Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Remote shutter release for Nikon Coolpix 8700

Remote shutter release for Nikon Coolpix 8700

Carol

Thank you in advance for your help.

I shot with a Nikon Coolpix 8700 and need some type of remote shutter
release that will allow me to be about 12 feet away from the camera.
Using the self timer feature would be useless for my needs. I live in a
rural area and two young male deer (two points) have started to come up
to the house. I want to set the camera up on a tripod and shoot them
from inside the house. If I am outside at all they spook and run away.

Barry L. Wallis

Carol wrote:
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> I shot with a Nikon Coolpix 8700 and need some type of remote shutter
> release that will allow me to be about 12 feet away from the camera.
> Using the self timer feature would be useless for my needs. I live in a
> rural area and two young male deer (two points) have started to come up
> to the house. I want to set the camera up on a tripod and shoot them
> from inside the house. If I am outside at all they spook and run away.

They used to sell a remote release for the 8700 (it's the same one for
the 8800). However, I cannot find it on the Nikon web site any more.
When I was buying the Coolpix I ended up with the 8800 because it came
with the remote release and I could get it for less than the cost of the
8700 plus the remote release.

--
- Barry

Carol

Hi Barry

I know a shutter release was made for the 8700 but it was much to
short. I need something that is about 12 feet long because the deer
come as close as 8 feet from my front door. I will need a few extra
feet to get the shutter release into the house.

Randy Berbaum

Carol <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Hi Barry

: I know a shutter release was made for the 8700 but it was much to
: short. I need something that is about 12 feet long because the deer
: come as close as 8 feet from my front door. I will need a few extra
: feet to get the shutter release into the house.

Take a look at the plug. Some camera manufacturers tell you that they use
a proprietary plug. But I found that some cameras (like my pentax) use a
standard micro-mini stereo plug. So I went and got a 20 ft earphone
extension cable and a couple adapters between the micro mini to mini (that
the cable had) for each end. This lets me extend the wired remote to
almost any length.

I don't know the specifics of your camera but it may be worth a look and
possibly a trip to your local Radio Shack.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

ASAAR

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 04:58:57 +0000 (UTC), Randy Berbaum wrote:

> : I know a shutter release was made for the 8700 but it was much to
> : short. I need something that is about 12 feet long because the deer
> : come as close as 8 feet from my front door. I will need a few extra
> : feet to get the shutter release into the house.
>
> Take a look at the plug. Some camera manufacturers tell you that they use
> a proprietary plug. But I found that some cameras (like my pentax) use a
> standard micro-mini stereo plug. So I went and got a 20 ft earphone
> extension cable and a couple adapters between the micro mini to mini (that
> the cable had) for each end. This lets me extend the wired remote to
> almost any length.
>
> I don't know the specifics of your camera but it may be worth a look and
> possibly a trip to your local Radio Shack.

Nikon's MC-EU1 cable release is more complex than releases that
are basically little more than make/break electrical switches. It's
a computerized cable release that communicates with the camera at
19.2kbd. While it's possible to make a 12 or 20ft extension, to
prevent high data error rates it would be best to use high quality
cables (low capacitance), use gold connectors where possible (they
don't have to be real gold - the gold colored connectors are *much*
quieter and don't have the signal dropouts typically seen with the
cheap silver colored connectors). Given some of the features of the
remote such as zooming the lens and scrolling through images in
playback mode, it's not surprising that the remote's cord is only 31
inches long.

According to Nikon's website, their Coolpix Remote Control
software is for the CP8400 and CP8800. It might be worth checking
to see if it's also compatible with the CP8700. For example, when
reading the information for the CP8700's remote control, Nikon only
indicates that it's for their CP880, CP990, L1 and S4 models.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25692

Paul Bartram

"Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I shot with a Nikon Coolpix 8700 and need some type of remote shutter
> release that will allow me to be about 12 feet away from the camera.
> Using the self timer feature would be useless for my needs. I live in a
> rural area and two young male deer (two points) have started to come up
> to the house. I want to set the camera up on a tripod and shoot them
> from inside the house. If I am outside at all they spook and run away.

This might or might not be of use, but see
http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html for a home-made solution
which should work on pretty much any camera. For a 12 foot reach, you'd
probably have to cobble together a cable from plastic tubing and piano /
fence wire, but then I guess for just this one subject you don't want to
spend big bucks on store bought gear!

Paul

Joan

The best thing about that method, is that it won't do any harm to the
camera.

--
Joan

"Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:45839820$0$29330$(E-Mail Removed) u...
:
: This might or might not be of use, but see
: http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html for a home-made
solution
: which should work on pretty much any camera. For a 12 foot reach,
you'd
: probably have to cobble together a cable from plastic tubing and
piano /
: fence wire, but then I guess for just this one subject you don't
want to
: spend big bucks on store bought gear!
:
: Paul
:
:

Carol

Good Morning Paul

The link you sent look great! I am heading out to my local Home Depot
and to Radio Shack and see if I can put something together.

One of the male deer was on my deck this morning looking in my kitchen
window. I am a former city girl I have only lived in the 'country' for
a few months and all this is very exciting to me. I am going to try to
sit on the deck early in the morning and see if they will come near
enough to me to shoot them without a remote.

Again, thank you all for great info and suggestions!!!

Carol

Carol

Thank you Paul your linked info worked like a charm!!!!

I was not able to create a cable long enough to take the pictures from
inside the house. These were taken from my deck sitting behind a tarp.
The bucks did not come back but I was able to get some shots of a few
does and their babies.

Not being able to make any adjustments before I shot them was an
interesting experience. I did not edit any of the shots.

http://picasaweb.google.com/A18436/W...ey=7t8svgEN6DY

Again thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Carol

On Dec 16 2006, 1:54 am, "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR
optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> > I shot with aNikonCoolpix 8700 and need some type of remoteshutter
> >releasethat will allow me to be about 12 feet away from the camera.
> > Using the self timer feature would be useless for my needs. I live in a
> > rural area and two young male deer (two points) have started to come up
> > to the house. I want to set the camera up on a tripod and shoot them
> > from inside the house. If I am outside at all they spook and run away.This might or might not be of use, but seehttp://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.htmlfor a home-made solution

> which should work on pretty much any camera. For a 12 foot reach, you'd
> probably have to cobble together a cable from plastic tubing and piano /
> fence wire, but then I guess for just this one subject you don't want to
> spend big bucks on store bought gear!
>
> Paul

Paul Bartram

"Carol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

(Referring to ) http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html

> Again thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

No problem - it was passed onto me by someone else, that's how it goes in a
good community like photographers.

Incidentally, I'm very jealous of your view. Currently I'm looking out my
window at the side of the wooden house next door, which I could lean out and
touch!

Paul