Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > MSDE

Jaime

I have visual studio.net 2003 enterprise edition and I
tried to download and install this today from the website
and it was giving me a weird memory error, saying I
needed to free up 90 megs when I have 20 free gigs on my
harddrive and I even deleted like 50 megs to see if the
message would change and it didn't. Has anyone else had
this problem or know what the problem is? It makes
ado.net a bit tough since I don't have sql server 2000
installed.

Jim Parker

Try going to your installed apps,
"Microsoft .NET Framework SDK",
"Samples and Quickstart Tutorials"

The first time you access the Quickstart Tutorials it will install the MSDE.
Try that and see if you have the same problem.

JD.

"Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0fad01c383e6$d5ec8470$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have visual studio.net 2003 enterprise edition and I
> tried to download and install this today from the website
> and it was giving me a weird memory error, saying I
> needed to free up 90 megs when I have 20 free gigs on my
> harddrive and I even deleted like 50 megs to see if the
> message would change and it didn't. Has anyone else had
> this problem or know what the problem is? It makes
> ado.net a bit tough since I don't have sql server 2000
> installed.

Jaime

I will try that later, thanks

Matt Winn

"Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0fad01c383e6$d5ec8470$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have visual studio.net 2003 enterprise edition and I
> tried to download and install this today from the website
> and it was giving me a weird memory error, saying I
> needed to free up 90 megs when I have 20 free gigs on my
> harddrive and I even deleted like 50 megs to see if the
> message would change and it didn't. Has anyone else had
> this problem or know what the problem is? It makes
> ado.net a bit tough since I don't have sql server 2000
> installed.

I had the same problem installing MSDE, I changed from a typical install to
a custom install and low and behold it worked. I think the problem is that
under the typical install there is no destination directory selected so when
MSI checks for available space it comes back with nothing. This is strange
behaviour because it always seems to install to the same location anway.

PS MSDE is excellent and you get a lot of performance before the 5
concurrent processes barrier starts to become a problem. No doubt designed
to kill off the freeware databases as well as replace Access.

Matt

Jaime

hrmm, it didn't give me a path option to install to

Matt Winn

"Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:13a6601c38481$60a883d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hrmm, it didn't give me a path option to install to

Oh, sorry I couldnt help. I created my own install with install shield 7
and merge modules and had the same problem - so I thought you had a similar
install. Hope you get it sorted.

Matt

Jaime

Yeah I'm getting a copy of sql 2000, that should sort it
out, lol

ASPNET MSDE account login failure Paul C. ASP .Net 5 09-23-2008 07:41 AM
MSDE database distribution? Edwin E. Smith ASP .Net 2 08-18-2005 05:10 PM
msde-2000 Dave ASP .Net 1 11-08-2004 01:37 PM
#table concept in MSDE/Access =?Utf-8?B?Y3Vycnk0YnJlYWtmYXN0?= MCSE 3 10-28-2004 11:24 PM
Great free tool from Microsoft to manage MSDE Berry Morgan ASP .Net 1 05-17-2004 12:29 AM

Advertisments