, or am I wrong
> here?
>
> In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
> data-elements per movie
> still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
>
> Curious,
> Maria

Ulead Photo Album (included with Photo Impact) and many other Album programs
will do that. Current version of PhotoImpact is 12, but 10 will do as well
(possibly available in low price version).

Maria

Ken Lucke wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Maria
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real photoprints,
> > 20 x 30 cm.
> > I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
> > archive them.
> >
> > Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors he
> > has directed; or an
> > actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
> > that year or country.
> > It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would be
> > one or more of my
> > stills.
> >
> > Does anyone know of such software available?
> > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and
> > CD's, or am I wrong
> > here?
> >
> > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
> > data-elements per movie
> > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
> >
> > Curious,
> > Maria

> Almost any program that will allow entry and search on keyword metadata
> will do what you want.
>
> Apple Aperture (Macs only) is probably the premier program at doing
> that. Particularly, its smart search/album criteria allows any number
> of different criteria to be used for a search, just as you describe.
> It's designed exactly as a tool to do photo management such as you
> describe, plus RAW image editing, but it may be overkill for you (the
> image editing may not be that important to your described task) - and
> unfortunately you appear as if you're on a Windoze box, so it won't
> even run for you.
>
> Similarly oriented, Adobe Lightroom (beta) runs on both Mac & Win and
> does what you want, but not as elegantly (IMO) as Aperture at this
> time. It's currently in free beta, so you could try it out. If you do
> have access to a Mac, Aperture also has a free 30 day trial.
>
> --
> You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
> reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
> the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
> independence.
> -- Charles A. Beard

Thanks. Will those apps interface/integrate with a website for making my stills available for
purchase?
Do you have a view as to how long these apps will be around?
Would hate to embark on an app that becomes obsolete...
Maria

Maria

M Berger wrote:

> Canto Cumulus is a resource management program designed
> for media. It will do what you want and more.
>
> Maria wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of such software available?
> > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's and CD's, or am I wrong
> > here?
> >
> > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30 data-elements per movie
> > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
> >
> > Curious,
> > Maria

Thanks -- will look into that!
Maria

Maria

Cgiorgio wrote:

> "Maria" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real
> > photoprints, 20 x 30 cm.
> > I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
> > archive them.
> >
> > Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors
> > he has directed; or an
> > actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
> > that year or country.
> > It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would
> > be one or more of my
> > stills.
> >
> > Does anyone know of such software available?
> > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's
> > and CD's, or am I wrong
> > here?
> >
> > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
> > data-elements per movie
> > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
> >
> > Curious,
> > Maria

> Ulead Photo Album (included with Photo Impact) and many other Album programs
> will do that. Current version of PhotoImpact is 12, but 10 will do as well
> (possibly available in low price version).

Thansk.
What would be your estimate as to obsolesence of those apps; will they live another say 5 years?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ken Lucke wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Maria
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > over the years I gathered thousands of stillphotos, I mean real
> > > photoprints,
> > > 20 x 30 cm.
> > > I would like to digitally scan those, store in .jpg or .bmp, comment and
> > > archive them.
> > >
> > > Archive them in a way that I could look up say a director and the actors
> > > he
> > > has directed; or an
> > > actor and find his co-actors; type a year and show me my still-result for
> > > that year or country.
> > > It should work similarly intelligent like IMDB but then teh result would
> > > be
> > > one or more of my
> > > stills.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of such software available?
> > > In fact it sounds like software available for managing audio such as LP's
> > > and
> > > CD's, or am I wrong
> > > here?
> > >
> > > In short it should be a random-accessable database consisting of say 30
> > > data-elements per movie
> > > still that I could retrieve by single or multiple queries.
> > >
> > > Curious,
> > > Maria

> > Almost any program that will allow entry and search on keyword metadata
> > will do what you want.
> >
> > Apple Aperture (Macs only) is probably the premier program at doing
> > that. Particularly, its smart search/album criteria allows any number
> > of different criteria to be used for a search, just as you describe.
> > It's designed exactly as a tool to do photo management such as you
> > describe, plus RAW image editing, but it may be overkill for you (the
> > image editing may not be that important to your described task) - and
> > unfortunately you appear as if you're on a Windoze box, so it won't
> > even run for you.
> >
> > Similarly oriented, Adobe Lightroom (beta) runs on both Mac & Win and
> > does what you want, but not as elegantly (IMO) as Aperture at this
> > time. It's currently in free beta, so you could try it out. If you do
> > have access to a Mac, Aperture also has a free 30 day trial.
> >
> > --
> > You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
> > reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
> > the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
> > independence.
> > -- Charles A. Beard

> Thanks. Will those apps interface/integrate with a website for making my
> stills available for
> purchase?

Yes & no. Either will create a website, in several flavors. BUT you
are restricted to those flavors, with creeating additional ones
extremely difficult to impossible. In my expperience, it's best to use
a separate web-creation program.

> Do you have a view as to how long these apps will be around?
> Would hate to embark on an app that becomes obsolete...
> Maria

Both are just emerging in the last year. Neither will be going away
soon (they are targetting new, virtually untapped markets), and if they
did, they are both useable as they are now, even should support be
dropped tomorrow.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard