Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D40 vs D70, both with 18-70 AF-S DX

D40 vs D70, both with 18-70 AF-S DX

Matt Jones

If I shoot RAW with a D40 and a D70 both fitted with a 18-70 A-FS, and
process the results in the same photo editing software, would there be any
difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?

Thanks
Matt

iggie

Matt Jones wrote:
> If I shoot RAW with a D40 and a D70 both fitted with a 18-70 A-FS, and
> process the results in the same photo editing software, would there be any
> difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Gregory Blank

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Matt Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If I shoot RAW with a D40 and a D70 both fitted with a 18-70 A-FS, and
> process the results in the same photo editing software, would there be any
> difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?
>
> Thanks
> Matt

No difference in resolution- Heck there's no difference in resolution
for the given native size of a D80 and a D70. Now if you down sample the
D80 file it will be sharper but not at the native 12x8 using the same
lens. There may be less noise in your D40 ,...as the D80 does appear to
have less noise at a given ISO. Does the D40 go down to 100 ISO? The d70
only does 200 ISO.....so the 100 ISO may be less noisy also. Less noise
can be a slightly better image if your sharpening the file before
printing. As for color accuracy,....that is rather open ended.
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.

Rich

Matt Jones wrote:
> If I shoot RAW with a D40 and a D70 both fitted with a 18-70 A-FS, and
> process the results in the same photo editing software, would there be any
> difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?
>
> Thanks
> Matt

Only difference is one camera was made for humans, the other for dwarfs.

Bill

"Matt Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I shoot RAW with a D40 and a D70 both fitted with a 18-70 A-FS,
> and
> process the results in the same photo editing software, would there
> be any
> difference in sharpness, resolution, colour accuracy etc?

I haven't seen any tests which show that yet, but it's possible.

The D50 produces less noisy images compared to the D70, but the D50 is
known to be slightly less sharp when shooting RAW. We don't yet know
if the D40 has the same sensor as the D50 or if it's similar but yet
another slightly different design.

Note that while the D50 and D70 are both 6mp models, their sensors are
not identical. They have different AA filters (which contributes to
sharpness) and in-camera processing is also different. I wouldn't be
surprised if the D40 has the same sensor as the D50, but it may not.

--
Happy Holidays!