Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony H5

Sony H5

Mike R.

Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy it, try
it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee (about $60).

TIA

silverthreads

I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I have
been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/ .
Visit with other H5 users at
Mike R. wrote:
> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy it, try
> it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee (about $60).
>
> TIA

Mike R.

"silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
> have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
> . Visit with other H5 users at
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
> Mike R. wrote:
>> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
>> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
>> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
>> (about $60).
>>
>> TIA

Any problems with white balance with indoor lighting? I take a lot of
family event pictures indoors, and of all the manufacturers, Sony
digicams have the most white balance problems.

silverthreads

My biggest problem has been with shooting LED Displays. They appear to
the CCD to be much warmer than they really are. I did a custom white
balance to the display itself at a recent event. I just wish I could
have stored and recalled that white balance at will so that I could
have switched to a conventional preset and back to my custom preset
without re white balancing. I have not done a lot of indoor tungsten
event photography, here is a suggestion for custom white balancing
http://www.warmcards.com/digital_camera.html
Mike R. wrote:
> "silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
> > I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
> > have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
> > . Visit with other H5 users at
> > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
> > Mike R. wrote:
> >> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
> >> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
> >> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
> >> (about $60).
> >>
> >> TIA

> Any problems with white balance with indoor lighting? I take a lot of
> family event pictures indoors, and of all the manufacturers, Sony
> digicams have the most white balance problems.

Mike R.

"silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
> have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
> . Visit with other H5 users at
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
> Mike R. wrote:
>> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
>> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
>> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
>> (about $60).
>>
>> TIA

BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a long
time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright object,
even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no matter what
focal length, the flash always popped open and went off. There seemed to
be more than enough ambient light, but the flash still went off. I also
noticed that it took a long time for the flash to refresh, at least 7
seconds every time, and sometimes much longer. Steve's Digicams mentions
this. I could get by with a long flash recycle time, maybe, but if the
flash wants to go off so often, I don't think I could.

I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in lighting
conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not exactly an
apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom cameras whose flash
didn't need to go off, and when they did, the recylce time was under 2
seconds.

What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem to
want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?

TIA

silverthreads

I have run into some extraordinarily long recycle times. I am curious
as to whether the the AC-LS5K Portable AC AdapterAC-LS5K would improve
those times, but that would be irrelevant in the field. I regret not
having a hot shoe or pc connection for an external flash.
Mike R. wrote:
> "silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
> > I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
> > have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
> > . Visit with other H5 users at
> > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
> > Mike R. wrote:
> >> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
> >> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
> >> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
> >> (about $60).
> >>
> >> TIA

> BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a long
> time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright object,
> even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no matter what
> focal length, the flash always popped open and went off. There seemed to
> be more than enough ambient light, but the flash still went off. I also
> noticed that it took a long time for the flash to refresh, at least 7
> seconds every time, and sometimes much longer. Steve's Digicams mentions
> this. I could get by with a long flash recycle time, maybe, but if the
> flash wants to go off so often, I don't think I could.
>
> I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
> time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in lighting
> conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not exactly an
> apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom cameras whose flash
> didn't need to go off, and when they did, the recylce time was under 2
> seconds.
>
> What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem to
> want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?
>
> TIA

silverthreads

I pointed at a shaded window and an exposed 60 watt bulb and it did not
go off in auto. I do not know where the threshold is. Whereas I shoot
primarily in S or A mode, auto flash is not an option.
Mike R. wrote:
> "silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
> > I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
> > have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
> > . Visit with other H5 users at
> > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
> > Mike R. wrote:
> >> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
> >> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
> >> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
> >> (about $60).
> >>
> >> TIA

> BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a long
> time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright object,
> even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no matter what
> focal length, the flash always popped open and went off. There seemed to
> be more than enough ambient light, but the flash still went off. I also
> noticed that it took a long time for the flash to refresh, at least 7
> seconds every time, and sometimes much longer. Steve's Digicams mentions
> this. I could get by with a long flash recycle time, maybe, but if the
> flash wants to go off so often, I don't think I could.
>
> I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
> time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in lighting
> conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not exactly an
> apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom cameras whose flash
> didn't need to go off, and when they did, the recylce time was under 2
> seconds.
>
> What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem to
> want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?
>
> TIA

silverthreads

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/se...e=1&forum=1009
Mike R. wrote:
> "silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
> > I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
> > have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
> > . Visit with other H5 users at
> > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
> > Mike R. wrote:
> >> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
> >> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
> >> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
> >> (about $60).
> >>
> >> TIA

> BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a long
> time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright object,
> even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no matter what
> focal length, the flash always popped open and went off. There seemed to
> be more than enough ambient light, but the flash still went off. I also
> noticed that it took a long time for the flash to refresh, at least 7
> seconds every time, and sometimes much longer. Steve's Digicams mentions
> this. I could get by with a long flash recycle time, maybe, but if the
> flash wants to go off so often, I don't think I could.
>
> I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
> time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in lighting
> conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not exactly an
> apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom cameras whose flash
> didn't need to go off, and when they did, the recylce time was under 2
> seconds.
>
> What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem to
> want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?
>
> TIA

irwell

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 09:51:56 -0600, "Mike R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com:
>
>> I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
>> have been able to capture http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/
>> . Visit with other H5 users at
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009
>> Mike R. wrote:
>>> Anyone have this camera? I'm highly considering it, but can't find
>>> anyplace where they have a working model on display. I have to buy
>>> it, try it, and then if I don't like it pay the 15% restocking fee
>>> (about $60).
>>>
>>> TIA

>BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a long
>time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright object,
>even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no matter what
>focal length, the flash always popped open and went off. There seemed to
>be more than enough ambient light, but the flash still went off. I also
>noticed that it took a long time for the flash to refresh, at least 7
>seconds every time, and sometimes much longer. Steve's Digicams mentions
>this. I could get by with a long flash recycle time, maybe, but if the
>flash wants to go off so often, I don't think I could.
>
>I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
>time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in lighting
>conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not exactly an
>apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom cameras whose flash
>didn't need to go off, and when they did, the recylce time was under 2
>seconds.
>
>What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem to
>want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?
>
>TIA

The beauty of having an H5 is you won't want to use
the automatic settings.

Mike R.

"silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/se...ycle+time&page
> =1&forum=1009 Mike R. wrote:
>> "silverthreads" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>>
>> > I got my R5 in August and I am totally impressed with the images I
>> > have been able to capture
>> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverthreads/ . Visit with other H5
>> > users at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009

>> BestBuy had a model on display. I played with it, and others, for a
>> long time. I noticed that even when I pointed the camera at a bright
>> object, even overhead lights, with flash set to automatic and no
>> matter what focal length, the flash always popped open and went off.
>> There seemed to be more than enough ambient light, but the flash
>> still went off. I also noticed that it took a long time for the
>> flash to refresh, at least 7 seconds every time, and sometimes much
>> longer. Steve's Digicams mentions this. I could get by with a long
>> flash recycle time, maybe, but if the flash wants to go off so often,
>> I don't think I could.
>>
>> I've read user reviews, but none have complained about flash recycle
>> time, and especially the fact that the flash wanted to go off in
>> lighting conditions that seemed not to require a flash. While not
>> exactly an apples to apples comparison, I tried other super-zoom
>> cameras whose flash didn't need to go off, and when they did, the
>> recylce time was under 2 seconds.
>>
>> What's your experience with the recycle time, and does the flash seem
>> to want to go off when you would think it shouldn't?
>>
>> TIA

Thanks for that link. I'd read the reviews there, also, but didn't see
that particular thread. Too bad that this long recycle also exists with
the H2, too, because I tried it out also.

Tough decision. Most of my pics will be of family gatherings, and as it
is, they always scream when I want to take another pic, "just to be sure
bracketing", and they have to wait 3 or 4 seconds. You know how it is,
no one wants to pose, but when they see the pics later, they are glad
someone took them!

The other super-zoom cameras I tried were the Kodaks and the Panasonics.
I didn't try the Canons, since I've always thought the menu system is not
as user friendly. Maybe I should.

If I go down to a smaller zoom, say 6X, my choice widens.