Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 4GB AGL brand SD card - can't format?

4GB AGL brand SD card - can't format?

Edward

WIndows said it can't complete the format, so I tried DOS and this is
what I get.

C:\>format h: /u /fs:fat32
Insert new disk for drive H:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is FAT32.
Verifying 969M
Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? SD_CARD
Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

Ed Ruf

On 14 Dec 2006 05:18:10 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Edward"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>WIndows said it can't complete the format, so I tried DOS and this is
>what I get.
>
>C:\>format h: /u /fs:fat32
>Insert new disk for drive H:
>and press ENTER when ready...
>The type of the file system is RAW.
>The new file system is FAT32.
>Verifying 969M
>Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
>Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? SD_CARD
>Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

What happens when you try to format in the camera itself? Many folks
feel it's always best . BTW, I'm suspicious of the Verifying 969M"
message. Also are you sure you're card reader is compatible with
media larger than 2GB?
-
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

George Kerby

On 12/14/06 7:26 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"Ed Ruf >" <"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2006 05:18:10 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Edward"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> WIndows said it can't complete the format, so I tried DOS and this is
>> what I get.
>>
>> C:\>format h: /u /fs:fat32
>> Insert new disk for drive H:
>> and press ENTER when ready...
>> The type of the file system is RAW.
>> The new file system is FAT32.
>> Verifying 969M
>> Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
>> Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? SD_CARD
>> Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

> What happens when you try to format in the camera itself? Many folks
> feel it's always best . BTW, I'm suspicious of the Verifying 969M"
> message. Also are you sure you're card reader is compatible with
> media larger than 2GB?
> -
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
format the card.

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
>They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
>format the card.

See http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=197503
for some of the issues that appear to be at the root of things. As I
have no SD cards bigger then 1GB and no need to go larger I've not
been totally paying attention to all the "ruckus"
-
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

George Kerby

On 12/14/06 11:57 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
>> They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
>> format the card.

> See http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=197503
> for some of the issues that appear to be at the root of things. As I
> have no SD cards bigger then 1GB and no need to go larger I've not
> been totally paying attention to all the "ruckus"
> -
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Thanks Ed, a very interesting read.

Edward

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
> >They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
> >format the card.

> See http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=197503
> for some of the issues that appear to be at the root of things. As I
> have no SD cards bigger then 1GB and no need to go larger I've not
> been totally paying attention to all the "ruckus"
> -
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

I was able to format it in my Firewire card reader, but my USB.
This card has a date with ebay...

John Bean

On 14 Dec 2006 11:53:01 -0800, "Edward"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ed Ruf wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >Canon doesn't even acknowledge the existence of legitimate 4GB SD cards.
>> >They told me so when I called tech support about my camera's inability to
>> >format the card.

>> See http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=197503
>> for some of the issues that appear to be at the root of things. As I
>> have no SD cards bigger then 1GB and no need to go larger I've not
>> been totally paying attention to all the "ruckus"
>> -
>> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
>> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

>I was able to format it in my Firewire card reader, but my USB.
>This card has a date with ebay...

I'd assume then that the problem lies in your USB reader
rather than the card.

--
John Bean

iws

"Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> WIndows said it can't complete the format, so I tried DOS and this is
> what I get.
>
> C:\>format h: /u /fs:fat32
> Insert new disk for drive H:
> and press ENTER when ready...
> The type of the file system is RAW.
> The new file system is FAT32.
> Verifying 969M
> Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
> Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? SD_CARD
> Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable.

Many card readers can't format those large cards and the cards are not
compatible with all cameras. My Canon A620 has no problem with a couple of 4
GB cards I've tried and Transcend has an inexpensive card reader that works
fine with them. If your camera can't format them then, then I'd be leery of
using them. Here's a list - not necessarily complete - of card compatibility
http://www.patriotmem.com/support/flashCompatp.jsp