Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma's SD14 Postponed

Sigma's SD14 Postponed

Rich

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
> For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
> glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06...4postponed.asp
>
> No comment...

Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

Scott W

Rich wrote:
> Kinon O'Cann wrote:
> > For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
> > glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
> >
> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06...4postponed.asp
> >
> > No comment...

> Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

Unlike Leica, Sigma did not ship faulty cameras to their customers. If
you received an M8 after paying $5,000 you might want to know just what
is wrong with it and what they are doing to fix it. A company that is
not shipping a product has no real need to let the public know the
details of the problems they are having, in fact it would be pretty
dumb to do so.

Scott

Kinon O'Cann

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Kinon O'Cann wrote:
>> For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
>> glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06...4postponed.asp
>>
>> No comment...

> Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

To Sigma's credit, they chose not to ship a defective product, unlike Leica.
Leica screwed the pooch on the M8, no question.

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Scott
W says...

> Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
> how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

Why can't they make a camera with a decent pixel count, let's say at
least 8-10 MP?
--

Alfred Molon

Bill Funk

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 19:39:26 +0100, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Scott
>W says...
>
>> Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
>> how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

>Why can't they make a camera with a decent pixel count, let's say at
>least 8-10 MP?

Probably because they are committed to using Foveon sensors.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:071220060641412732%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Did you get round to actually buy a digital camera yet Randall?

> I've had one for over three years - one that will easily outperform any
> Sigma model.

I doubt your 10D will outperform a Sigma SD10. You really do want the SD14,
admit it

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Scott
> W says...
>
>> Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
>> how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

> Why can't they make a camera with a decent pixel count, let's say at
> least 8-10 MP?

Because the Foveon 3.4 MP performs as well as a 6 MP Bayer. The SD14
performs as well as a 10 MP Bayer. You can't compare a Bayer MP count to a
Foveon MPcount.

Rich

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Kinon O'Cann wrote:
> >> For all the Sigmaphiles out there, the SD14 has been postponed due to a
> >> glitch that could not be fixed by software changes.
> >>
> >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06...4postponed.asp
> >>
> >> No comment...

> > Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

> To Sigma's credit, they chose not to ship a defective product, unlike Leica.
> Leica screwed the pooch on the M8, no question.

But didn't the released Sigma SD9 and 10 have colour and other problems
at least as bad as Leica? There was no solution for them that I recall.

Kinon O'Cann

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Kinon O'Cann wrote:
>> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> > Unlike Leica, Sigma did not elaborate on the problem or its cause.

>> To Sigma's credit, they chose not to ship a defective product, unlike
>> Leica.
>> Leica screwed the pooch on the M8, no question.
>>

> But didn't the released Sigma SD9 and 10 have colour and other problems
> at least as bad as Leica? There was no solution for them that I recall.

Honestly, I'm not sure if the SD9 and SD10 were defective, or just bad
cameras. But Leica *knew* that there were issues with their $5K M8, and
shipped anyway. For any company, that's unforgiveable. For Leica, well,
their reputation isn't shot, but it took a huge hit with that one.

nospam

In article <Q22eh.85$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Scott
> > W says...
> >
> >> Many of us are surprised that they are trying this one more time given
> >> how few of their other digital cameras they managed to sell.

> > Why can't they make a camera with a decent pixel count, let's say at
> > least 8-10 MP?

> Because the Foveon 3.4 MP performs as well as a 6 MP Bayer.

not in objective tests it doesn't. the sd9/10 'look' as good, but the
'detail' is mainly due to the lack of an anti-alias filter and
sharpening in the raw processor than any difference in the sensor.

> The SD14
> performs as well as a 10 MP Bayer.

neat. the camera won't ship for thre months and you already know how
well it will work.

the sd-14 also costs twice what the 10mp bayer cameras do. what
exactly is the motivation to spend more money and obtain similar
results? not to mention that the competition excels in other ways,
such as in-body stabilization, more capable auto-focus, etc.

> You can't compare a Bayer MP count to a
> Foveon MPcount.

of course you can.

Tethering the Sigma SD14 Fred the Red Shirt Digital Photography 8 02-10-2009 01:35 AM
SD14 Alfred Molon Digital Photography 8 06-04-2007 10:41 AM
Sigma SD14 samples Alfred Molon Digital Photography 40 02-20-2007 01:15 PM
Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR? Digital Photography Now Digital Photography 119 09-16-2006 06:54 PM
Popeye Postponed? \Mighty\ Mike Blues DVD Video 8 07-07-2003 09:02 AM

Advertisments