Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monitor Recommendations For Photo Editing

Monitor Recommendations For Photo Editing

Jeremy

My Sony Trinitron CRT's are on the way out (red colour cast) and so I am
looking for a pair of new 17" monitors.

As I need two monitors, I don't want to spend silly money. I have been
looking around the internet and there seems to be very little choices of
flat screen CRT's around anymore. Are LCD's pretty good now-a-days for
photo editing work without spending a lot of money? Also, any
recommendations, as there are so many LCD monitors out there with similar
'on-paper' specs.

Charles Schuler

"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Sony Trinitron CRT's are on the way out (red colour cast) and so I am
> looking for a pair of new 17" monitors.
>
> As I need two monitors, I don't want to spend silly money. I have been
> looking around the internet and there seems to be very little choices of
> flat screen CRT's around anymore. Are LCD's pretty good now-a-days for
> photo editing work without spending a lot of money? Also, any
> recommendations, as there are so many LCD monitors out there with similar
> 'on-paper' specs.

The LCDs have come a long way. Check them out (I like Samsung because of
good personal experience.)

Hap Shaughnessy

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:03:20 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My Sony Trinitron CRT's are on the way out (red colour cast) and so I am
>> looking for a pair of new 17" monitors.
>>
>> As I need two monitors, I don't want to spend silly money. I have been
>> looking around the internet and there seems to be very little choices of
>> flat screen CRT's around anymore. Are LCD's pretty good now-a-days for
>> photo editing work without spending a lot of money? Also, any
>> recommendations, as there are so many LCD monitors out there with similar
>> 'on-paper' specs.

>The LCDs have come a long way. Check them out (I like Samsung because of
>good personal experience.)

Here's an e-mail just sent to friend requesting info.

---clip---

Hi ???;

Last Nov. 05 I bought a new system and my fist LCD monitor.

The local computer dudes [Online Electronics] sell everything LG and
their top of the line L1980Q 19" LCD monitor looked fabulous except it
was only 6-bits per RGB channel. I had stumbled across that info
checking reviews and discovered that many monitors including the
biggest sellers like Samsung, Sony and ViewSonic were also 6-bit per
channel.

I was giving up a failing 32-bit 21" Viewsonic Pro and nothing but the
minimum of 8-bits per channel / 24-bit RGB monitor would do.

These 6-bit channel monitors use a dithering process of some kind to
get them up to 24-bits RGB.

It may take some rooting around reviews sites to find the info because
many manufacturers fail to mention bits per RGB channel in their
specs.

16.2 millions colors = 6-bits per channel.
16.7 million colors = 8-bit / 24 bit RGB

Here ya go. I had this article bookmarked ...
http://compreviews.about.com/od/mult...a/LCDColor.htm LCD Color,
8-Bit vs. 6-Bit.

I'm happy with this Acer AL1951 19". It has one of those glossy,
reflective screens some people don't like but we love it. This ACER is
NOT height adjustable and I have it sitting on two hard cover books.
The black book covers match the computer desk—no big deal.

I tried a google using the search string ... top 10 19" LCD monitors
2006 ... to see the usual big brand names. The few manufacturers I
checked did not mention color numbers for their displays. That info
must be available somewhere.

As for response times, brightness and contrast; most LCD monitors are
pretty close because many use the same panels. AOU, LG Philips,
Samsung, etc. Any decent LCD monitor that catches your eye you should
be fine.

If that LG Flatron L1980Q 19" LCD Monitor was 16.7 milllion colors I
would have paid the extra bucks. It was a beauty. However I got better
color at a cheaper price with the Acer that sports a nice looking base
/ stand. Some of the stands for these things are butt ugly and for the
prices they want should be a lot nicer.

Hold on, one last google using the search string < LCD monitor 16.7
million > came back with better results.

---end

Hope this helps.

Hap