Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > On a lighter note - cliched effects, over-processed/saturated? Maybe, but absolutely stunning..

On a lighter note - cliched effects, over-processed/saturated? Maybe, but absolutely stunning..

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
every time....

http://www.pbase.com/zylen

Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
through those..

This shot:

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326

... is a masterpiece imo.

Rudy Benner

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
> every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
> every time....
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen
>
> Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
> Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
> through those..
>
> This shot:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
>
> .. is a masterpiece imo.

Excellent.

Arnor Baldvinsson

Hi,

> http://www.pbase.com/zylen

Awsome photos and awsome processing!
--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

Mike Fields

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
> every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
> every time....
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen
>
> Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
> Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
> through those..
>
> This shot:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
>
> .. is a masterpiece imo.

Great shot ... but I think I would have preferred to see to shoot
that with something like a 300mm instead of the 18mm indicated

mikey

Mike Fields

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
> every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
> every time....
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen
>
> Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
> Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
> through those..
>
> This shot:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
>
> .. is a masterpiece imo.

There is definitely a "fair bit of talent" there. The section on
wolves is great just by itself --- they don't respond well to
"stay" while I get in position and take your picture.
Serious talent !!

mikey

John McWilliams

> I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
> every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
> every time....
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen
>
> Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
> Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
> through those..
>
> This shot:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
>
> .. is a masterpiece imo.

She has an eye, fer shure. My girl friend does, too, but so far she's
shied away from using it with my cameras. I did give her my G3, and she
uses it well, but I am wondering whether I should give her an SLR for
Christmas, probably my 300D, exactly what the photog. uses in the above
Galleries.

--
John McWilliams

Arnor Baldvinsson

Hi Mike,

> Great shot ... but I think I would have preferred to see to shoot
> that with something like a 300mm instead of the 18mm indicated

I like the wider angle, but a closeup of the bear would have been awsome
too. OTOH you have to respect someone who takes a picture of a bear that
close at 18mm<g>
--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

timeOday

Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>

>>Great shot ... but I think I would have preferred to see to shoot
>>that with something like a 300mm instead of the 18mm indicated

> I like the wider angle, but a closeup of the bear would have been awsome
> too. OTOH you have to respect someone who takes a picture of a bear that
> close at 18mm<g>

Did the bear and the trees even come from the same shot? Or should I
not care?

I think some of the shots are overprocessed. Too much better than
reality. I suspect the images may one day appear dated, like songs from
the 60s when the sound bounces between the right and left channels
because stereo was the new thing. E.g.

<http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/28002635>

That said, she obviously knows exactly what she's doing, and has decided
eye-popping images achieve the ends she has chosen. I'm sure she
still has the originals, which could always be re-processed differently
and still be amazing.

And quite a few of the images are already natural in appearance and
still remarkable, like this:

<http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/46589514>
it would take a lot of tries to get a shot like that.

Or this:
<http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/47753021>
I don't remember seeing a shot like that.

She obviously is a very dedicated photographer (and photshop guru
I wonder if she makes a good living from it? Or if photographing family
reunions is much more lucerative?

Rich

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
> every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
> every time....
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen
>
> Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
> Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
> through those..
>
> This shot:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
>
> .. is a masterpiece imo.

18mm shot and the bear was that large in the frame? She's lucky she
didn't get attacked!
Nice shots, reasonable composition (except for the hay bale image where
the closer hay bale is intrusive and produces a feeling of blocking the
view, IMO) but I think the "Brit magazine" inspired overprocessing
and super-saturated colour fad will fade in popularity at some point.
For the infrared, I've personally never liked colour infrared since it
is so meaningless. IR may have a tonal scale, but not a gamut of
colours and is better served by B&W.

Ron Hunter

Rudy Benner wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
>> every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
>> every time....
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/zylen
>>
>> Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
>> Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
>> through those..
>>
>> This shot:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
>>
>> .. is a masterpiece imo.
>>

> Excellent.

The picture doesn't have the look of a long telephoto shot. If, as it
appears, this is not a telephoto shot, that bear is ENTIRELY TOO CLOSE.