Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Laser VS Inkjet

Laser VS Inkjet

I just bought a Samsung color laser copier.
I made some test with HP Laser Photo and Imaging Paper ( 4.1 mil, 32 lb, 103
brightness)
The emulation is 100% and very good. However it is not like having prints
made at the photo lab.
The photo lab prints are produced on thicker and glossier paper.

"Steve m..." <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com> wrote in message
> The new HP color laser printers when used with the supported photo paper
> print almost the same quality as the inkjet version. We have a 3550 and
> new 4600 HP and both of them print nicely with the edge in quality of
> photo on the 4600. I also have a 3210 HP photosmart inkjet and it's the
> best all-in-one device I've ever owned. Prints excellent photographic
> copies and scans with higher quality than any scanner i've owned before as
> well. And it's very easy to use. You basically press a button on the
> front of the printer and the computer links and starts up the programs
> automatically. Very nice indeed.
>
> Steve
>
> <Clint S.> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
>> wants
>> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
>> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
>> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
>> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.
>>
>> Thanks Much!!
>>
>> Clint
>>
>> Your Portion Of Light
>>
>> Whether you are a brilliant flame or
>> but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
>> needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

John Turco

Aaron wrote:

<heavily edited, for brevity>

> 1. Always use your printer's branded ink. Third-party inks are a waste
> of time and money. It may appear to be a cost savings, and they
> will claim their performance is comparable, but they're full of
> @#$*.

Hello, Aaron:

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 825, and I've been refilling both its own,
bundled black and color cartridges, and "Insten" branded ones, using a
Stratitec EIR500S "Premium Series Black & Color Photo-Certified Inkjet
Refill Kit."

To these untrained eyes, anyhow, there's very little (if any) difference
between Stratitec's ink and Epson's.

> 2. By sticking with Canon/Epson, your friend will be able to
> experiment with third-party artistic inkjet papers tested for those
> major brands and available from such fine shops as Red River Paper
> Company (www.redrivercatalog.com). I have used their papers for
> years and have always been satisfied. They do not test their papers
> for other brands of printers.

Once, again, I employ third-party photo paper, and it looks great. I've
only printed a few 4"x6" prints (nothing bigger), but at a minimum,
they're definitely as good as anything I've ever gotten from Wal-Mart.

> 3. A six- or nine-color inkjet is somewhat more cost-effective than a
> color laser because you can replace 1/6 or 1/9 of your ink at a
> time, running each individual tank to its absolute terminus. Color
> laser printers almost exclusively use quad-cartridge CMYK systems
> (although some throw in a fifth color). This somehow translates
> into a cost savings, but I'm not a mathematician.
>
> I actually can't think of any reasons your friend should consider
> color laser if what he wants are photographic prints.

I heartily concur, on color lasers being totally unsuitable for serious
photography.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

mark_digital©

<Clint S.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
> wants
> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.
>
> Thanks Much!!
>
> Clint

I doubt there's a direct cost savings per page advantage with laser if both
types are running fine. But if you care to factor in spoilage and the mean
time before failure, I say the laser will beat out the inkjet.
9 crayons are better than 4 crayons.Underneath plastic or glass and some
passing time it's hard to say whether anyone would notice or care.