Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SDHC card slower than SD?

SDHC card slower than SD?

Pierre

Got a Canon G7, and am using 2 memory cards.
a 4 GB SDHC and a 256M SD.

After taking a shot using the larger capacity SDHC card, it's at least
3+ seconds for the camera to process the shot, and ready itself for the
next shot.

The 256M SD card, is just over a one second to perform the same
operation.

Is this normal, perhaps due to the larger capacity? Both were
formatted in the camera.

TIA for any thoughts.
Pierre

Joan

Are both cards freshly formatted in the camera when you start your
testing?

--
Joan

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
:
: After taking a shot using the larger capacity SDHC card, it's at
least
: 3+ seconds for the camera to process the shot, and ready itself for
the
: next shot.
:
: The 256M SD card, is just over a one second to perform the same
: operation.
:
: Is this normal, perhaps due to the larger capacity? Both were
: formatted in the camera.
:
: TIA for any thoughts.
: Pierre
:

Pete D

Even if they weren't done "freshly" I can't see it making that much
difference, seems a lot of extra time to me! I am surprised that you cannot
take a second shot faster even with the 256Mb card.

"Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote in message
news:455f85ed$0$28215$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are both cards freshly formatted in the camera when you start your
> testing?
>
> --
> Joan
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
>
> "Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> : Got a Canon G7, and am using 2 memory cards.
> : a 4 GB SDHC and a 256M SD.
> :
> : After taking a shot using the larger capacity SDHC card, it's at
> least
> : 3+ seconds for the camera to process the shot, and ready itself for
> the
> : next shot.
> :
> : The 256M SD card, is just over a one second to perform the same
> : operation.
> :
> : Is this normal, perhaps due to the larger capacity? Both were
> : formatted in the camera.
> :
> : TIA for any thoughts.
> : Pierre
> :

Joan

Maybe the G7 can't handle the 4GB card. Maybe there was already 2GB
of data on it. My question stands and awaits an answer.

--
Joan

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:455f9306$0$28170$(E-Mail Removed)...
: Even if they weren't done "freshly" I can't see it making that much
: difference, seems a lot of extra time to me! I am surprised that you
cannot
: take a second shot faster even with the 256Mb card.
:
: "Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote in message
: news:455f85ed$0$28215$(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Are both cards freshly formatted in the camera when you start your
: > testing?
: >

Pierre

Joan wrote:
> Maybe the G7 can't handle the 4GB card. Maybe there was already 2GB
> of data on it. My question stands and awaits an answer.

Joan. Both cards were empty and freshly formatted in the camera.

The G7's specs allows for a 4MB SDHC. It reads and writes well to the
card, albeit a bit slower on the 4GB card. I was looking to understand
if this is normal for the cards to behave like that.

Pierre

John Bean

On 20 Nov 2006 09:19:10 -0800, "Pierre" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>The G7's specs allows for a 4MB SDHC. It reads and writes well to the
>card, albeit a bit slower on the 4GB card. I was looking to understand
>if this is normal for the cards to behave like that.

I doubt it's anything to do with SDHC (though it could be a
factor) but I think the main cause of the slowdown is that
the 4GB card is formatted FAT32 which in my experience is
much slower than FAT16 when used in consumer cameras.

--
John Bean