Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re Is APS Dead

Re Is APS Dead

robert w fischer

I know it has been a long time since Nikon has stopped in the making of
The Pronada SLR Aps camera, but yet in some ways I still find the camera
a gem to use, Yes I do own a ditigal camera, a small point and shoot,
which I hope to advance upward to a DSLR by around Christmas but from
time to time still like to use this camera Anyone out there have
this camera and what would be your thoughts
Thanks Bob

bmoag

I have one. The built-in flash died shortly after the warranty expired and I
have not used it since.
In all honesty the Pronea was a low-end film slr, regardless of the type of
film it used.
That does not mean that in the right hands it was incapable of decent
results.

Matt Ion

bmoag wrote:
> I have one. The built-in flash died shortly after the warranty expired and I
> have not used it since.
> In all honesty the Pronea was a low-end film slr, regardless of the type of
> film it used.
> That does not mean that in the right hands it was incapable of decent
> results.

I think APS has, for all intents and purposes, been a dead format for a long
time - it never really caught on to any degree, and the advent of "affordable"
digital pretty much took what little breath it had left.

I have to admit, I really admired the idea: the film cannister has indicators
showing the status of the film (un-used, partially exposed, fully exposed, and
processed), I *believe* it supported automatic reload to the last next unexposed
frame after mid-roll rewind, and storing the negative strip back in the
cannister after processing is really brilliant. The switchable image formats
were kinda gimmicky, but generally worked. The drop-in loading was the most
friendly feature, of course.

Alas, the smaller frame size doomed it to be relegated to consumer cameras,
where's there's little markup and not the sort of profit to be made from gaining
pro support - most of the "advantages" were for the convenience and ease-of-use
by consumers and not really of any benefit to pros... along with the smaller
frame, there really wasn't a selling point for the pro.

silvercelt

I have old APS, hardly use it. They is talk of getting rid of all
film, but that has to be mad, as so many (including pros) still use all
type of film cameras. i know if something wrong with my camera no one
would be able to fix it now, not even available to buy