Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 28-135 USM IS Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens Shake

Canon 28-135 USM IS Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens Shake

stefanocorso@gmail.com

Hi,

just a question, I have just bought on ebay a Canon 28-135 USM IS
Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens. It looks like working well, but I noticed that
the front lens support (the one on where the front lens is attached) is
moving a little bit, as is not really fixed on the rest of the body of
the whole lens.

Just to know if it is normal of this kind of Canon USM lens or I have
to return back the item to my seller... sounds a little bit strange to
me that part of the body is not so fixed to the rest of the lens.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Stefano

Skip

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> just a question, I have just bought on ebay a Canon 28-135 USM IS
> Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens. It looks like working well, but I noticed that
> the front lens support (the one on where the front lens is attached) is
> moving a little bit, as is not really fixed on the rest of the body of
> the whole lens.
>
> Just to know if it is normal of this kind of Canon USM lens or I have
> to return back the item to my seller... sounds a little bit strange to
> me that part of the body is not so fixed to the rest of the lens.
>
> Thanks in advance for your support.
>
> Stefano

Well, we have two, and they both do it. So, if it isn't normal, now we know
of at least three lenses that do it.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

al-Farrob

> Hi,
>
> just a question, I have just bought on ebay a Canon 28-135 USM IS
> Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens. It looks like working well, but I noticed that
> the front lens support (the one on where the front lens is attached) is
> moving a little bit, as is not really fixed on the rest of the body of
> the whole lens.
>
> Just to know if it is normal of this kind of Canon USM lens or I have
> to return back the item to my seller... sounds a little bit strange to
> me that part of the body is not so fixed to the rest of the lens.
>
> Thanks in advance for your support.
>
> Stefano

A very good lens, mine has been on duty for 2 whole years and has
always done that.
No problem

al-Farrob
www.al-farrob.com

Sudee

Skip wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>just a question, I have just bought on ebay a Canon 28-135 USM IS
>>Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens. It looks like working well, but I noticed that
>>the front lens support (the one on where the front lens is attached) is
>>moving a little bit, as is not really fixed on the rest of the body of
>>the whole lens.
>>
>>Just to know if it is normal of this kind of Canon USM lens or I have
>>to return back the item to my seller... sounds a little bit strange to
>>me that part of the body is not so fixed to the rest of the lens.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your support.
>>
>>Stefano
>>

> Well, we have two, and they both do it. So, if it isn't normal, now we know
> of at least three lenses that do it.

Make that four. Mine has a little bit of play to it too. It's been
working fine for several months.

Sue

Orion

Yes, that is normal for the Canon lens. It has to be loose in order to be
able to move to correct for lens shake.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> just a question, I have just bought on ebay a Canon 28-135 USM IS
> Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens. It looks like working well, but I noticed that
> the front lens support (the one on where the front lens is attached) is
> moving a little bit, as is not really fixed on the rest of the body of
> the whole lens.
>
> Just to know if it is normal of this kind of Canon USM lens or I have
> to return back the item to my seller... sounds a little bit strange to
> me that part of the body is not so fixed to the rest of the lens.
>
> Thanks in advance for your support.
>
> Stefano

David Littlewood

In article <atM6h.2523$(E-Mail Removed)>, Orion
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> just a question, I have just bought on ebay a Canon 28-135 USM IS
>> Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens. It looks like working well, but I noticed that
>> the front lens support (the one on where the front lens is attached) is
>> moving a little bit, as is not really fixed on the rest of the body of
>> the whole lens.
>>
>> Just to know if it is normal of this kind of Canon USM lens or I have
>> to return back the item to my seller... sounds a little bit strange to
>> me that part of the body is not so fixed to the rest of the lens.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your support.

>Yes, that is normal for the Canon lens. It has to be loose in order to be
>able to move to correct for lens shake.

I agree it is normal (we have two here and they are both like that).
However, I don't think your explanation is correct; the IS is very
definitely an internal lens element movement.

I believe it is because the helical movement for the zoom is a very
lightweight mechanism, which needs a very slack fit to work. Well, I say
work, my daughter's copy of the lens has now developed a fault in the
zoom mechanism which makes it stick part way most of the time - another
indication that the mechanism is flimsy. Bit disappointing really.

David
--
David Littlewood

Phil Wheeler

David Littlewood wrote:

> I believe it is because the helical movement for the zoom is a very
> lightweight mechanism, which needs a very slack fit to work. Well, I say
> work, my daughter's copy of the lens has now developed a fault in the
> zoom mechanism which makes it stick part way most of the time - another
> indication that the mechanism is flimsy. Bit disappointing really.

I have a friend who has worn out two and is now on
his third: Too much plastic, I guess.

Phil

MarkČ

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a question, I have just bought on ebay a Canon 28-135 USM IS
> Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens. It looks like working well, but I noticed
> that the front lens support (the one on where the front lens is
> attached) is moving a little bit, as is not really fixed on the rest
> of the body of the whole lens.
>
> Just to know if it is normal of this kind of Canon USM lens or I have
> to return back the item to my seller... sounds a little bit strange to
> me that part of the body is not so fixed to the rest of the lens.
>
> Thanks in advance for your support.
>
> Stefano

That's normal. The front element extends quite a way out, and some movement
is expected.

I had one for years, and it performed well.

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Orion wrote:
> Yes, that is normal for the Canon lens.

True.

>It has to be loose in order
> to be able to move to correct for lens shake.

Completely untrue/unrelated to IS.

IS is controlled internally, and has nothing whatever to do with the front
lens element.

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> just a question, I have just bought on ebay a Canon 28-135 USM IS
>> Ultrasonic AF ZOOM Lens. It looks like working well, but I noticed
>> that the front lens support (the one on where the front lens is
>> attached) is moving a little bit, as is not really fixed on the rest
>> of the body of the whole lens.
>>
>> Just to know if it is normal of this kind of Canon USM lens or I have
>> to return back the item to my seller... sounds a little bit strange
>> to me that part of the body is not so fixed to the rest of the lens.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your support.
>>
>> Stefano

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Phil Wheeler wrote:
> David Littlewood wrote:
>>
>> I believe it is because the helical movement for the zoom is a very
>> lightweight mechanism, which needs a very slack fit to work. Well, I
>> say work, my daughter's copy of the lens has now developed a fault
>> in the zoom mechanism which makes it stick part way most of the time
>> - another indication that the mechanism is flimsy. Bit disappointing
>> really.

> I have a friend who has worn out two and is now on
> his third: Too much plastic, I guess.

If he's worn out two...then he's doing something wrong.
I shot with one for about 6 years, and a gozillion shots (perhaps 70,000
exposures) ...no problems.

www.pbase.com/markuson