Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Nikon D40

New Nikon D40

kosh

Chris Hills wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Polson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>> It appears that Nikon always states a model will continue in its
>> product line until Nikon has delivered the last one from stock. Only
>> at that point is the item stated to have been discontinued.
>>
>> For example, the Nikon F3 has been out of production for 27 months by
>> the time it was finally deleted from the product line. The reason was
>> that Nikon still had stocks of the F3HP, and only when these were sold
>> did Nikon announce that the camera was discontinued.

>> The last D50 was made some months ago. There are still some in stock
>> at Nikon. Only when all these are sold will Nikon announce that the
>> D50 is discontinued. Meanwhile, stores will discount their remaining
>> stocks of the D50, helped by lower wholesale prices from Nikon, making
>> it cheaper than the D40.

> Are they still making the D70?

is Aus I hav ebeen advised they will be 'available into the new year...
this probably mean nikon Aus. will hcontinue to hold stock... (probably
the only thing they do have stock of!)

Paul Furman

Tony Polson wrote:

> Since the D40 has no particular advantage over the D50, and the
> potentially major disadvantage of being unable to drive the focusing
> mechanisms of non-AF-S lenses, a deeply discounted D50 could be a wise
> purchase.
>
> It occurs to me that Nikon are seeking to increase sales of their own
> AF-S lenses mainly at the expense of independent brands, most or all
> of whose products lack any AF-S focusing compatibility.

I believe Sigma HSM lenses are equivalent.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

DoN. Nichols

According to <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> DoN. Nichols wrote:
> > scenes, given the lack of interchangeable batteries (you had to recharge
> > them in the camera), and the limited resolution.

> I can understand the other "shortcomings" (from our point of view; I'm
> sure they all seemed reasonable at the time). But a fixed battery? Was
> there some technical reason, or was it merely, let us say, lack of
> foresight by someone?

Well ... the camera body derived power from this as well (wires
soldered to the battery carrier which normally goes into the bottom
plate of the camera). I think that removing the battery would cause a
reset of all of the counters, as well as the selected ISO. And if you
did this with some shots in the PCMCIA disk drive, you would wind up
with some rather confusing image numbering -- given the quirks already
present with continuous power. It derives the file name (in part) from
the frame number that the camera body thinks it has. (It still believes
that it is using film. This means that it remembers the last frame
number, and just keeps incrementing (0-99), and then wraps. The
electronics in the body seem to then scan for what file names are
already in use, and if there is a gap at the start, it starts using
those, until it hits a file name that is already present. Once it fills
in all of the gaps present, it increments the digit to the left of the
frame number. (FWIW, the frame number is multiplied by ten, so 1-99
result in 010-990.) Then it starts stepping through the newer numbers
-- until you run out of space on the PCMCIA hard disk and swap in a new
one, at which point it starts over -- again with whichever frame number
the camera body gives it.

Since there is no real film, you can't reset the frame number by
rewinding the "film". (I've tried -- and I guess because it never
senses the "back" being opened, it does not consider the film to have
been changed.

And the reason for incrementing by ten -- this is because it has
a voice annotation system, which uses a new file for each N seconds of
speech. So it uses the nine file names just beyond the last frame taken
for the sequential annotation files (all .wav files).

The physical design of the "back" is such that it requires
disassembly (think jeweler's screwdrivers) to change the battery -- not
a reasonable field operation.

And the battery itself is a heat-shrink bundled set of eight NiMH
cells with a special connector -- not the sort of thing that you could
find in the field, either.

I don't know for sure whether they considered making it
interchangeable, and decided to keep it permanent to preserve the
"flash" upgrades -- or whether the mechanics of interchangeable battery
packs were beyond the scale of the project. (This thing was developed
for the AP, and the cameras are so marked. I don't know whether the
others of the family were similarly stuck with built-in batteries.

Anyway -- since it was built on the N90s body, it handles both
modern "chipped" lenses and older AI lenses (in appropriate modes).

Oh yes -- another limitation. The TTL flash (from the SB-2
which would normally work on a N90s with film won't work with the sensor
in the NC2000-e/c because the reflection and dispersion from the sensor
is different from the diffuse dispersion from film which the N90s
depended upon.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols

According to Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On 19 Nov 2006 01:10:54 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (DoN. Nichols)
> wrote:
>

> >> I've looked in vain for a place to put the electronics (considering
> >> heat problems) for such a back.
> >> I think it would be much better to simply design the whole camera
> >> around the sensor, than to try to make and market a back.

> > Look at the Kodak/Nikon NC2000e/c. That is a Nikon N90s film
> >camera body with a back (and sub-base) converting it to digital. (Only
> >1.3 MP -- but it was done quite a while ago.)

> If that's the one here:
> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...lrmain9197.htm
> I don't think that fits the description of a "back", but is instead a
> conversion. The base certainly provodes a place for the electronics,
> but it's not a back.

That is it. And yes, it *is* a back with a sensor -- with a
sub-base rigidly attached. You remove the film camera's back. You
remove the battery cage from the underside of the camera, you slide the
modified and wired battery cage into the camera body while guiding the
back containing the sensor into position, and secure the whole thing
with a long captive tripod socket extension. You then plug the cable
from the base into the 10-pin connector at about 2:00 relative to the
lens as viewed from the front. (Scroll up on that page, and click on
the F90x which was the alternate name for the N90s, depending on where
you purchaseed it.) It is the larger of the two connectors on the front
-- somewhat below and to the left of the flash sync connector.

The sub-base holds the batteries, the electronics, and the
socket for the PCMCIA hard disk drive.

One other problem which I forgot to mention before is that it
does not have a display capable of showing the captured images. All the
display on the back shows is how many shots are left (and a pie chart of
percentage of PCMCIA hard drive used), and the state of the battery
charge. Plus -- with the right button pressed, it shows the SCSI ID
assigned to the back for image transfers.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Gisle Hannemyr

(E-Mail Removed) (DoN. Nichols) writes:
> I don't know for sure whether they considered making it
> interchangeable, and decided to keep it permanent to preserve the
> "flash" upgrades -- or whether the mechanics of interchangeable
> battery packs were beyond the scale of the project. (This thing was
> developed for the AP, and the cameras are so marked. I don't know
> whether the others of the family were similarly stuck with built-in
> batteries.

All the different Kodak digital backs for the Nikon N90s only let you
use built-in batteries. They are not difficult to replace, but
as you say, it is not something one does in the field.

Kodak introduced interchangable batteries (as well as a rear LCD
review screen) in its next generation (the DCS-5xx series), which
were based on the Canon EOS-1n chassis. However, the DSC-5xx was
more a complete rebuild of the camera than an interchangable back.
With the N90s, one can replace the Kodak digital back with Nikon
MF-26 back, and shoot film.

> Oh yes -- another limitation. The TTL flash (from the SB-2 which
> would normally work on a N90s with film won't work with the sensor
> in the NC2000-e/c because the reflection and dispersion from the
> sensor is different from the diffuse dispersion from film which the
> N90s depended upon.

True, but SB-28 has an excellent auto mode that works fine with
the Kodak digital back (SB-28 is the flash I on mine).
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

Pete D

<Jim> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2006-11-16 13:02:02 -0500, "just bob" <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> said:
>

>> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
>>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>>>

>> Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the cheap
>> Canon cameras are getting smarter?

> A dumb digital camera that works is not a bad thing. I shoot RAW with my
> D70s and will continue with whatever I buy in the future. Photoshop is my
> firend. But, Dad a veteran of the Speed Graphic, Leica IIIf, Nikon F and
> a Nikon F3 and Kodachrome when it was ASA 10 (yes for you young ones, ASA
> 10 with f 3.5 lenses) bought a D50. I questioned his judgement. In the
> past, he has taken many prize winning photographs. It isn't the first
> time I have later admitted Dad was right and it won' t be the last. He is
> compentent in Quicken, does on line banking etc. But, trying to teach him
> the basics of PhotoShop Elements or Microsoft Picture etc.. was well, a
> futile effort. So, with that D50 on JPEG fine, large, he takes pictures,
> shoves the SD card in his Epson printer and prints off some pretty amazing
> photos. He also takes the card to the quicky one hour lab and likewise
> gets back very credible pictures. Are they going to win the Salon Slide
> category month after month, perhaps not, but they are still very worth
> while. If he had to post process every shot, he wouldn't be taking
> pictures.

Does not make a lot of sense, sounds more like he has made a choice and is
sticking to his guns. just think what he could do if he tried a bit harder
like he did with Quicken, personally I hate Querken!!

just bob

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Wsj7h.2751$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Anthony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The EOS 10D is still available for order in Asia. Lots of canonistas
>> have also put their 300Ds, 350Ds and 20Ds on the used market and
>> upgraded. Me thinks the Nikon D40 is competing against those old Canon
>> cameras. The 10D is definitely lots better than the Nikon D40 despite
>> having almost the same pixel count.
>>
>> The Nikon D40 is also going to compete against the (discounted) D70s
>> and the D50s that are still available in the market. Makes me wonder
>> what strategy Nikon is following. I wish Nikon has something to compete
>> against the Canon 5D so that Canon is forced to lower the premium on
>> that full-frame camera.
>>

> I tell you what. Average Joe will go into best buy and he will buy the
> new
> Nikon D40 and not look for a used Canon 300D.
>
> Personally, I think it is a stroke of marketting genious.

I agree.

IMO, Too many times electronic manufacturers are focused on adding more
features to keep the price the same as it was last years model when a lot of
consumers think the price of technology should be going down every year.
Consumers who are frustrated by this will see value in being able to pickup
a DSLR for $500.