Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Astronauts Always Pick the Nikkor For Zero-G

Astronauts Always Pick the Nikkor For Zero-G

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Just look at all those beautiful Nikkors floating around in zero-g. It's
just another example of taking the proper tools with you when you have to
get the job done. Sadly, Canon washed out in basic training. Why wasn't
there ever a single Canon film or dSLR ever selected to go into space?

Caution! This image is highly erotic due to the inordinately large supply
of Nikkors.

<http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-14/hires/iss014e08795.jpg>

Rita

[BnH]

Saw this a while back.

Now ... how many Nikon [d]SLR in that image ?
I saw 4.

=bob=

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just look at all those beautiful Nikkors floating around in zero-g. It's
> just another example of taking the proper tools with you when you have to
> get the job done. Sadly, Canon washed out in basic training. Why wasn't
> there ever a single Canon film or dSLR ever selected to go into space?
>
> Caution! This image is highly erotic due to the inordinately large supply
> of Nikkors.
>
> <http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-14/hires/iss014e08795.jpg>
>

> Rita

ray

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:34:42 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

> Just look at all those beautiful Nikkors floating around in zero-g. It's
> just another example of taking the proper tools with you when you have to
> get the job done. Sadly, Canon washed out in basic training. Why wasn't
> there ever a single Canon film or dSLR ever selected to go into space?
>
> Caution! This image is highly erotic due to the inordinately large supply
> of Nikkors.
>
> <http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-14/hires/iss014e08795.jpg>
>

> Rita

That's cool, but I don't find myself shooting in zero-g very often. And my
budget has limitations.

Annika1980

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Just look at all those beautiful Nikkors floating around in zero-g. It's
> just another example of taking the proper tools with you when you have to
> get the job done. Sadly, Canon washed out in basic training. Why wasn't
> there ever a single Canon film or dSLR ever selected to go into space?

They also send monkees into space. Monkeys love Nikons!

> <http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-14/hires/iss014e08795.jpg>

Must be an old photo. They're still using film!
Boy, I knew NASA was strapped for cash, but this is ridiculous.

if

Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> Just look at all those beautiful Nikkors floating around in zero-g. It's
> just another example of taking the proper tools with you when you have to
> get the job done.

Funny, for the moonshots they always used to take Hasselblads. I believe
the only mod made to them was silver finish to reflect heat.

bluezfolk

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Just look at all those beautiful Nikkors floating around in zero-g. It's
> just another example of taking the proper tools with you when you have to
> get the job done. Sadly, Canon washed out in basic training. Why wasn't
> there ever a single Canon film or dSLR ever selected to go into space?
>
> Caution! This image is highly erotic due to the inordinately large supply
> of Nikkors.
>
> <http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-14/hires/iss014e08795.jpg>
>

> Rita

And all this time I thought the space program was a waste of time
and money, I guess its valuable for camera testing.

Eric

Annika1980 wrote:

> Must be an old photo. They're still using film!

That only proves that the totally awesome Nikkors are optimized for FF
digital.

> Boy, I knew NASA was strapped for cash, but this is ridiculous.

Must be! That's why you buy great tools only once instead of warehousing
loads of substandard ones with high failure rates.

Rita

Kinon O'Cann

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just look at all those beautiful Nikkors floating around in zero-g. It's
> just another example of taking the proper tools with you when you have to
> get the job done. Sadly, Canon washed out in basic training. Why wasn't
> there ever a single Canon film or dSLR ever selected to go into space?

Back in the 60s, they tried using Nikons for the Apollo program, but the
failure rate was high, and image quality was not up to snuff. One of the
astronauts, Gus Grissom, I think, suggest the Hasselblads. The rest is
history. Hassy created a few special cams for the moonshots, as well.
Trouble is, the cams are still on the moon; only the film magazines made the
return trip.

Why aren't Canons used? Got me. Do you really know? Is there a reason other
than, maybe, marketing by Nikon? Don't get me wrong, the Nikons are
wonderful cams, but maybe it's because NASA needed compatibility with some
other branch of government, Canon wasn't on a government buy list, etc. I
doubt the reason is anything technical.

> Caution! This image is highly erotic due to the inordinately large supply
> of Nikkors.
>
> <http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-14/hires/iss014e08795.jpg>
>

> Rita

Pat

> Why aren't Canons used? Got me. Do you really know? Is there a reason
> other than, maybe, marketing by Nikon? Don't get me wrong, the Nikons are
> wonderful cams, but maybe it's because NASA needed compatibility with some
> other branch of government, Canon wasn't on a government buy list, etc. I
> doubt the reason is anything technical.

It could be something just as simple as Nikon donated the cameras.....

Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 00:45:40 GMT, Kinon O'Cann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just look at all those beautiful Nikkors floating around in zero-g. It's
>> just another example of taking the proper tools with you when you have to
>> get the job done. Sadly, Canon washed out in basic training. Why wasn't
>> there ever a single Canon film or dSLR ever selected to go into space?

> Back in the 60s, they tried using Nikons for the Apollo program, but the
> failure rate was high, and image quality was not up to snuff. One of the
> astronauts, Gus Grissom, I think, suggest the Hasselblads. The rest is
> history. Hassy created a few special cams for the moonshots, as well.
> Trouble is, the cams are still on the moon; only the film magazines made the
> return trip.

If memory serves, there's one of the cameras, plus a bunch of
lenses/etc., in the Smithsonian. It could be a test version, rather than
one that actually made the trip.

-dms