Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak C360 date resets on battery removal

Kodak C360 date resets on battery removal

eganders

I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if I
replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do this
with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.

I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little while
for a battery change.

I put off sending it back.

I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?

Mike Fields

"eganders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if
> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do
> this
> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
>
> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little
> while
> for a battery change.
>
> I put off sending it back.
>
> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?

Don't know about that specific one but different cameras
"remember" the date/time for different lengths of time.
My Nikon D70s seems to have no problem if I have the
battery out over night. My Minolta 7Hi has a small internal
battery that supplies power while you have the batteries out.
My Olympus D470Z will remember for about 10 minutes
or so then forgets (I suspect it just has a large capacitor
in there to hold a temp charge). Since I rename all my
pix based on the EXIF date/time stamp, I *really* hate
it when the Olympus forgets what time it is (Just goes to
all 0's and stays there).

mikey

Ken Weitzel

Mike Fields wrote:

> "eganders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
>> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if I
>> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
>> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do this
>> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
>>
>> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
>> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little while
>> for a battery change.
>>
>> I put off sending it back.
>>
>> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
>> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
>> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
>> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
>> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?
>>

> Don't know about that specific one but different cameras
> "remember" the date/time for different lengths of time.
> My Nikon D70s seems to have no problem if I have the
> battery out over night. My Minolta 7Hi has a small internal
> battery that supplies power while you have the batteries out.
> My Olympus D470Z will remember for about 10 minutes
> or so then forgets (I suspect it just has a large capacitor
> in there to hold a temp charge). Since I rename all my
> pix based on the EXIF date/time stamp, I *really* hate
> it when the Olympus forgets what time it is (Just goes to
> all 0's and stays there).
>
> mikey

Hi Mikey...

With regard to your Oly... if you don't have a spare set
of batts to swap when you're re-charging, just grab a set
of "used up" ordinarily alkalines (something that won't
any longer run the kids cd players, or a flashlight) and
put them in it while the nimh's recharge.

The data saving portion of your camera requires almost zero
energy, so even "dead" batteries will hold it. Just don't turn
the camera on while they're in it, and don't forget and leave
them in it for fear they may leak.

Take care.

Ken

Mike Fields

"Ken Weitzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Mike Fields wrote:
>>
>> "eganders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
>>> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would
>>> if I
>>> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their
>>> default,
>>> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do
>>> this
>>> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
>>>
>>> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no.
>>> The
>>> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little
>>> while
>>> for a battery change.
>>>
>>> I put off sending it back.
>>>
>>> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
>>> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
>>> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
>>> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
>>> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?
>>>

>> Don't know about that specific one but different cameras
>> "remember" the date/time for different lengths of time.
>> My Nikon D70s seems to have no problem if I have the
>> battery out over night. My Minolta 7Hi has a small internal
>> battery that supplies power while you have the batteries out.
>> My Olympus D470Z will remember for about 10 minutes
>> or so then forgets (I suspect it just has a large capacitor
>> in there to hold a temp charge). Since I rename all my
>> pix based on the EXIF date/time stamp, I *really* hate
>> it when the Olympus forgets what time it is (Just goes to
>> all 0's and stays there).
>>
>> mikey

> Hi Mikey...
>
> With regard to your Oly... if you don't have a spare set
> of batts to swap when you're re-charging, just grab a set
> of "used up" ordinarily alkalines (something that won't
> any longer run the kids cd players, or a flashlight) and
> put them in it while the nimh's recharge.
>
> The data saving portion of your camera requires almost zero
> energy, so even "dead" batteries will hold it. Just don't turn
> the camera on while they're in it, and don't forget and leave
> them in it for fear they may leak.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

Yes, I realize that and have not problem with doing that.
On the other hand, training my wife to do that is another
story all together (does the term "herding cats" mean
anything )

She takes the camera, shoots a bunch of pix then, when
I go to transfer them to the computer, I notice they all
have the same date 00000. Grrrrrrrr. Bought her a
Canon A640 You gotta know how to work the
problem ...

mikey

eganders

Please note that I gave the example that I poped the battery door open
and immediately (within about 30 seconds) closed the door again (on a
freshly charged set of batteries). The camera has virtually NO
retention of the date/time once I open the battery door. The latest
email from Kodak said that this was normal. I am hoping that someone
with this C360 or nearly the same Kodak model can verify that he is
correct or not.

Usually you are trying to get a shot quickly and changing the batteries
is bad enoungh without being told that you have to set the time/date.
It is hard to believe the camera is designed like this, but I need
confirmation from someone that KNOWS this camera (C360) or a very
similar model Kodak to it.

On Nov 25, 7:08 pm, Ken Weitzel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mike Fields wrote:
>
> > "eganders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
> >> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
> >> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if I
> >> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
> >> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do this
> >> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.

> >> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
> >> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little while
> >> for a battery change.

> >> I put off sending it back.

> >> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
> >> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
> >> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
> >> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
> >> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?

> > Don't know about that specific one but different cameras
> > "remember" the date/time for different lengths of time.
> > My Nikon D70s seems to have no problem if I have the
> > battery out over night. My Minolta 7Hi has a small internal
> > battery that supplies power while you have the batteries out.
> > My Olympus D470Z will remember for about 10 minutes
> > or so then forgets (I suspect it just has a large capacitor
> > in there to hold a temp charge). Since I rename all my
> > pix based on the EXIF date/time stamp, I *really* hate
> > it when the Olympus forgets what time it is (Just goes to
> > all 0's and stays there).

> > mikeyHi Mikey...

> With regard to your Oly... if you don't have a spare set
> of batts to swap when you're re-charging, just grab a set
> of "used up" ordinarily alkalines (something that won't
> any longer run the kids cd players, or a flashlight) and
> put them in it while the nimh's recharge.
>
> The data saving portion of your camera requires almost zero
> energy, so even "dead" batteries will hold it. Just don't turn
> the camera on while they're in it, and don't forget and leave
> them in it for fear they may leak.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

ASAAR

On 26 Nov 2006 06:22:30 -0800, eganders wrote:

> Please note that I gave the example that I poped the battery door open
> and immediately (within about 30 seconds) closed the door again (on a
> freshly charged set of batteries). The camera has virtually NO
> retention of the date/time once I open the battery door. The latest
> email from Kodak said that this was normal. I am hoping that someone
> with this C360 or nearly the same Kodak model can verify that he is
> correct or not.

What does your manual have to say about this? It seems *very*
unlikely that the C360 would be designed to do this. I don't have
any Kodak digital cameras but some time ago I downloaded the manual
for several Kodak cameras. In the troubleshooting section of the
C360's manual, for "Date and time have been reset" it says:

> Cause
> This is the first time you turned on the camera;
> or the batteries have been removed for an extended
> period of time; or the batteries are exhausted.

An extended period of time should be at least several minutes, if
not hours or days. Certainly not 30 seconds. But if the battery
door is open for a shorter period, such as 5 seconds, is the date
and time still lost? I assume that when you opened the battery door
that the camera was powered off.

Kodak's website has a FAQ for the C360 which deals with this
problem. Unfortunately it provides no additional information:

> Question:
> The camera screen displays "Date/Time have been reset." What should I do?
>
> Answer: Answer last updated:09-22-06
> This is the first time you turned on the camera, the battery has been removed
> for an extended period of time, or the battery is exhausted. Reset the clock.
>
> See your camera user's guide for more information.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...equestid=15869

And no, the user's guide didn't suggest checking the online FAQ
for more information. <g>

eganders

ASAAR,

Thanks for the check of FAQ on Kodak's web site. That tells me what I
want to know. It appears that the tech was in a hurry giving his
response.

On Nov 26, 5:05 pm, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2006 06:22:30 -0800, eganders wrote:
>
> > Please note that I gave the example that I poped the battery door open
> > and immediately (within about 30 seconds) closed the door again (on a
> > freshly charged set of batteries). The camera has virtually NO
> > retention of the date/time once I open the battery door. The latest
> > email from Kodak said that this was normal. I am hoping that someone
> > with this C360 or nearly the same Kodak model can verify that he is
> > correct or not. What does your manual have to say about this? It seems *very*

> unlikely that the C360 would be designed to do this. I don't have
> any Kodak digital cameras but some time ago I downloaded the manual
> for several Kodak cameras. In the troubleshooting section of the
> C360's manual, for "Date and time have been reset" it says:
>
> > Cause
> > This is the first time you turned on the camera;
> > or the batteries have been removed for an extended
> > period of time; or the batteries are exhausted. An extended period of time should be at least several minutes, if

> not hours or days. Certainly not 30 seconds. But if the battery
> door is open for a shorter period, such as 5 seconds, is the date
> and time still lost? I assume that when you opened the battery door
> that the camera was powered off.
>
> Kodak's website has a FAQ for the C360 which deals with this
> problem. Unfortunately it provides no additional information:
>
> > Question:
> > The camera screen displays "Date/Time have been reset." What should I do?

> > Answer: Answer last updated:09-22-06
> > This is the first time you turned on the camera, the battery has been removed
> > for an extended period of time, or the battery is exhausted. Reset the clock.

> > See your camera user's guide for more information.http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...39/7149/7269&f...

> And no, the user's guide didn't suggest checking the online FAQ
> for more information. <g>

John Turco

eganders wrote:

> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if I
> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do this
> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
>
> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little while
> for a battery change.
>
> I put off sending it back.
>
> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?

Hello,

I already knew that my P850 and DX6490 (both Kodak digicams) would
"forget" the time and date, when their batteries were removed, for very
long. However, as an experiment, I just left the DX6490's "KLIC-5000"
Li-ion pack out of the camera, for a few seconds, and then put it back
in.

To my surprise, the DX6490 retained its settings.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Phil Wheeler

John Turco wrote:
> eganders wrote:
>> I'm confused. Is the date/time supposed to reset if you replace the
>> batteries in a C360? If I open the door and close it like I would if I
>> replaced the batteries, the date and time are reset to their default,
>> the camera askes me to reset the time and date. I never had to do this
>> with my Fuji that also had replaceable AA batteries.
>>
>> I was going to send it back to Kodak last July and got an RA no. The
>> tech service guy said that it held the date and time for a little while
>> for a battery change.
>>
>> I put off sending it back.
>>
>> I just emailed Kodak again explaining the problem asking for a new
>> return auth. no.. This time I am told that it is normal for the
>> date/time to reset and the C360 is normally charged on its charging
>> cradle. The email response from Kodak was that it is normal that it
>> resets anytime the batteries are removed. Who is correct?

> Hello,
>
> I already knew that my P850 and DX6490 (both Kodak digicams) would
> "forget" the time and date, when their batteries were removed, for very
> long. However, as an experiment, I just left the DX6490's "KLIC-5000"
> Li-ion pack out of the camera, for a few seconds, and then put it back
> in.
>
> To my surprise, the DX6490 retained its settings.

There may be a coin-type clock battery which needs
replaced every few years. True in my (non-Kodak)
digicams and other devices.

Phil

eganders

I got a reply from Kodak that the camera, being out of warranty, would
incurr charges. They knew that I had gotten an RA number back in July
when it was in warranty, but now, even though I am asking for a
warranty repair for the same thing, they will not honor the old RA or
fix it under warranty. I know they have every right to maintain that
position, but it would seem a positive move to honor it since it is
obvious that the camera was defective during the warranty period.
Welcome to the mechanical new millennium!!!