Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why do some eyes twinkle?

Why do some eyes twinkle?

ronviers@gmail.com

Hi,
I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
people's eyes.

Thanks,
Ron

ASAAR

On 12 Dec 2006 01:42:49 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
> the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
> than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
> conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
> person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
> people's eyes.

It's neither the catch lights nor the director's instructions that
are responsible for those twinkles. It's casting. When really
special twinkles are needed, the studios hire real stars!

- - - -

"Twinkle, twinkle little bat,
How I wonder where you're at,
Up above the world you fly,
Like a tea tray in the sky." - Mat Hatter

"Twinkle, twinkle, twinkle, twinkle--" - dormouse

"I'll never go there again."
"It's the stupidest tea-party I ever was at in all my life!" - Alice

Jay Beckman

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
> I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
> the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
> than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
> conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
> person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
> people's eyes.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Sometimes there is a light mounted right on top of the camera called a
"Kicker Light" and this will add more than the usual amount of light in the
eyes.

Don't forget what they're able to do in post production too...

Good example is in the most recent version of King Kong with Jack Black and
Naomi Watts. Watch carefully when Jack Black is trying to convince Naomi
Watts' character to be in his movie. There is a sparkle effect in her eyes
that actually grows as the he starts to win her over. May have been done
with a live ring light but probably was added in post. They use this effect
several times in the movie.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

Christopher Campbell

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:42:49 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed). com>):

> Hi,
> I notice that on TV and in movies, possibly in real life, that some of
> the actor's eyes twinkle more than others. I am talking about more
> than the normal well placed catch lights. Does the director make a
> conscious decision and tell the director of photography to make that
> person's eyes twinkle or is it something about the physics of some
> people's eyes.

As Jay noted, lighting is important to making eyes twinkle.

But it is easier to get some eyes to twinkle more than others. People who
have heavy eyelids make it harder for the photographer. There is just a
smaller area to work with, is all.

ronviers@gmail.com

Christopher Campbell wrote:

> As Jay noted, lighting is important to making eyes twinkle.
>
> But it is easier to get some eyes to twinkle more than others. People who
> have heavy eyelids make it harder for the photographer. There is just a
> smaller area to work with, is all.

I feel sure there is more too it. I will post back when I have some
examples. Steve Mariuci from the NFL channel and that girl that starred
in Ghost come to mind but I am working from memory so I have no way to
confirm it for now. Anyway, thanks for the interesting and helpful