Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ritz Camera.

Ritz Camera.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

George K wrote:

> If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
> state"s use tax

Nope! Reread what I wrote. Here is what Ritz says on how they handle sales
tax.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/help/shopp...ng.htm#anchor3

"You never pay sales tax! We are not required to collect sales and use tax
on deliveries throughout the US, except where we have business locations and
in those states we pay ALL sales taxes (California, Georgia, Kansas and
Maryland). For customers in these states, our price includes all applicable
taxes. To satisfy Maryland consumer reporting rules, we will show sales tax
and an amount equal to the sales tax will be discounted from our regular low
price. The order total will be the same as our regular low prices without
tax."

Rita

> Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>>> I thought you didn't like Ritz?!

>> I only like them if I can get a good deal from them, which is about
>> twice. Nobody else was able to deliver that lens to me for $750.
>>
>>> I've often used Camera World, which is now part of Ritz (or vice
>>> versa). They seem to be pretty much the same entity, but I use
>>> Camera World because they don't charge sales tax. I don't know
>>> about Ritz, but since they have business presences in many states I
>>> presume they have to charge sales tax at least in those states.

>> Yes they do have to charge sales tax in many states. Here's how they
>> handled my purchase since they listed the lens as $749.99 no tax and
>> free shipping. They charged me $714.28 plus $35.71 tax for a grand
>> total of $749.99.
>>

>> Rita

Neil Harrington

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>>> Ritz is the greatest. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have the
>>> world's best lens, the Nikon 18-200, for $750.

>> I thought you didn't like Ritz?!

> I only like them if I can get a good deal from them, which is about twice.
> Nobody else was able to deliver that lens to me for $750.
>
>> I've often used Camera World, which is now part of Ritz (or vice
>> versa). They seem to be pretty much the same entity, but I use Camera
>> World because they don't charge sales tax. I don't know about Ritz,
>> but since they have business presences in many states I presume they
>> have to charge sales tax at least in those states.

> Yes they do have to charge sales tax in many states. Here's how they
> handled my purchase since they listed the lens as $749.99 no tax and free
> shipping. They charged me $714.28 plus $35.71 tax for a grand total of
> $749.99.

Now that you mention it I remember seeing Ritz's ads describing that
arrangement.

So you really like the 18-200. It's good to see that its price has finally
come down to the MSRP, at least at Ritz / Camera World. I'll get one in a
few months -- I don't have much use for such a lens here in the northeast in
the winter.

Neil

Neil Harrington

"Oliver Costich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[ . . . ]

> Unfortunately in many parts of the country all that is left in the way
> of camera shops is Ritz, Wolf and whatever else they go by these days.
> Thank god for B&H.

B&H is okay and so is Adorama, but *usually* you can do better at Buydig.com
or its sister company Beach Camera, as far as cameras, lenses and some other
accessories are concerned. Their prices are almost always lower, they are
absolutely reliable and they ship immediately, with free shipping on many
items.

Neil

Neil Harrington

"Aaron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And lo, irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> emerged from the ether
> and spake thus:
>> Not the cheapest shop in the Mall, but
>> just picked up a Nikon A400 for $80.

A "Nikon A400"? I don't think so.

"A400" sounds like one of those off-brand camera models.

Neil

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
George K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
> state"s use tax

He's right. You are ALWAYS required to pay your states tax, even though
the retailer isn't always required to collect it for them. If the
retailer doesn't, it becomes a "use tax", and YOU are responsible for
sending it to your states revenue department.

Granted, this is currently almost never enforced or even thought about;
but it's on the books and may not ALWAYS be ignored.

In the case of Ritz's "we'll pay the tax for you", I'm not too sure of
the legality. If they're really reducing the price to compensate for
sales tax, they may actually be over-collecting tax - and where does
the overage go to..?

Cynicor

Scott Schuckert wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> George K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
>> state"s use tax

> He's right. You are ALWAYS required to pay your states tax, even though
> the retailer isn't always required to collect it for them. If the
> retailer doesn't, it becomes a "use tax", and YOU are responsible for
> sending it to your states revenue department.

I got a letter from NY State a few years ago, because I bought a travel
bag in London, put my stuff in it, flew home with it, and then basically
got rid of it when I got home. NY determined that I had "primarily used"
the bag in NY State, and so I owed them use tax.

Neil Harrington wrote:

> So you really like the 18-200. It's good to see that its price has
> finally come down to the MSRP, at least at Ritz / Camera World. I'll
> get one in a few months -- I don't have much use for such a lens here
> in the northeast in the winter.

Nope, it's not a keeper. I do like the fact that it's going to bring me
$900+ on eBay. I did order another from Ritz and I'm still on a wait list
from another vendor.

Rita

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scott Schuckert wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> George K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
>>> state"s use tax

>> He's right. You are ALWAYS required to pay your states tax, even though
>> the retailer isn't always required to collect it for them. If the
>> retailer doesn't, it becomes a "use tax", and YOU are responsible for
>> sending it to your states revenue department.

> I got a letter from NY State a few years ago, because I bought a travel
> bag in London, put my stuff in it, flew home with it, and then basically
> got rid of it when I got home. NY determined that I had "primarily used"
> the bag in NY State, and so I owed them use tax.

How did NYS know you bought the bag?

Remember way back when IKEA opened? One in Hicksville and one off the
Jersey Turnpike. IKEA advertised in NYC on buses, etc for people to shop in
the Jersey store and save on the sales tax difference (Jersey's tax was at
least 4% lower at the time). Someone in the NYS tax bureau got wind of this
and a bunch of tax agents were sent to the Jersey store and they stuck a
notice on each car with a NY license plate warning them that they are
responsible to pay the difference in sales tax to NYS. What nerve! They
were chided into stopping this practice when people raised a ruckus because
it was akin to spying on them.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>> So you really like the 18-200. It's good to see that its price has
>> finally come down to the MSRP, at least at Ritz / Camera World. I'll
>> get one in a few months -- I don't have much use for such a lens here
>> in the northeast in the winter.

> Nope, it's not a keeper. I do like the fact that it's going to bring me
> $900+ on eBay. I did order another from Ritz and I'm still on a wait list
> from another vendor.

What is it that you dislike about the lens?

Neil Harrington

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil Harrington wrote:
>
>> So you really like the 18-200. It's good to see that its price has
>> finally come down to the MSRP, at least at Ritz / Camera World. I'll
>> get one in a few months -- I don't have much use for such a lens here
>> in the northeast in the winter.

> Nope, it's not a keeper. I do like the fact that it's going to bring me
> $900+ on eBay.

Aw. But I'm not really surprised, as it does not seem like your kind of a
lens. I know you like that pricey, heavy f/2.8 stuff.

> I did order another from Ritz and I'm still on a wait list from another
> vendor.

I've been thinking of ordering another 70-300 VR from Camera World for a
similar reason. When they start to actually get delivered my guess is
they'll be super-popular, may be in short supply, and may bring higher
prices just as the 18-200 did for quite a while. If so, I'd be able to
compare the two lenses carefully, keep the best one and sell the other on
eBay.

But can you really get $900+ for an 18-200 *now* when anyone can buy one
from Ritz or Camera World for $750 just as you did? I would think anyone
likely to spend that kind of money on a lens would know enough to check Ritz
and other sellers.

Neil