Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Nikon D40

New Nikon D40

Bill

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yb27h.7143$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
>>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>

>> Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the
>> cheap Canon
>> cameras are getting smarter?

> Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent
> as compared
> to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

I think that's the key point, price. The estimated price means the
price/performance ratio will be very good for consumers.

All of the new Canon Rebel cameras have been introduced at $1000 with
an 18-55 lense, but now you can buy a new Nikon with more than enough
features for entry level SLR users for about $600 with an 18-55 lense.
That might put a dent in the Canon XT/XTi sales for Christmas, even
with the price drops on the XT and XTi models.

Pete D

> Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as
> compared
> to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

<snip>

Mmmm, but not compared to the Pentaxes and Minoltas, which proves Nikon
correct that small and simple will win a market share.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.photo.digital Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yb27h.7143$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the
>>> cheap Canon
>>> cameras are getting smarter?

>> Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent
>> as compared
>> to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

> I think that's the key point, price. The estimated price means the
> price/performance ratio will be very good for consumers.

Nothing wrong with that. It is not like Nikon is taking options away from the
more advanced users. Dollar per dollar, Nikon competes very well against
Canon and Canon has left the sub $600 niche wide open in the SLR market.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.photo.digital Pete D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as
>> compared
>> to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

> <snip>
>
> Mmmm, but not compared to the Pentaxes and Minoltas, which proves Nikon
> correct that small and simple will win a market share.

It will fill a niche in the SLR market. It will get a lot of those old film
SLR hold outs that really just point and shoot in program modes [like my
sister-in-law ... nice composition, but no technical ability].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Wayne J. Cosshall

Pete D wrote:
> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Wayne
>> --
>> Wayne J. Cosshall
>> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
>> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

> Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact D-SLR,
> what makes Nikon think there will be?

Personally I think there is a huge market for very compact dSLRs. There
are a lot of SLR owners who are really just point and shooters who if
they decide to upgrade will want something both cheap and not too big.

Choice is great.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

kosh

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems just bob <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:
>
>>"Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed). au...
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
>>><http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>>>

>>Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the cheap Canon
>>cameras are getting smarter?
>>

> Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as compared
> to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

hmm, i'm not so sure.... remember the F-50.... or even better, the
F-401.... hell, you didn't even have manual on the FG!

kosh

kosh

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital Pete D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>>Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as
>>>compared
>>>to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

>><snip>
>>
>>Mmmm, but not compared to the Pentaxes and Minoltas, which proves Nikon
>>correct that small and simple will win a market share.
>>

> It will fill a niche in the SLR market. It will get a lot of those old film
> SLR hold outs that really just point and shoot in program modes [like my
> sister-in-law ... nice composition, but no technical ability].

there are many people who want more than a bridge camera... but don't
want a full blown SLR

kosh

Rob

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne

Interesting shutter control.

Alexander Arnakis

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:08:23 +1100, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Personally I think there is a huge market for very compact dSLRs. There
>are a lot of SLR owners who are really just point and shooters who if
>they decide to upgrade will want something both cheap and not too big.

I think the size of the D40 -- and the fact that Nikon is emphasizing
that size in its announcement -- portends a trend that might be
extended to their higher-end digital cameras. For me, the "gold
standard" for SLR compactness is the Nikon FM series. Why can't a
digital with the features of the D200 (especially the ability to meter
with AIS lenses) be made in that size?

Personally, what I want is an all-manual camera like the FM2, except
with a digital sensor instead of film. Leave off the bells and
whistles and make it small and simple.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Alexander Arnakis wrote:

> Personally, what I want is an all-manual camera like the FM2, except
> with a digital sensor instead of film. Leave off the bells and
> whistles and make it small and simple.

There's absolutely no reason Nikon can't make a 22 MP digital back for my
FE.

Rita