Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Nikon D40

New Nikon D40

Wayne J. Cosshall

Hi All,

Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
<http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>

Cheers,

Wayne
--
Wayne J. Cosshall

Pete D

"Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi All,
>
> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne
> --
> Wayne J. Cosshall
> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact D-SLR,
what makes Nikon think there will be?

Derek Fountain

Pete D wrote:
> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Wayne
>> --
>> Wayne J. Cosshall
>> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
>> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

> Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact D-SLR,
> what makes Nikon think there will be?

From the article:

'“Our customers constantly tell us that their memories just look better
with Nikon’s digital SLR cameras. The image quality is always
spectacular, displaying bright and vivid colors. A Nikon digital SLR
captures the action shots and special moments perfectly because of its
superb responsiveness. But they also tell us they wished digital SLR
cameras were smaller, lighter and easier to use,” said Edward Fasano,
general manager for marketing, SLR System Products at Nikon Inc.'

So there you are. Nikon's customers are contantly telling them. Unless,
of course, that's marketing drivel and the customers aren't constantly
telling them that. In which case they're hoping to find a niche...

Digital Photography Now

No, Olympus couldn't guarantee to supply enough for more than one global
region before Christmas, so Europe got lucky.

The E-400 is still smaller and lighter than the Nikon D40.

Here's my take on the D40:

http://dpnow.com/3197.html

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:455c252d$0$28172$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Wayne
>> --
>> Wayne J. Cosshall
>> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
>> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

> Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact
> D-SLR, what makes Nikon think there will be?

John McWilliams

Derek Fountain wrote:
> Pete D wrote:
>> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
>>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>> --
>>> Wayne J. Cosshall
>>> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
>>> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

>> Olympus thought there would be no market in the US for a very compact
>> D-SLR, what makes Nikon think there will be?

> From the article:
>
> '“Our customers constantly tell us that their memories just look better
> with Nikon’s digital SLR cameras. The image quality is always
> spectacular, displaying bright and vivid colors. A Nikon digital SLR
> captures the action shots and special moments perfectly because of its
> superb responsiveness. But they also tell us they wished digital SLR
> cameras were smaller, lighter and easier to use,” said Edward Fasano,
> general manager for marketing, SLR System Products at Nikon Inc.'
>
> So there you are. Nikon's customers are contantly telling them. Unless,
> of course, that's marketing drivel and the customers aren't constantly
> telling them that. In which case they're hoping to find a niche...

Ah. I think the key marketing direction lies in the first sentence
quoted. This Mr. Fasano is selling 'memories', not cameras.

--
john mcwilliams

Bill Crocker

"Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi All,
>
> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wayne
> --
> Wayne J. Cosshall
> Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/
> Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/

Don't get too excited. Only works with "G" lenses.

Bill Crocker

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bill Crocker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Don't get too excited. Only works with "G" lenses.

wrong.

the only lens limitation with the d40 is that autofocus requires af-s
lenses. some af-s lenses are 'g' and others aren't. anything else
will be manual focus.

RichA

Digital Photography Now wrote:
> No, Olympus couldn't guarantee to supply enough for more than one global
> region before Christmas, so Europe got lucky.

I was told they only had 2000 available, for whatever reason. I was
also told that they would produce no more. Three more DSLRs are
supposedly coming.

just bob

"Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi All,
>
> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>

Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the cheap Canon
cameras are getting smarter?

Thomas T. Veldhouse

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems just bob <kilbyfan@aoldotcom> wrote:

> "Wayne J. Cosshall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:455c2045$0$3073$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Nikon USA has just announced the D40:
>> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=774>
>>

> Is it me or are Nikon's cheap cameras getting dumber while the cheap Canon
> cameras are getting smarter?

Hmm Nikon's cameras have always been feature rich per dollar spent as compared
to Canons. The D40 won't change that [considering the price].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse