Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A640

Canon A640

John

My wife is buying me a camera for my birthday next week. I like the look of
the Canon A640. Anybody have any views on this model, bearing in mind my
current digital camera is a Kodak DX3700 that I got via the Kodak internet
pricing shambles a few years ago. Also any good deals out there? I have
managed to find it (camera only) for about 215 via Google etc.

Cheers

John

bugbear

John wrote:
> My wife is buying me a camera for my birthday next week. I like the look of
> the Canon A640. Anybody have any views on this model, bearing in mind my
> current digital camera is a Kodak DX3700 that I got via the Kodak internet
> pricing shambles a few years ago. Also any good deals out there? I have
> managed to find it (camera only) for about 215 via Google etc.

Looks like a very nice camera.

Personally (being a cheap skate) I'm looking
at last years model - a620 - which is now
being deeply discounted at Amazon,
presumably due to the launch of the a640.

BugBear

JohnR66

"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
news:45659165$0$8732$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
>> My wife is buying me a camera for my birthday next week. I like the look
>> of the Canon A640. Anybody have any views on this model, bearing in mind
>> my current digital camera is a Kodak DX3700 that I got via the Kodak
>> internet pricing shambles a few years ago. Also any good deals out
>> there? I have managed to find it (camera only) for about 215 via Google
>> etc.

> Looks like a very nice camera.
>
> Personally (being a cheap skate) I'm looking
> at last years model - a620 - which is now
> being deeply discounted at Amazon,
> presumably due to the launch of the a640.
>
> BugBear

Actually, I'd prefer the A610 or the A620 over the newer models. For one
thing, you can turn down the sharpening, reducing the sharpening halos. It
looks more dSLR like to me. AFAICT, in the A630 and A640, Canon removed that
setting! If you you get the A620, dial in -2/3 exposure comp and turn down
the sharpening and you'll find the camera is capable of excellent image
quality. These models have the best lens I've seen as it is sharp at any
zoom, any aperture and has minimal color fringing. Beware, I'm finding Canon
to be flaky in aligning the lens during manufacture. I see some cameras
produce a bit blur to the images along one edge. I got lucky.
John

Dave Cohen

John wrote:
> My wife is buying me a camera for my birthday next week. I like the look of
> the Canon A640. Anybody have any views on this model, bearing in mind my
> current digital camera is a Kodak DX3700 that I got via the Kodak internet
> pricing shambles a few years ago. Also any good deals out there? I have
> managed to find it (camera only) for about 215 via Google etc.
>
> Cheers
>
> John

I have the earlier A95 and find it excellent. I think 10mp is overkill
and I would settle for the A620, but all of these series are good. I
like using NiMH AA's.
Dave Cohen