Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Resolution, dpi, & pixelation for printing.

Resolution, dpi, & pixelation for printing.

Ben Bowen

> OK.. 1024x768 is bad for TWO reasons..
>
> The first reason is that you don't have enough resolution to produce a
> good print and the other is that the aspect ratio is wrong.
>
> 1024x768 has a ratio of 4:3 and 6x4 prints have a ratio of 3:2. The
> printer must crop some of the 4:3 image to get it to fit properly.

Man, what an uber-amatuer mistake to make. I'm usually pretty good with
the ratios.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I guess I really did drop the ball
with regard to the resolution. I'll try it all again. Too bad it took
220+ prints for me to figure this out. Stupid learning curve.

Thanks again!

Dennis Pogson

Ben Bowen wrote:
> Hi all. I just sent out a bunch of pictures to get processed. They
> were taken with my new Canon A640 (10MP). I re-sampled the pix using
> Corel Photopaint to 1024 x 768 to print 4" x 6" prints, because 10MP
> are too big to upload. I believe that is the correct resolution to
> use, however, a lot of the pictures are pixelated. So now, I'm trying
> to debug what I did wrong. I previously had a Canon Powershot S300
> (2MP) and never had these problems. I camera takes pix at 72dpi and
> the re-sampled pix have 72dpi too, so I doubt it could be that. Did I
> decrease the resolution too much? Should I make it 1200x1600? When I
> print the images at home (from orignial not-resampled images) I have
> no problem, but the re-sampled images I uploaded are no good. I will
> try various combos of re-sampling to experiment, but I'd like to have
> an idea of what I'm shooting for.
>
> Thanks...

My local Photographic Club has a good .pdf file worth reading on this
subject................
http://www.eastwoodps.com/tutorialspage.html

DP

Roy G

"Dennis Pogson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ell7h.1645$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ben Bowen wrote:
>> Hi all. I just sent out a bunch of pictures to get processed. They
>> were taken with my new Canon A640 (10MP). I re-sampled the pix using
>> Corel Photopaint to 1024 x 768 to print 4" x 6" prints, because 10MP
>> are too big to upload. I believe that is the correct resolution to
>> use, however, a lot of the pictures are pixelated. So now, I'm trying
>> to debug what I did wrong. I previously had a Canon Powershot S300
>> (2MP) and never had these problems. I camera takes pix at 72dpi and
>> the re-sampled pix have 72dpi too, so I doubt it could be that. Did I
>> decrease the resolution too much? Should I make it 1200x1600? When I
>> print the images at home (from orignial not-resampled images) I have
>> no problem, but the re-sampled images I uploaded are no good. I will
>> try various combos of re-sampling to experiment, but I'd like to have
>> an idea of what I'm shooting for.
>>
>> Thanks...

> My local Photographic Club has a good .pdf file worth reading on this
> subject................
> http://www.eastwoodps.com/tutorialspage.html
>
> DP

Hi.

I did not know you are a member of EPS. I used to be, but now live in Ayr.

Roy G

Dennis Pogson

Roy G wrote:
> "Dennis Pogson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ell7h.1645$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ben Bowen wrote:
>>> Hi all. I just sent out a bunch of pictures to get processed. They
>>> were taken with my new Canon A640 (10MP). I re-sampled the pix using
>>> Corel Photopaint to 1024 x 768 to print 4" x 6" prints, because 10MP
>>> are too big to upload. I believe that is the correct resolution to
>>> use, however, a lot of the pictures are pixelated. So now, I'm
>>> trying to debug what I did wrong. I previously had a Canon
>>> Powershot S300 (2MP) and never had these problems. I camera takes
>>> pix at 72dpi and the re-sampled pix have 72dpi too, so I doubt it
>>> could be that. Did I decrease the resolution too much? Should I
>>> make it 1200x1600? When I print the images at home (from orignial
>>> not-resampled images) I have no problem, but the re-sampled images
>>> I uploaded are no good. I will try various combos of re-sampling to
>>> experiment, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm shooting for.
>>>
>>> Thanks...

>> My local Photographic Club has a good .pdf file worth reading on this
>> http://www.eastwoodps.com/tutorialspage.html
>>
>> DP
>>

> Hi.
>
> I did not know you are a member of EPS. I used to be, but now live
> in Ayr.
>
> Roy G

Small world! Does Ayr have a Camera Club?