Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CF card not recognized by Windows XP

CF card not recognized by Windows XP

J David Ellis

A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during
shooting without an indicated error. When I plugged it into
the USB2 card reader it was not recognized as a storage
device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same shooting
session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
not recognized by the computer?
--David

Robert Haar

On 2006/11/18 7:59 PM, "J David Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during
> shooting without an indicated error. When I plugged it into
> the USB2 card reader it was not recognized as a storage
> device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same shooting
> session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
> hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
> not recognized by the computer?

Does your camera have a USB interface? If so, put the card in the camera and
connect that to your computer.

W Paul Mills

just bob

"J David Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during shooting without an
>indicated error. When I plugged it into the USB2 card reader it was not
>recognized as a storage device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same
>shooting session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
>hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is not recognized
>by the computer?

Yikes. All I can suggest is if you put it back in the camera and can view
the pictures, like someone else said, try to download from the camera via
USB cable, firewire, or whatever is supported by your camera. If that is
impossible try another computer and/or another card reader. Good luck. If
you didn't already know, the majority of camera manufacturers recommend you
always format your cards in the camera and not on your computer. I use Canon
DSLR's and never had a problem with this method except for a microdrive
which developed a bad sector but I was still able to get all but one file
off.

Gary Edstrom

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:59:27 -0800, J David Ellis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during
>shooting without an indicated error. When I plugged it into
>the USB2 card reader it was not recognized as a storage
>device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same shooting
>session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
>hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
>not recognized by the computer?
>--David

I don't have a solution to your problem, but I have noticed an
interesting thing with my CF cards. I have 6 cards, all the same brand
and size. They look identical and have almost identical markings.
Still, I noticed Windows 'Plug-and-Pray' go through it's installation
procedure more than once when I plugged the chips in for the first time.
All together, it seemed to go through its setup process 3 different
times before it settled down and never did it again.

So, possibly, one of your chips 'looks' just slightly different to
Windows for some reason and it doesn't quite know how to handle it.

Sorry I can't offer any help...I just wanted to pass along my
experience.

Gary

Chips

I've had problems with my computer reading cards when I was using USB ports
that were not in the back of the computer. The cables that go from the
motherboard to the front ports were not very good I guess.

But the ports in the back are usually really well connected.

Try that.

GC

"J David Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during shooting without an
>indicated error. When I plugged it into the USB2 card reader it was not
>recognized as a storage device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same
>shooting session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
>hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is not recognized
>by the computer?
> --David

Wayne

Certain card readers simply not support to read card over 1 Gb. especially
some card readers were made before the 2Gb card released to the market.

"J David Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A Sandisk 2GB CF card recorded dozens of files during shooting without an
>indicated error. When I plugged it into the USB2 card reader it was not
>recognized as a storage device. It's companion 2GB card, from the same
>shooting session, was recognized without a problem. Is there special
>hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is not recognized
>by the computer?
> --David

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, J David Ellis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there special
> hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
> not recognized by the computer?

The card may have mysteriously been "toasted", but it may also have a
bad directory. The prior suggestions are good, but sometimes you DO
have to resort to "rescue" software. There are freeware and paid
options. I'm on a Mac, so the titles I use may not help you; but I've
used Sandisks own Rescue Pro to good effect.

You may have to try more than one recovery program. Once when I HAD to
recover files for a customer, third one was the charm.

Dave Cohen

Scott Schuckert wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, J David Ellis
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is there special
>> hardware/software that can get files off a CF card that is
>> not recognized by the computer?

> The card may have mysteriously been "toasted", but it may also have a
> bad directory. The prior suggestions are good, but sometimes you DO
> have to resort to "rescue" software. There are freeware and paid
> options. I'm on a Mac, so the titles I use may not help you; but I've
> used Sandisks own Rescue Pro to good effect.
>
> You may have to try more than one recovery program. Once when I HAD to
> recover files for a customer, third one was the charm.

If the card isn't being recognized, recovery software isn't going to
help much.
Dave Cohen

Scott Schuckert

In article <HJ%7h.3871$LH2.197@trndny04>, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> If the card isn't being recognized, recovery software isn't going to
> help much.

Maybe not; but I have had the experience of XP recognizing my card
reader but not seeing the media when inserted. Taking the same card
over to OSX, I was told the media was damaged and recovered it with a
software tool. Your mileage may vary.