Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ritz Camera.

Ritz Camera.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

>> Nope, it's not a keeper. I do like the fact that it's going to
>> bring me $900+ on eBay. I did order another from Ritz and I'm still
>> on a wait list from another vendor.

> What is it that you dislike about the lens?

The poor build quality (lens creep) and poor light gathering
characteristics. There are a few other things mentioned in previous
threads. This wasn't a surprise to me since I knew this before ordering it.
In theory it's a great convenience lens, but the $750 price tag doesn't
justify what you get. This would be a perfect $425 general-purpose lens.

Rita

Neil Harrington wrote:

>> Nope, it's not a keeper. I do like the fact that it's going to
>> bring me $900+ on eBay.

> Aw. But I'm not really surprised, as it does not seem like your kind
> of a lens. I know you like that pricey, heavy f/2.8 stuff.

I was just looking for a general purpose walk around lens that would allow
me to not bring all the gear when I go on casual events. In this regard the
lens almost breaks into the realm of OK just as long as there's lots of
light.

>> I did order another from Ritz and I'm still on a wait list from
>> another vendor.

> I've been thinking of ordering another 70-300 VR from Camera World
> for a similar reason. When they start to actually get delivered my
> guess is they'll be super-popular, may be in short supply, and may
> bring higher prices just as the 18-200 did for quite a while. If so,
> I'd be able to compare the two lenses carefully, keep the best one
> and sell the other on eBay.

I'd be careful with flipping the 70-300 VR as this hasn't yet received the
insanely high parroted hype the 18-200 has.

> But can you really get $900+ for an 18-200 *now* when anyone can buy
> one from Ritz or Camera World for $750 just as you did? I would think
> anyone likely to spend that kind of money on a lens would know enough
> to check Ritz and other sellers.

Absolutely! Look at the closed auction and you'll see some people paying
over $1,000 simply because they can't wait 3-11 months on Ritz's wait list.

Rita

Neil Harrington

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil Harrington wrote:

[ . . . ]

>> I've been thinking of ordering another 70-300 VR from Camera World
>> for a similar reason. When they start to actually get delivered my
>> guess is they'll be super-popular, may be in short supply, and may
>> bring higher prices just as the 18-200 did for quite a while. If so,
>> I'd be able to compare the two lenses carefully, keep the best one
>> and sell the other on eBay.

> I'd be careful with flipping the 70-300 VR as this hasn't yet received the
> insanely high parroted hype the 18-200 has.

Not yet, but I'm anticipating that it will, especially if as I expect it
turns out to be a much better lens than the 18-200. If I'm right, I get the
lenses early and at the MSRP, and make a profit on one of 'em. If I'm wrong,
I may lose a little selling one of 'em on eBay but I'll still get to choose
between the two to see which one is best (assuming there's any difference).
The way I see it it's like any other investment -- you buy when the price is
low and you think it'll go up. As it's only $530 anyway, what the heck.

>> But can you really get $900+ for an 18-200 *now* when anyone can buy
>> one from Ritz or Camera World for $750 just as you did? I would think
>> anyone likely to spend that kind of money on a lens would know enough
>> to check Ritz and other sellers.

> Absolutely! Look at the closed auction and you'll see some people paying
> over $1,000 simply because they can't wait 3-11 months on Ritz's wait
> list.

How long did you have to wait for yours?

Neil

Neil Harrington wrote:

>> Absolutely! Look at the closed auction and you'll see some people
>> paying over $1,000 simply because they can't wait 3-11 months on
>> Ritz's wait list.

> How long did you have to wait for yours?

Damn near a full year.

Rita

Robert Haar

On 12/23/06 4:28 PM, "Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>>> Absolutely! Look at the closed auction and you'll see some people
>>> paying over $1,000 simply because they can't wait 3-11 months on
>>> Ritz's wait list.

>> How long did you have to wait for yours?

> Damn near a full year.

I got my Nikon 18-200 VR lens in just over 3 months through Ritz. Ordered in
early June, arrived in late September.

Neil Harrington

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>>> Absolutely! Look at the closed auction and you'll see some people
>>> paying over $1,000 simply because they can't wait 3-11 months on
>>> Ritz's wait list.

>> How long did you have to wait for yours?

> Damn near a full year.

Oy! My 70-300 VR shipped last Friday from Camera World, by the way, Fedex
Ground from Kansas, and is scheduled for delivery here (on the east coast)
this Thursday. I ordered it about a month ago. I'll see what it's like
before deciding whether to order another. If this one is great I won't
bother.

Neil

Neil Harrington wrote:

>> Damn near a full year.

> Oy! My 70-300 VR shipped last Friday from Camera World, by the way,
> Fedex Ground from Kansas, and is scheduled for delivery here (on the
> east coast) this Thursday. I ordered it about a month ago. I'll see
> what it's like before deciding whether to order another. If this one
> is great I won't bother.

Great! I hope you like it.

Rita

Ockham's Razor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
> >> Damn near a full year.

> > Oy! My 70-300 VR shipped last Friday from Camera World, by the way,
> > Fedex Ground from Kansas, and is scheduled for delivery here (on the
> > east coast) this Thursday. I ordered it about a month ago. I'll see
> > what it's like before deciding whether to order another. If this one
> > is great I won't bother.

> Great! I hope you like it.
>

> Rita

Post your findings.

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.

Neil Harrington

"Ockham's Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

>> > Oy! My 70-300 VR shipped last Friday from Camera World, by the way,
>> > Fedex Ground from Kansas, and is scheduled for delivery here (on the
>> > east coast) this Thursday. I ordered it about a month ago. I'll see
>> > what it's like before deciding whether to order another. If this one
>> > is great I won't bother.

>> Great! I hope you like it.
>>

>> Rita

> Post your findings.

I will. It just arrived a couple of hours ago, in fact, a day ahead of
schedule which is nice. Looks and feels great in every way, a perfect match
to the 18-70 in overall finish, feel and build quality -- which sure pleases
me! It'll be next week at least before I have a chance to really try it out
and compare with other lenses, as I'm quite tied up now with post-Christmas
stuff, visits etc. Hope we have some decent weather for a while.

Neil