Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is it "normal" to need post shooting editing?

Is it "normal" to need post shooting editing?

Leesa_Tay@softhome.net

I have an inexpensive 3 MP camera that takes very good pictures however
sometimes indoors, especially when using flash, the image will be a
little bit darker than I like. For instance... if I take a shot of my
boyfriend in let's say, a full length suit... I need to stand back
about 12 or 15 feet to get a whole body shot.

The picture will come out clear, but a little too dark. Another thing
I notice is that sometimes if I use either a SHARPEN or SATURATION
filter, it will improve the image quality.

My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?

Thank you in advance

LEESA (I)

Phil Wheeler

> I have an inexpensive 3 MP camera that takes very good pictures however
> sometimes indoors, especially when using flash, the image will be a
> little bit darker than I like. For instance... if I take a shot of my
> boyfriend in let's say, a full length suit... I need to stand back
> about 12 or 15 feet to get a whole body shot.

He must be very tall, Leesa!

> The picture will come out clear, but a little too dark. Another thing
> I notice is that sometimes if I use either a SHARPEN or SATURATION
> filter, it will improve the image quality.
>
> My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
> them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
> cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?

I usually fuss with shots I post on a website
(mostly cropping) and print. Otherwise not.

More expensive cameras do not reduce the tendency
to post process .. if that's what you mean by the
above. My DSLR setup (roughly $3800 with the two
main lenses) does not reduce processing vs. my
$400 S3 IS .. likely because serious shots are
more likely to receive more attention.

Phil

ronviers@gmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have an inexpensive 3 MP camera that takes very good pictures however
> sometimes indoors, especially when using flash, the image will be a
> little bit darker than I like. For instance... if I take a shot of my
> boyfriend in let's say, a full length suit... I need to stand back
> about 12 or 15 feet to get a whole body shot.
>
> The picture will come out clear, but a little too dark. Another thing
> I notice is that sometimes if I use either a SHARPEN or SATURATION
> filter, it will improve the image quality.
>
> My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
> them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
> cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?

Hi Leesa,
On the contrary, the more you spend on the camera the more editing you
have to do. As you improve as a photographer, through training and
better equipment, your ability to discriminate also improves. After
the $500 camera you will need the $600 Photoshop, then the $2000 camera
with two $500 flashes etc.
Your photos look better now than they ever will.

Good luck,
Ron

Richard DeLuca

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> Hi Leesa,
> On the contrary, the more you spend on the camera the more editing you
> have to do. As you improve as a photographer, through training and
> better equipment, your ability to discriminate also improves. After
> the $500 camera you will need the $600 Photoshop, then the $2000 camera
> with two $500 flashes etc.
> Your photos look better now than they ever will.
>
> Good luck,
> Ron

What a great answer! ...................

Dan Sullivan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have an inexpensive 3 MP camera that takes very good pictures however
> sometimes indoors, especially when using flash, the image will be a
> little bit darker than I like. For instance... if I take a shot of my
> boyfriend in let's say, a full length suit... I need to stand back
> about 12 or 15 feet to get a whole body shot.
>
> The picture will come out clear, but a little too dark. Another thing
> I notice is that sometimes if I use either a SHARPEN or SATURATION
> filter, it will improve the image quality.
>
> My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
> them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
> cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> LEESA (I)

Hey,

Download picasa2... it's free from Google.

It has just about everything you'll nedd and more!

Almost every picture could use a tweak or two.

Plus picasa will let you change your color picts to B&W or sepia, etc.
etc... and it has special effects.

Your 3 mp cam is FINE!!!

Best, Dan

Joseph Meehan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have an inexpensive 3 MP camera that takes very good pictures
> however sometimes indoors, especially when using flash, the image
> will be a little bit darker than I like. For instance... if I take a
> shot of my boyfriend in let's say, a full length suit... I need to
> stand back about 12 or 15 feet to get a whole body shot.
>
> The picture will come out clear, but a little too dark. Another thing
> I notice is that sometimes if I use either a SHARPEN or SATURATION
> filter, it will improve the image quality.
>
> My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
> them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
> cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> LEESA (I)

Define "need"

The camera does what it can. If you know the camera well and understand
all the features and abilities, then likely you can make the adjustments
before exposure and do a better job than after.

As for more expensive cameras, they offer some improvement in the
automatic process, but they also allow for far more manual intervention.
Generally I believe an owner of an expensive DSLR is more likely to spend
the time to make pre-exposure adjustments than the owner of a point and
shoot. Likewise they are more likely to want to tweak the last bit of
improvement in post exposure adjustments as well. So we are back to "Define
'need' "

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Bruce Lewis

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
> them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
> cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?

More expensive point-and-shoot cameras will have the same issue with
indoor flash shots. Save your money for a DSLR and possibly a nice
flash, or just keep editing.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
photos for your family or group.

J. Clarke

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 17:21:16 -0800, Leesa_Tay wrote:

> I have an inexpensive 3 MP camera that takes very good pictures however
> sometimes indoors, especially when using flash, the image will be a
> little bit darker than I like. For instance... if I take a shot of my
> boyfriend in let's say, a full length suit... I need to stand back
> about 12 or 15 feet to get a whole body shot.
>
> The picture will come out clear, but a little too dark. Another thing
> I notice is that sometimes if I use either a SHARPEN or SATURATION
> filter, it will improve the image quality.
>
> My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
> them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
> cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?

Cameras set exposure using artificial intelligence, which is also referred
to as artificial stupidity. Sometimes its judgment is good, sometimes it
isn't.

It sounds like your camera is making some assumptions about flash shots
that don't apply to the ones that you are taking. I don't know what
particular camera you're using so don't know if it has any way to adjust
for this. Older point-and-shoot cameras didn't, newer ones often
do--look for something about "flash EV compensation" and if there is
such a capability in your camera, try some different settings there to see
if it addresses the problem you're seeing. Start out with "-1" and go
from there.

If there isn't such a feature in your camera, a more capable one will have
it, and may have a more sophisticated exposure calculation system as well.

But in answer to your question, no matter how good your equipment, no
matter how skilled and experienced you are, you still run into situations
where you can't get the image you need without doing some post processing.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Bob Williams

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have an inexpensive 3 MP camera that takes very good pictures however
> sometimes indoors, especially when using flash, the image will be a
> little bit darker than I like. For instance... if I take a shot of my
> boyfriend in let's say, a full length suit... I need to stand back
> about 12 or 15 feet to get a whole body shot.
>
> The picture will come out clear, but a little too dark. Another thing
> I notice is that sometimes if I use either a SHARPEN or SATURATION
> filter, it will improve the image quality.
>
> My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
> them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
> cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> LEESA (I)

Most inexpensive cameras have a very anemic flash with a range of about
10 feet at the camera's default ISO setting . So at 12-15 feet, you can
expect the subject to be somewhat dark and the background will be nearly
black.
If you are going to take a lot of shots indoors with flash, it would be
a good idea to set the ISO to a higher value, at least 200 or more.
You may lose some sharpness but the image will be brighter.

If it is any comfort to you, I edit most of my keepers and 100% of those
images I choose to print.
I feel that "in general", if it is not worth at least a few minutes of
tweaking, it is probably not worth keeping. Otherwise you end up with
tons of mediocre pictures that can make storage an issue and retrieval
of the really good stuff a real chore.
I think that printers, without editing features, that print directly
from a memory card, may be convenient for many but will generate lots of
badly exposed prints.
IMHO, Once you learn to edit your photos (Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop
Pro, ACDSee, Irfanview etc, etc.,) Digital photography will become a LOT
more fun.
Bob Williams

Pete D

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have an inexpensive 3 MP camera that takes very good pictures however
> sometimes indoors, especially when using flash, the image will be a
> little bit darker than I like. For instance... if I take a shot of my
> boyfriend in let's say, a full length suit... I need to stand back
> about 12 or 15 feet to get a whole body shot.
>
> The picture will come out clear, but a little too dark. Another thing
> I notice is that sometimes if I use either a SHARPEN or SATURATION
> filter, it will improve the image quality.
>
> My question is.... Should you have to edit your pictures in order for
> them to look good? If I had one of the more expensive ($300-$500)
> cameras.... do you sometimes need to edit them?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> LEESA (I)

You are probably just getting to far back for the flash, they are small on
the point and shoot cameras.