Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Foto Tip column by Mark Alberhasky

New Foto Tip column by Mark Alberhasky

Wayne J. Cosshall

Hi All,

I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
international photography speaker:
<http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php>
It is the simple things we often forget.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

John Phillips

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:07:15 +1100, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
>international photography speaker:
><http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php>
>It is the simple things we often forget.

So where's the tip?

All I get is a page full of ads from Google, a portrait of the "author"
and some Amazon ads.
--
Regards,

John Phillips
Sydney, Australia

Duncan

The tip John is how to drive more people to your site to pump up your hit
rate!!!

Agree with you that it has nothing to offer.

Duncan

"John Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:07:15 +1100, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
>>international photography speaker:
>><http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php>
>>It is the simple things we often forget.

> So where's the tip?
>
> All I get is a page full of ads from Google, a portrait of the "author"
> and some Amazon ads.
> --
> Regards,
>
> John Phillips
> Sydney, Australia

ASAAR

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:20:38 +1100, John Phillips wrote:

>> I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
>> international photography speaker:
>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php>
>> It is the simple things we often forget.

> So where's the tip?
>
> All I get is a page full of ads from Google, a portrait of the "author"
> and some Amazon ads.

There's a list of them just below the ad that's below the author's
portrait (both the ad and the portrait are the same size). Most web
browsers should show them if you scroll down the page slightly.
This isn't very hard to do unless your browser has no scroll bars or
is otherwise broken. If you scroll down a little bit, you should
see these articles (one actual link uncloaked):

> 11 Dec 06 - Checking The Time
>
> 13 Oct 06 - A Perspective on Lenses
>
> 5 Sept 06 - Get In Over Your Head
> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=675>
>
> The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.
>
> Give yourself permission to make great images
>
> Break the rules
>
> What is the hardest part about making a great image?
>
> Looking Ahead

Wayne J. Cosshall

If you scroll down, depending on the size of your browser window, you
will find a series of links to the tip articles he has presented so far.
If you want to go to the latest tip it is:
<http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=806>

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

ray

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:07:15 +1100, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
> international photography speaker:
> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php>
> It is the simple things we often forget.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne

IMHO a very poorly designed web site. The links look like normal text
instead of links, and the vital info is "below the fold".

R.J Heath

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
> If you scroll down, depending on the size of your browser window, you
> will find a series of links to the tip articles he has presented so far.
> If you want to go to the latest tip it is:
> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=806>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne

Why not just post that the first time

Wayne J. Cosshall

R.J Heath wrote:
> Why not just post that the first time

It never occurred to me that someone couldn't scroll down. Besides, if
you haven't read any of Mark's columns before, the way I posted people
would see not only that post but his others.

You can't please everyone.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

ray

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:41:57 +1100, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

> R.J Heath wrote:
>> Why not just post that the first time

> It never occurred to me that someone couldn't scroll down. Besides, if
> you haven't read any of Mark's columns before, the way I posted people
> would see not only that post but his others.
>
> You can't please everyone.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne

Two prime tenets of web site design:

1) make the links look like links
2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

Wayne J. Cosshall

ray wrote:
> Two prime tenets of web site design:
>
> 1) make the links look like links
> 2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

I can tell you that I am constantly considering changes to the site, and
will take the preceding comments on board, as I always do. However, if
you have actually designed a site with as much content as my one has,
you'll know that there are a lot of issues in the design of the site,
many of which pull you in opposite directions. Moving away from the
'traditional' blue underlined links is not something you do lightly.
Many sites have moved away from this, to a greater or lesser extent,
such as:
http://www.theage.com.au/
and
http://www.nytimes.com/
Others have not. It is, in fact, all a juggling act, usually informed by
assessments of the types of users visiting a site and their level of
proficiency.

There is the rollover change of color when you hover the cursor, but I
will change that to include an underline so it is even clearer.

The specifics of Mark's page are flexible. I put the cruise ad in to
support Mark. Without it the links to the individual columns comes up
much higher. I think I'll move it below the column links.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall