Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Do you have a routine for testing new cameras?

Do you have a routine for testing new cameras?

Ricky Rudolph

Do you have a list of things you'd try on a new camera to make sure that
it's not defective? If so, what do you do? Please share your thoughts.
Thanks.

Wayne J. Cosshall

Ricky Rudolph wrote:
> Do you have a list of things you'd try on a new camera to make sure that
> it's not defective? If so, what do you do? Please share your thoughts.
> Thanks.

Well I'd start off with a few, simple shots. Then if they are fine, work
through the exposure modes, check manual and auto focus and go from
there. Review pics on the LCD. I've always found that if a digital
camera is going to fail when new it will usually be something pretty
obvious. Also if it is an SLR check the lens coupling by swapping
lenses, if you can, or at least removing and then refitting the supplied
lens a few times.

Hope that helps,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

Bruce Chastain

"Ricky Rudolph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Do you have a list of things you'd try on a new camera to make sure that
> it's not defective? If so, what do you do? Please share your thoughts.
> Thanks.

I happen to be doing that tonight. I bought a refurbished Canon A-530 and
I'm checking it out.

Flash, auto, manual, program, macro, zoom, auto and manual focus, movie
video and audio, stitch, lcd, view finder, leds, batteries, auto rotation,
memory card, USB transfer and video cables.

Make sure all the cables, software, wrist strap,. and user manuals are
present

Bruce.

just bob

"Ricky Rudolph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Do you have a list of things you'd try on a new camera to make sure that
> it's not defective? If so, what do you do? Please share your thoughts.
> Thanks.

Just received a used DSLR and after cursory check of all buttons, etc, first
thing I setup a tripod and shoot white paper to check for dust at f/32..
Found a huge piece I could not remove with rocket blower. After about 10
swipes using the copperhill method of sensor swipe with pec pads and eclipse
I got the darn thing clean as new. I'm going to send the seller a before and
after, as I would not be surprised he sold it because he thought it could
not be cleaned.