Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson 9600

Epson 9600

stargsr

Hi,

I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the print
once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce panelized
artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.

Any help would be appreciated

stargr

John McWilliams

stargsr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
> 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
> change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
> begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the print
> once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce panelized
> artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're likely
to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important print job?

--
John McWilliams

Mark²

stargsr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
> 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
> change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
> begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the
> print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce
> panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> stargr

Run a nozzle check to see if there is a clog. Epsons at this level are very
good at clearing themselves via the nozzle check (See your documentation if
you're not familiar). Before inserting the new cartridge, you should rock
it back and forth...upside-down, etc. to be sure no settling has
occurred--which can lead to clogs. You can also removed a
previously-installed cartridge to do this, followed by simply re-inserting
it into the printer.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Mark²

John McWilliams wrote:
> stargsr wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
>> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently
>> when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when
>> the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line
>> acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I
>> produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.

> Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
> likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
> print job?

Normally, changing in the middle of a job shouldn't be a problem. I do it
all the time with my Epson 4000. It's actually a great thing, since it
means I can literally run my cartridges completely out, rather than wasting
ink swapping them early. The printing simply stops...indicates which
cartridge is empty...prompts me to replace...and the picks up right where it
left off. Very cool. Most comsumer printers simply keep going without that
particular ink, which of course wastes the entire print.

This is yet another reason more folks would do well to consider the
professional line of Epsons (like the 4800).

www.pbase.com/markuson

stargsr

John McWilliams wrote:
> stargsr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
> > 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
> > change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
> > begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the print
> > once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce panelized
> > artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.

> Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're likely
> to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important print job?
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Thanks for the reply. I tried this ; however, I still got a color
shift in the prints.

stargsr

Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
> stargsr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an epson
> > 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently when I
> > change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when the print
> > begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line acress the
> > print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I produce
> > panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated
> >
> > stargr

> Run a nozzle check to see if there is a clog. Epsons at this level are very
> good at clearing themselves via the nozzle check (See your documentation if
> you're not familiar). Before inserting the new cartridge, you should rock
> it back and forth...upside-down, etc. to be sure no settling has
> occurred--which can lead to clogs. You can also removed a
> previously-installed cartridge to do this, followed by simply re-inserting
> it into the printer.
>
> --
> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to clean several times and I still
get breaks in the nozzle check. Sometimes different areas.

stargsr

Mark²

stargsr wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>> stargsr wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
>>> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas.
>>> Recently when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color
>>> change when the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a
>>> lighter line acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge
>>> change. I produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match
>>> panel to panel.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.

>> Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
>> likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
>> print job?
>>
>> --
>> John McWilliams

> Thanks for the reply. I tried this ; however, I still got a color
> shift in the prints.

That really does sound like a single-color clogged head.
Run a nozzle check.

www.pbase.com/markuson

stargsr

Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
> > stargsr wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
> >> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently
> >> when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when
> >> the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line
> >> acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I
> >> produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated.

> > Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
> > likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
> > print job?

> Normally, changing in the middle of a job shouldn't be a problem. I do it
> all the time with my Epson 4000. It's actually a great thing, since it
> means I can literally run my cartridges completely out, rather than wasting
> ink swapping them early. The printing simply stops...indicates which
> cartridge is empty...prompts me to replace...and the picks up right where it
> left off. Very cool. Most comsumer printers simply keep going without that
> particular ink, which of course wastes the entire print.
>
> This is yet another reason more folks would do well to consider the
> professional line of Epsons (like the 4800).
>
> --
> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson

Thanks for the reply. This has been the normal operation for my
machine for several years. Now out of nowhere, I am having these
problems when I have to change anything that has to do with a cartridge.

Mark²

stargsr wrote:
> Mark² (lowest even number here) wrote:
>> stargsr wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
>>> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas.
>>> Recently when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color
>>> change when the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a
>>> lighter line acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge
>>> change. I produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match
>>> panel to panel.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated
>>>
>>> stargr

>> Run a nozzle check to see if there is a clog. Epsons at this level
>> are very good at clearing themselves via the nozzle check (See your
>> documentation if you're not familiar). Before inserting the new
>> cartridge, you should rock it back and forth...upside-down, etc. to
>> be sure no settling has occurred--which can lead to clogs. You can
>> also removed a previously-installed cartridge to do this, followed
>> by simply re-inserting it into the printer.
>>
>> --
>> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
>> www.pbase.com/markuson

> Thanks for the reply. I have tried to clean several times and I still
> get breaks in the nozzle check. Sometimes different areas.
>
> stargsr

That identifies the problem, though. It is clogged.
If the regular nozzle-check doesn't clear it, then you'll need to run the
more thorough "power cleaning." The down-side is that it uses a significant
amount of ink...but it's likely what you need to do.
One more suggestion: Pull the cartridge that is showing signs of blockage,
and rock it back and forth...and reinsert. Then run a "power-cleaning."

www.pbase.com/markuson

frederick

Mark² wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>> stargsr wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I need help with a change to the color when printing. I have an
>>> epson 9600 with colorbyte RIP. I mainly print to canvas. Recently
>>> when I change a cartridge for a fresh one I get a color change when
>>> the print begins to print again. Sometimes I get a lighter line
>>> acress the print once it restarts after the cartridge change. I
>>> produce panelized artwork so the colors have to match panel to panel.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.

>> Can you keep track of cartridge levels enough to know when you're
>> likely to poop out so as to not change in the middle of an important
>> print job?

> Normally, changing in the middle of a job shouldn't be a problem. I do it
> all the time with my Epson 4000. It's actually a great thing, since it
> means I can literally run my cartridges completely out, rather than wasting
> ink swapping them early. The printing simply stops...indicates which
> cartridge is empty...prompts me to replace...and the picks up right where it
> left off. Very cool. Most comsumer printers simply keep going without that
> particular ink, which of course wastes the entire print.
>
> This is yet another reason more folks would do well to consider the
> professional line of Epsons (like the 4800).

Smaller epsons do the same - you can change cartridges in the middle of
a print job.
Folks should forget the larger printers like the 4800 unless they work
out that volume of printing that they would do will use the large
cartridges within a reasonable time. Epson recommend that they are used
within 6 months - that's probably conservative. Even so, unless you're
planning on printing perhaps 1,000 a4 prints or equivalent or so PA,
then the smaller printers are probably the way to go.
What sucks big time is that Japanese Epson customers can buy OEM Epson
ink cartridges for their desktop printers at about the same cost per ml
as US customers pay for ink for their "pro" machines. For customers in
Europe, the situation is even worse.