Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D200 - processed RAW images are 240dpi ???

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon D200 - processed RAW images are 240dpi ???

 
 
Ed Ruf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:18:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Richard H."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In the raw file, you'll find there are 2 values already set - X
>Resolution and Y Resolution. Nikon sets these to 300, and everyone
>ignores them (as you seem to be finding here).


FWIW, Nikon does not set this to 300 in the D200. As the OP has stated
it's 240. My Nikon D70, 5700 and 990 all set 300 in the exif, but not
my D200.
-
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim Townsend
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
MJL Photo wrote:

> Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
> Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.


As Richard H asks..

Why do you feel the 240 DPI value is significant and what would be the
advantage of changing the 'resolution' to 300 DPI ?




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006

"Ed Ruf >" <"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:18:15 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Richard H."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In the raw file, you'll find there are 2 values already set - X
>>Resolution and Y Resolution. Nikon sets these to 300, and everyone
>>ignores them (as you seem to be finding here).

>
> FWIW, Nikon does not set this to 300 in the D200. As the OP has stated
> it's 240. My Nikon D70, 5700 and 990 all set 300 in the exif, but not
> my D200.
> -


My D70 sets the XY values to 300 in jpeg mode, but I'm not so sure of that
in RAW mode. I'm having a difficult time finding the XY values in an
unconverted NEF file. Opanda won't read the EXIF data, neither will
IrfanView, and NikonView, which is the only program I have that will read
EXIF data directly from a NEF file, doesn't report the XY values. However,
if I convert a D70 NEF file to jpeg using ACR, the XY values of the
resulting jpeg are indeed reported as 240. I have no real reason to care
about the difference, other than curiosity. Can you explain how I might get
XY values and other EXIF data directly from a NEF file before conversion
(beyond what NikonView offers as shooting data), and why the converted NEF
file jpeg's XY values are at 240 whereas jpegs processed in the D70 are at
300?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard H.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
RG wrote:
> Can you explain how I might get
> XY values and other EXIF data directly from a NEF file before conversion
> (beyond what NikonView offers as shooting data), and why the converted NEF
> file jpeg's XY values are at 240 whereas jpegs processed in the D70 are at
> 300?


Exiftool, an excellent Perl-based tool. Very potent if you're willing /
interested in editing Perl. They provide a command-line version for
non-Perl folks. It can easily change the EXIF values, such as dpi.

Point of interest... Photoshop uses 240dpi as its default in the editor,
despite the file values. The Camera Raw filter translates the 300dpi
setting in EXIF to JPEG properly, but the editor ignores it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
Richard H. wrote:
> RG wrote:
>> Can you explain how I might get XY values and other EXIF data directly
>> from a NEF file before conversion (beyond what NikonView offers as
>> shooting data), and why the converted NEF file jpeg's XY values are at
>> 240 whereas jpegs processed in the D70 are at 300?

>
> Exiftool, an excellent Perl-based tool. Very potent if you're willing /
> interested in editing Perl. They provide a command-line version for
> non-Perl folks. It can easily change the EXIF values, such as dpi.
>
> Point of interest... Photoshop uses 240dpi as its default in the editor,
> despite the file values. The Camera Raw filter translates the 300dpi
> setting in EXIF to JPEG properly, but the editor ignores it.


You are talking ppi, for starters. And are you sure it's PS selecting a
ppi value, and not something set in the camera?

--
John McWilliams
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Ruf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:58:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf <"Ed
Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote:

>FWIW, Nikon does not set this to 300 in the D200. As the OP has stated
>it's 240. My Nikon D70, 5700 and 990 all set 300 in the exif, but not
>my D200.


Forget about my ramblings above. Brain fart. It is the ACR 240
defaults I was remembering, The D200 does set 300 dpi in the exif.
-
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2006
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:29:51 -0800, in rec.photo.digital John McWilliams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Richard H. wrote:
>> Point of interest... Photoshop uses 240dpi as its default in the editor,
>> despite the file values. The Camera Raw filter translates the 300dpi
>> setting in EXIF to JPEG properly, but the editor ignores it.

>
>And are you sure it's PS selecting a
>ppi value, and not something set in the camera?


Yes, it is not something the camera sets, it's a blasted Adobe default. At
least in PSCS2 you have a chance to change this in the ACR screen. In PSE3,
you have no option during raw conversion and must use the Image Resize menu
to change this if you so desire after conversion.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2006
> MJL Photo wrote:
>
> Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
> Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.
>
> Thanks for the help.


You should be able to set this in the RAW converter you use, but it's
just a place-holder value until you go to print (which I see you
understand) and some image editors will ignore it and use their own
default value.

What software do you have for RAW conversion and for image editing?
Once people know this they can perhaps answer your Q in more detail.

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2006


>> MJL Photo wrote:

>
>> Can I change this output resolution to 300dpi, or is it always 240dpi?
>> Is this change in the camera, the converter software or elsewhere.

..
> Jim Townsend wrote:
>
> Why do you feel the 240 DPI value is significant


Apparently he wants to print at 300 ppi and so feels the 240 ppi
default is too low.

> ... and what would be the
> advantage of changing the 'resolution' to 300 DPI ?


To get better prints ... he seems to understand the print part, he just
doesn't want to have to use an editor on every photo to change 240 to
300 if he can find away of setting the default to 300 to begin with.

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2006
>> Why do you feel the 240 DPI value is significant
>
>Apparently he wants to print at 300 ppi and so feels the 240 ppi
>default is too low.


What software are people using that this matters?

My experience has been that a given file gets printed to a given size,
and that's the end of it. I can take a "240 ppi" file and print it at
4x6, or at 20x30, either way without changing the ppi. (That is,
without changing the file-internal representation of the ppi.
Obviously, the prints represent different pps values.)

It seems to me that keeping track of file size, print size, and ppi
means keeping track of one value too many.

-Joel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free custom Hanukah songsheets in Hebrew and English: http://liturgy.exc.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAW vs JPEG: 240dpi vs 300dpi, Why? babalooixnay@hotmail.com Digital Photography 1 01-10-2006 09:59 PM
Raw vs JPEG: 240dpi vs 300dpi, Why? babalooixnay@hotmail.com Digital Photography 3 01-10-2006 09:38 AM
RAW vs JPEG: 240dpi vs 300dpi, Why? babalooixnay@hotmail.com Digital Photography 1 01-09-2006 08:50 AM
RAW vs JPEG: 240dpi vs 300dpi, Why? babalooixnay@hotmail.com Digital Photography 0 01-08-2006 04:59 PM
Raw vs JPEG: 240dpi vs 300dpi, Why? babalooixnay@hotmail.com Digital Photography 0 01-08-2006 04:20 PM



Advertisments