Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bluetooth connection to camera

Bluetooth connection to camera

UKR

I have a Canon 5D camera which has a USB port to connect to a PC or laptop.
Is there any way I can get a wireless Bluetooth link to the PC/Laptop
instead - and what equipment would I need.

John McWilliams

UKR wrote:
> I have a Canon 5D camera which has a USB port to connect to a PC or laptop.
> Is there any way I can get a wireless Bluetooth link to the PC/Laptop
> instead - and what equipment would I need.

Check Canon's site, or BnH.

How would you be using this?

--
John McWilliams

UKR

I want to shoot straight to a laptop both in a stdio and location sutuation
but I want a wireless connection - bluetooth - to avoid using a USB cable
link.
"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> UKR wrote:
>> I have a Canon 5D camera which has a USB port to connect to a PC or
>> laptop. Is there any way I can get a wireless Bluetooth link to the
>> PC/Laptop instead - and what equipment would I need.

> Check Canon's site, or BnH.
>
> How would you be using this?
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Mark B.

"UKR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Canon 5D camera which has a USB port to connect to a PC or
>laptop. Is there any way I can get a wireless Bluetooth link to the
>PC/Laptop instead - and what equipment would I need.

Canon has a wi-fi solution, but it ain't cheap:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The description says it's for the 1Ds M.II, but the Canon website says it is
compatible with the 20D, 30D, 5D, 1D, & 1Ds.

Mark

UKR

I know about Canon's WIFI solution - like most things Canon it's too
expensive and there must be a cheap bluetooth solution I feel
"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "UKR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a Canon 5D camera which has a USB port to connect to a PC or
>>laptop. Is there any way I can get a wireless Bluetooth link to the
>>PC/Laptop instead - and what equipment would I need.
>>

> Canon has a wi-fi solution, but it ain't cheap:
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
>
> The description says it's for the 1Ds M.II, but the Canon website says it
> is compatible with the 20D, 30D, 5D, 1D, & 1Ds.
>

> Mark

Matt Ion

UKR wrote:
> I know about Canon's WIFI solution - like most things Canon it's too
> expensive and there must be a cheap bluetooth solution I feel

Bluetooth has a maximum data rate of a little over 700kbps, and nominally
amywhere between 100 and 400kbps. Expect it to take several minutes to transfer
a single full-resolution photo via BT. Is going wireless really worth so much
of your time?

UKR

Thanks Matt - that is useful reply and a bit of a reality check for me. I
just dont like having to pay Canon's exploitative prices for accessories.