Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My Spider Macros at YouTube

My Spider Macros at YouTube

Mardon

I put some of my macro photos of spiders from this summer onto a video and
posted it to YouTube today. They are all stills taken with my 20D. It's my
first time posting to YouTube. Hope you 'enjoy'
the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ZutPT8fbg

Christopher Campbell

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:19:13 -0800, Mardon wrote
(in article <lwBfh.468203$(E-Mail Removed)>) :

> I put some of my macro photos of spiders from this summer onto a video and
> posted it to YouTube today. They are all stills taken with my 20D. It's my
> first time posting to YouTube. Hope you 'enjoy'
> the video!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ZutPT8fbg

Personally, I would never post pictures on YouTube. It just does not seem to
me to be the best way to show of my work. That said...

Lose the music and weird graphics. It distracts from your work.

The spiders are okay, but I think you want to work on your depth of field and
focusing. Some of the images are cropped well beyond what the resolution will
stand. And, of course, there are just the limitations of YouTube's display
capability. YouTube will make even the greatest photos appear awful.

There are plenty of photography sites out there that will show your pictures
off to good advantage. I personally like Photography Cafe and Photographer's
Corner. I also like the Trek photography web sites. Visit those for a bit and
you will see why YouTube might not be up to your standards.

Colin B

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lwBfh.468203$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I put some of my macro photos of spiders from this summer onto a video and
>posted it to YouTube today. They are all stills taken with my 20D. It's my
>first time posting to YouTube. Hope you 'enjoy'
> the video!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ZutPT8fbg

Yes, very nicely put together, it just shows what can be done with your
photographic work! Just one comment, I wonder whether you thought about the
need to get copyright approval for the music, see this recent thread:

http://www.photography-forums.com/sh...&t=79598&pp=10

Mardon

"Christopher Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ZutPT8fbg

> Personally, I would never post pictures on YouTube. It just does not seem
> me to be the best way to show of my work. That said...
>
> Lose the music and weird graphics. It distracts from your work.
>
> The spiders are okay, but I think you want to work on your depth of field
> and
> focusing. Some of the images are cropped well beyond what the resolution
> will
> stand. And, of course, there are just the limitations of YouTube's display
> capability. YouTube will make even the greatest photos appear awful.
>
> There are plenty of photography sites out there that will show your
> pictures
> off to good advantage. I personally like Photography Cafe and
> Photographer's
> Corner. I also like the Trek photography web sites. Visit those for a bit
> and
> you will see why YouTube might not be up to your standards.

YouTube is only for a bit of fun; not for serious photographers. I
recognize that. I did the video for laughs. It's fun to try new stuff. I
have my own web site were I display my 'real' photos. It's here:
http://www.JustPhotos.ca

Some of the photos used in my YouTube video are on my macros photos page
here: http://www.JustPhotos.ca/galleries/macro/

Getting good depth of field with extreme macros is pretty much impossible.
Most of the spiders were under 7mm, many under 5mm and one of them was less
than 2mm.

Mardon

"Colin B" <Colin http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...

> Yes, very nicely put together, it just shows what can be done with your
> photographic work! Just one comment, I wonder whether you thought about
> the need to get copyright approval for the music, see this recent thread:

Thanks. No worry about copyright on the audio. I only use royalty free
music or original clips created with Acid Music Studio software. Most
royalty free music is on CD's that you purchase once and you're then free to
use the music for soundtracks without any subsequent payment. There are
also several web sites that provide free downloads of short royalty free
clips (under 5 minutes sort of thing) without charge.

Christopher Campbell

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:36:24 -0800, Mardon wrote
(in article <Y1Hfh.401717$(E-Mail Removed)> ):

> http://www.JustPhotos.ca

Wow! Very nice. I really like this.

Mardon

"Christopher Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://www.JustPhotos.ca

> Wow! Very nice. I really like this.

Thanks!

John Turco

Mardon wrote:

> "Colin B" <Colin (E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>
> > Yes, very nicely put together, it just shows what can be done with your
> > photographic work! Just one comment, I wonder whether you thought about
> > the need to get copyright approval for the music, see this recent thread:

> Thanks. No worry about copyright on the audio. I only use royalty free
> music or original clips created with Acid Music Studio software. Most
> royalty free music is on CD's that you purchase once and you're then free to
> use the music for soundtracks without any subsequent payment. There are
> also several web sites that provide free downloads of short royalty free
> clips (under 5 minutes sort of thing) without charge.

Hello, Mardon:

That's all very well, but, did each of those spiders in question, sign a
valid model release form? <G>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Mardon

John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello, Mardon:
> That's all very well, but, did each of those spiders in question, sign
> a valid model release form? <G>
> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

No but I don't anticipate any lawsuits. I think those spiders were quit
happy to exit the photo session with their lives in tact. My wife had
other ideas. Model release aside, they were fortunate to have had a
sympathetic photographer! BTW, I did give the cast end-credits. Hope
you noticed.

John Turco

Mardon wrote:

> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Mardon:
> > That's all very well, but, did each of those spiders in question, sign
> > a valid model release form? <G>
> > Cordially,
> > John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

> No but I don't anticipate any lawsuits. I think those spiders were quit
> happy to exit the photo session with their lives in tact. My wife had
> other ideas. Model release aside, they were fortunate to have had a
> sympathetic photographer! BTW, I did give the cast end-credits. Hope
> you noticed.

Hello, Mardon:

Uh, no; I didn't bother viewing your photogenic critters, personally, as
I hate bug pics. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>