Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > NIKON D70 - FLASHGUN FAULT?

NIKON D70 - FLASHGUN FAULT?

mobanded

Hi.

I have bought a second hand D70 on ebay and now find that the built-in
flashgun is not working. I really like this camera and am wondering if
the repair is a costly or inexpensive job; or should I simply buy a
separate flashgun for the camera..Advice would be welcomed. Thanks in
advance.

Maureen

Dan Sullivan

mobanded wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have bought a second hand D70 on ebay and now find that the built-in
> flashgun is not working. I really like this camera and am wondering if
> the repair is a costly or inexpensive job; or should I simply buy a
> separate flashgun for the camera..Advice would be welcomed. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Maureen

Send it in to Nikon as a warranty repair.

Tell them that you rec'd it as a present from an ex-boyfriend last
Christmas and you don't have the receipt.

A separate flash is a good idea anyway.

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Dan
Sullivan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> mobanded wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have bought a second hand D70 on ebay and now find that the built-in
> > flashgun is not working. I really like this camera and am wondering if
> > the repair is a costly or inexpensive job; or should I simply buy a
> > separate flashgun for the camera..Advice would be welcomed. Thanks in
> > advance.
> >
> > Maureen

> Send it in to Nikon as a warranty repair.
>
> Tell them that you rec'd it as a present from an ex-boyfriend last
> Christmas and you don't have the receipt.
>
> A separate flash is a good idea anyway.

Last I looked, Nikon was a little more strict on proof-of-purchase than
that.

Unless you purchased it strictly as-is (not a good idea on eBay) you
should immediately contact the seller about a return. This will likely
not be a quick or cheap repair.

IF the camera is in otherwise good condition, and IF you can get a
quick estimate, you MAY want to allow the seller to pay for the repair
- in advance. It's unlikely he'll agree to that, though.

Just find another D70.

As far as an external flash, you're going to want one eventually - the
internal flash is very convenient but rather weak. But to get the
"right" flash for the camera you're going to spend three figures - and
you weren't planning on that right now, were you?

Roger (K8RI)

On 18 Nov 2006 08:33:59 -0800, "mobanded"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have bought a second hand D70 on ebay and now find that the built-in
>flashgun is not working. I really like this camera and am wondering if
>the repair is a costly or inexpensive job; or should I simply buy a

Go to your local camera shop and ask.

I had one of the very early D-70s and the flash failed within a couple
of weeks. A few months later it didn't want to focus at infinity, and
this spring it developed a strange idiosyncrasy where the light would
flash continuously when you turned it on instead of just cycling. All
were fixed for free but under warranty and through the camera shop
where I purchased it. Of course most of this was for the privilege of
being one of the early purchasers.

It took less than two weeks to get the flash repaired. The camera was
confused and even though the flash was up it kept telling me to put it
up.

>separate flashgun for the camera..Advice would be welcomed. Thanks in
>advance.

That little flash is surprisingly efficient. It's one of the self
metered units that flashes, meters, and flashes again. People only
see one flash. Cats see the first and close their eyes.

I do often use a separate flash, but I do have to remember the
settings and it sometimes takes me a couple of shots to get it right.
I have one of the old, large, Vivitar 285s that has enough power for
slow film shots the full length of a basket ball court.. It also has
enough off set to eliminate a lot of "red eye" in people or green,
gold, or blue eye in cats, but not all cases.

>Maureen

I would try to get things fixed through e-bay if possible.
The built in flash is handy, but not essential. OTOH if it doesn't
work you are going to need to replace it with something and a good
flash is probably going to run a couple hundred dollars.

If you do purchase a separate flash for the D-70 make sure it is one
that is designed to work with solid state switching.

Good Luck,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

best third party flashgun fr nikon d70 tbm Digital Photography 1 03-18-2005 06:34 PM
Old TTL flashgun with new digital Nikon camera Mel Comisarow Digital Photography 1 06-14-2004 09:00 AM
Sony 828...flashgun? joe.harman Digital Photography 3 12-30-2003 07:05 PM
Anyone successfully using the Canon 300TL flashgun with their 10D? Alan F Cross Digital Photography 0 08-10-2003 11:46 AM

Advertisments