Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Macro or Telephoto?

Macro or Telephoto?

Mardon

I've been using a Canon 180mm L macro and a Canon 70-200mm L f/2.8
IS for about a year now. Despite this, I'm still not certain
exactly how to choose which lens to use for cross-over sized
subjects; for example, something like a small dog or cat. I know
the macro is best at smaller aperture settings, yet both lens are
quite good throughout their range. In practice, I generally use
the macro for things located within 2 meters (6 feet) of the
camera and the telephoto for anything located further away but I
don't know if this is a reasonable way to make the decision.
Comments?

Joseph Meehan

Mardon wrote:
> I've been using a Canon 180mm L macro and a Canon 70-200mm L f/2.8
> IS for about a year now. Despite this, I'm still not certain
> exactly how to choose which lens to use for cross-over sized
> subjects; for example, something like a small dog or cat. I know
> the macro is best at smaller aperture settings, yet both lens are
> quite good throughout their range. In practice, I generally use
> the macro for things located within 2 meters (6 feet) of the
> camera and the telephoto for anything located further away but I
> don't know if this is a reasonable way to make the decision.
> Comments?

Well you are really looking at apples and oranges.

That "L" lens is a dandy. However for most subjects, like a small dog
or cat, I would pick up the zoom. That zoom should perform great in any
distance you are likely to be doing and you will have the advantage of the
zoom, which is likely to be important with a cat or dog. Unless you
photographing just an eye or something in that range, you don't really need
the macro.

Think in terms of subject size not distance. If it is three inches or
less or it does not move, go with the 180, otherwise use the zoom.

If you don't like that idea, feel free to use your own. I doubt if you
are going to go wrong.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

JimKramer

Mardon wrote:
> I've been using a Canon 180mm L macro and a Canon 70-200mm L f/2.8
> IS for about a year now. Despite this, I'm still not certain
> exactly how to choose which lens to use for cross-over sized
> subjects; for example, something like a small dog or cat. I know
> the macro is best at smaller aperture settings, yet both lens are
> quite good throughout their range. In practice, I generally use
> the macro for things located within 2 meters (6 feet) of the
> camera and the telephoto for anything located further away but I
> don't know if this is a reasonable way to make the decision.
> Comments?

Which one will focus faster and let you get the shot? I know the
answer

If you really want to get closer with the 70-200 put a short (~12mm)
extension tube on it.

Jim

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Mardon wrote:
> I've been using a Canon 180mm L macro and a Canon 70-200mm L f/2.8
> IS for about a year now. Despite this, I'm still not certain
> exactly how to choose which lens to use for cross-over sized
> subjects; for example, something like a small dog or cat. I know
> the macro is best at smaller aperture settings, yet both lens are
> quite good throughout their range. In practice, I generally use
> the macro for things located within 2 meters (6 feet) of the
> camera and the telephoto for anything located further away but I
> don't know if this is a reasonable way to make the decision.
> Comments?

There is not a simple answer. It depends on what your desire is in the
appearance for the final image. I do a lot of macro photography. I
have definite objectives on the perspective of the image. I have a
macro lens which is only macro in the telephoto position (max focal
length). But when I do tabletop photography this does the normal
telephoto thing of compressing depth. Yes, I know it is not the focal
length itself that sets perspective, but the object distance that
results from framing the objects with a long focal length.

Anyway, since I want expanded depth for my tabletop work, I do not use
the telephoto- I use a shorter lens and supplemental (plus) lenses for
the close focus, since this gives me a better perspective. If you use
short lenses you can make the cat look like a tiger or leopard, while
the use of the telephoto lens will make it look relatively smaller.
Your choice. Sort of like selecting the focal length you want to use
for portraiture.