Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Need some advice please

Need some advice please

James Bousquet

I have a BS in computer science and have been a software
developer for 10 yrs, sometimes in MS shop, sometimes
not. For the first time I find myself "between jobs" and
the notion of MCSD certification on the resume sounds
good. But I will be working from home, of course. My
question is, what is the best way to secure software tools
necessary to use self-paced teaching modules. I bought
MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web
Applications with Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and
Microsoft Visual C#® .NET, Second Edition
It tells me that I need XPpro and Visual.NET software...Am
I eligible for student pricing? Are these software
products best bought separately at best available price,
or is it recommended to obtain some of them as part of
MSDN membership? Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

emg

I'm surprised your book didn't come with the CD containing the eval edition
of .NET - - ususally good for 60 or 90 days. Not optimal, but if you're
really strapped for cash . . .

VS.Net will install on older operating systems (Windows 2000 should be
fine) but the text of the book assumes the admin tools are the XP Pro
version - - you can probably work around this it's just that the book won't
exactly match your system.

I typically buy an MSDN subscription once every couple years - - it's
awfully expensive to renew each year. However I use not just Visual Studio
but some of the OS licenses as well in my home lab.

Typically to qualify for student licensing you have to purchase from some
school - - like a local community college. You can't just say "Hey, I'm
learning this so I'm a student".

"James Bousquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:076001c386af$a0b6d000$(E-Mail Removed)...
I have a BS in computer science and have been a software
developer for 10 yrs, sometimes in MS shop, sometimes
not. For the first time I find myself "between jobs" and
the notion of MCSD certification on the resume sounds
good. But I will be working from home, of course. My
question is, what is the best way to secure software tools
necessary to use self-paced teaching modules. I bought
MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web
Applications with Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and
Microsoft Visual C#® .NET, Second Edition
It tells me that I need XPpro and Visual.NET software...Am
I eligible for student pricing? Are these software
products best bought separately at best available price,
or is it recommended to obtain some of them as part of
MSDN membership? Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

Jay

Thanks very much - The book does have a CD - Duh - it
never occurred to me to look there - don't have much
experience with MS giving stuff away - but I'll check it
out.

.merlin

"don't have much experience with MS giving stuff away "

lol ; )