Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rebel XT, made in Japan, made in Thailand

Rebel XT, made in Japan, made in Thailand

jazu

Hi
Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

Bill

"jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi
> Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
> Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in
Japan, as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese
cameras through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher
profits? You have to be prepared for that.

As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My
D80 and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build
quality to the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the
manufacturing plant that matters, not the physical location of the
plant.

jazu

I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
>> Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

> I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in Japan,
> as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese cameras
> through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher profits? You have
> to be prepared for that.
>
> As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My D80
> and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build quality to
> the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the manufacturing
> plant that matters, not the physical location of the plant.

Bill Funk

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 04:51:39 GMT, "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

It would be instructive to us if you would say what email you wrote,
and what the response was, besides "Thailand."
IOW, did you ask for the country of manufacture, or where they got the
cameras? Different questions, which can elicit different answers.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Charles Schuler

"jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi
> Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
> Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

Would not surprise nor concern me. Canon QA goes off shore, along with the
manufacturing. You can get a lemon from any production line.

In any case, I'd bet the source of the components is much the same.

jazu

I asked "where it was made."

"Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 04:51:39 GMT, "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

> It would be instructive to us if you would say what email you wrote,
> and what the response was, besides "Thailand."
> IOW, did you ask for the country of manufacture, or where they got the
> cameras? Different questions, which can elicit different answers.
>>
>>"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>

>>> I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in
>>> Japan,
>>> as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese cameras
>>> through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher profits? You
>>> have
>>> to be prepared for that.
>>>
>>> As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My
>>> D80
>>> and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build quality to
>>> the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the
>>> manufacturing
>>> plant that matters, not the physical location of the plant.
>>>

> --
> Bill Funk
> replace "g" with "a"

Roy G

>I asked "where it was made."
>

> "Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 04:51:39 GMT, "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I wrote email to some sellers and they reply to me with Thailand

>> It would be instructive to us if you would say what email you wrote,
>> and what the response was, besides "Thailand."
>> IOW, did you ask for the country of manufacture, or where they got the
>> cameras? Different questions, which can elicit different answers.
>>>
>>>"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> replace "g" with "a"

Hi.

I wonder if some of the workers in Thailand, who so lovingly assemble these
hi-tech cameras, get a bit concerned when they hear of them going to the
USA, where a lot of them will be used by people who do not even understand
the instruction manual.

Roy G

Bill Funk

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 02:55:26 GMT, "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I asked "where it was made."

Isn't there a sticker on the camera somewhere that says where it was
made?
ISTR that's a requirement if it's imported into the US.
My 30D clearly says, "Made in Japan."
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Rich

jazu wrote:
> Hi
> Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
> Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

Though most would claim that with specific QC measures in place,
quality can't vary by much, there have been anecdotal (though informed)
opinions raised about some products like this to the effect that the
Chinese made units are not as good. However, you'd have to get two of
them side by side to really check them out. In the case of some optics
whose production had shifted from Japan to Taiwan, there were
differences in favour of the Japanese.

John Turco

Bill wrote:

> "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > Some online stores have Japan cameras, some from Thailand.
> > Hmmm, would this make a difference in quality?

> I don't think the XT is made in Thailand, at least mine was made in
> Japan, as were the lenses. Perhaps some stores are importing Japanese
> cameras through Thailand as "grey market" cameras to make higher
> profits? You have to be prepared for that.
>
> As for Thailand manufacturing, it's just fine with Nikon products. My
> D80 and lenses were made in Thailand, and they're of equal build
> quality to the Canon products I owned. It's the quality control in the
> manufacturing plant that matters, not the physical location of the
> plant.

Hello, Bill:

Indeed, QC counts the most. My various Kodak digcams were made in either
China or Japan, and there's no apparent difference in quality, between
any of them.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

MCSD Exam Center Bangkok Thailand jensendarren@hotmail.com MCSD 1 05-17-2005 12:34 PM
Buying camera accessories in Australia, Singapore and Thailand No Further Action Digital Photography 6 10-01-2004 07:09 AM
Thailand for sale aaaa VOIP 2 02-11-2004 03:08 AM
' Religie ' van de Vrede predikt wederom Waarheid - Serie aanslagen in Thailand reply@newsgroup.please Computer Support 1 01-05-2004 06:49 PM
Lost my Canon S230 in Thailand what to replace with? tim s Digital Photography 2 09-22-2003 09:49 AM

Advertisments