Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Laser VS Inkjet

Laser VS Inkjet

Clint S.

Hi Folks,

I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that wants
to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

Thanks Much!!

Clint

Your Portion Of Light

Whether you are a brilliant flame or
but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

Charles Schuler

<Clint S.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
> wants
> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

Color lasers are not very good for photographs.

Cynicor

Charles Schuler wrote:
> <Clint S.> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
>> wants
>> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
>> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
>> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
>> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

> Color lasers are not very good for photographs.

The dynamic range on a color laser is very limited compared with even my
$100 OfficeJet. They don't print on glossy. (There's laser "glossy"
paper that's not glossy.) There's a significant difference in the
quality of the two types of printers, and it's not one of those "you'd
have to be an expert to tell the difference" deals either.

jeremy

<Clint S.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
> wants
> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

IF the budget does not allow for an excellent printer, and if it is not
absolutely essential that you have your prints at once, consider uploading
the images to www.dalelabs.com. You will receive real photo prints, on real
silver halide paper, just like back in the film days. I prefer these so
much over inkjet prints that I do not bother owning an inkjet printer at
all.

The only drawback is that you must wait for the prints to arrive by mail.

Clint S.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:16:15 -0500, Cynicor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Charles Schuler wrote:
>> <Clint S.> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
>>> wants
>>> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
>>> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
>>> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
>>> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

>> Color lasers are not very good for photographs.

>The dynamic range on a color laser is very limited compared with even my
>$100 OfficeJet. They don't print on glossy. (There's laser "glossy"
>paper that's not glossy.) There's a significant difference in the
>quality of the two types of printers, and it's not one of those "you'd
>have to be an expert to tell the difference" deals either.

My concern is that he won't be happy down the road with the cost per print
because of the high priced ink tanks that hold very little ink. My
suggestion to him was to look into sub-dye or color laser printers however
I'm not sure what kind of quality the newer color lasers are producing.
I've read some reviews online that suggest that the newer color lasers are
pretty dang close to the more expensive 9 tank ink-jets and cost far less
down the road to maintain.

Your Portion Of Light

Whether you are a brilliant flame or
but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

Dave Martindale

"jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>IF the budget does not allow for an excellent printer, and if it is not
>absolutely essential that you have your prints at once, consider uploading
>the images to www.dalelabs.com. You will receive real photo prints, on real
>silver halide paper, just like back in the film days. I prefer these so
>much over inkjet prints that I do not bother owning an inkjet printer at
>all.

>The only drawback is that you must wait for the prints to arrive by mail.

Not necessarily. Many of the local photo-oriented stores (this is
Vancouver BC) now accept images for printing on their minilab
electronically. You can upload images to their website, or take a
CD-R or flash media to the store in person to get the data into their
system. They print, and you can pick them up in person (or have them
mailed).

For the place I've used, turnaround is usually a few hours for 4x6
prints. They claim a day for large prints. Still not as fast as owning
your own printer, but good enough for many purposes.

Dave

David J. Littleboy

<Clint S.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
> wants
> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

If he can afford a D2x, he can afford a good inkjet...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

jeremy

"Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:em732v$a66$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>IF the budget does not allow for an excellent printer, and if it is not
>>absolutely essential that you have your prints at once, consider uploading
>>the images to www.dalelabs.com. You will receive real photo prints, on
>>real
>>silver halide paper, just like back in the film days. I prefer these so
>>much over inkjet prints that I do not bother owning an inkjet printer at
>>all.

>>The only drawback is that you must wait for the prints to arrive by mail.

> Not necessarily. Many of the local photo-oriented stores (this is
> Vancouver BC) now accept images for printing on their minilab
> electronically. You can upload images to their website, or take a
> CD-R or flash media to the store in person to get the data into their
> system. They print, and you can pick them up in person (or have them
> mailed).
>
> For the place I've used, turnaround is usually a few hours for 4x6
> prints. They claim a day for large prints. Still not as fast as owning
> your own printer, but good enough for many purposes.
>
> Dave

I've tried local printing at a few places, and I was dissatisfied with the
results vs. online printers that process at their own location and send the
prints to me by mail.

Lars Forslin

I think a colir laser can be good for many purposes, and for everyday use I
think they are quite satisfying. It depends on if we are talking high
quality prints or not. There are several advantages with a color laser,
speed and cost are two big ones. With a color laser you don't need expensive
paper.
Besides, inkjets are so cheap nowadays that you can get both and use the
inkjet for extra luxury purposes, like large prints for framing and such.
I think the Xerox 6120 is an excellent printer, it has also got PostScript
if you need to proof stuff for offset printing.
http://www.office.xerox.com/color-pr...6120/enus.html
Otherwise Minoltas look-alike is probably as good and cheaper.

/Lars

"Clint S." <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:16:15 -0500, Cynicor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Charles Schuler wrote:
>>> <Clint S.> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Color lasers are not very good for photographs.

>>The dynamic range on a color laser is very limited compared with even my
>>$100 OfficeJet. They don't print on glossy. (There's laser "glossy"
>>paper that's not glossy.) There's a significant difference in the
>>quality of the two types of printers, and it's not one of those "you'd
>>have to be an expert to tell the difference" deals either.

> My concern is that he won't be happy down the road with the cost per print
> because of the high priced ink tanks that hold very little ink. My
> suggestion to him was to look into sub-dye or color laser printers however
> I'm not sure what kind of quality the newer color lasers are producing.
> I've read some reviews online that suggest that the newer color lasers are
> pretty dang close to the more expensive 9 tank ink-jets and cost far less
> down the road to maintain.
>

> Your Portion Of Light
>
> Whether you are a brilliant flame or
> but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
> needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

Kinon O'Cann

<Clint S.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
> wants
> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

If he's hell bent on a color laser, have him sell the D2X since he won't be
getting the most out of it. Cololr lasers are OK, but not even close to the
quality of even a low price ink jet. This is a no-brainer.