Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED Scanner Speed?

Nikon Coolscan 9000 ED Scanner Speed?

Mardon

I've been using a Nikon Coolscan IV ED, film scanner for about 3
years. The slow speed of this device is really starting to get to
me, despite the fact that it produces acceptable quality and is still
functioning just as well as the day I got it. A full 35mm frame at
the max resolution of 2,600 dpi requires 3 min and 20 seconds (122
seconds for the preview and 198 seconds for the scan). This is using
the most recent version (v1.2) of Nikon's software and with all the
software functions active except sharpening (that is, Digital ICE4,
ROC, Digital GEM, etc, all turned on.)

I'd like to know from a first-hand user of a Nikon 9000 ED, if the
9000 will actually do all this, for a full frame scan at 4000dpi, in
under 20 seconds as claimed on the Nikon website. Their website does
not provide any information to elaborate on the 20 second processing
claim. If it will do both a preview and a complete scan in under 20
seconds, with Digital ICE, ROC , etc. all turned on, then I think I
will upgrade to the 9000 ED. Can someone provide the 'real life'
scanning times for the preview and scan functions of a 9000 ED with
all the software adjustments active? I'd hate to buy one and then
find out it's almost as slow as the Coolscan IV ED. TIA

Mardon

Opps! I meant to ask about the Coolscan 5000 ED! Please change 9000
to 5000 throughout my original post! Sorry.