Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 in PS CS (not CS2)

Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 in PS CS (not CS2)

drew.avis@gmail.com

Does anyone know if the newest Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 plugin will work in
Photoshop CS (not CS2)?

Thanks,
Drew

Charlie Choc

On 15 Nov 2006 07:26:54 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Does anyone know if the newest Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 plugin will work in
>Photoshop CS (not CS2)?

From the Adobe site: "The Camera Raw 3.6 plug-in is not compatible with versions
of Adobe Photoshop software earlier than Photoshop CS2, versions of Photoshop
Elements software earlier than Photoshop Elements 3.0, or versions of Adobe
Premiere Elements software earlier than Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0."
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

John Bean

On 15 Nov 2006 07:26:54 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Does anyone know if the newest Adobe Camera Raw 3.6 plugin will work in
>Photoshop CS (not CS2)?

No, it won't. The latest version for CS is 2.4.

If you have a camera not supported by ACR2.4 (but is by 3.6)
there is a way around it. Use the stand-alone DNG Converter
program that's bundled with ACR 3.6 to convert your raw file
to DNG. The resulting file will open with ACR2.4 in CS.

--
John Bean

drew.avis@gmail.com

John Bean wrote:

> If you have a camera not supported by ACR2.4 (but is by 3.6)
> there is a way around it. Use the stand-alone DNG Converter
> program that's bundled with ACR 3.6 to convert your raw file
> to DNG. The resulting file will open with ACR2.4 in CS.

Excellent, thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for, a way to
convert D80 raw files, without having to upgrade to CS2.

Cheers!
Drew

Thomas T. Veldhouse

John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No, it won't. The latest version for CS is 2.4.
>
> If you have a camera not supported by ACR2.4 (but is by 3.6)
> there is a way around it. Use the stand-alone DNG Converter
> program that's bundled with ACR 3.6 to convert your raw file
> to DNG. The resulting file will open with ACR2.4 in CS.

Which might be considered a good workflow reguardless.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Tom Hise

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:56:54 +0000, John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you have a camera not supported by ACR2.4 (but is by 3.6)
>there is a way around it. Use the stand-alone DNG Converter
>program that's bundled with ACR 3.6 to convert your raw file
>to DNG. The resulting file will open with ACR2.4 in CS.

Thank you so much John. I've been looking for a way to do this too.

--
Tom Hise

John Bean

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:04:05 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> No, it won't. The latest version for CS is 2.4.
>>
>> If you have a camera not supported by ACR2.4 (but is by 3.6)
>> there is a way around it. Use the stand-alone DNG Converter
>> program that's bundled with ACR 3.6 to convert your raw file
>> to DNG. The resulting file will open with ACR2.4 in CS.
>>

>Which might be considered a good workflow reguardless.

It's certainly my preferred choice (despite having
CS2/ACR3.6) but I've witnessed enough anti-Adobe feeling at
the very mention of DNG and had no desire to start another
DNG "holy war" by suggesting it was A Good Idea rather than
just a work around.

--
John Bean

John Bean

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:07:05 -0600, Tom Hise
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:56:54 +0000, John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If you have a camera not supported by ACR2.4 (but is by 3.6)
>>there is a way around it. Use the stand-alone DNG Converter
>>program that's bundled with ACR 3.6 to convert your raw file
>>to DNG. The resulting file will open with ACR2.4 in CS.

>Thank you so much John. I've been looking for a way to do this too.

You're welcome. Just to clarify: download the ACR+DNG
converter package from Adobe - they are not dependant on one
another but the converter isn't available as a seperate
download. Delete the ACR plugin - it's no use for CS and can
cause endless confusion if CS "sees" it.

The DNG Converter is a true stand-alone program which needs
no installation. Just copy it somewhere convenient and run
it.

Select a *folder* containing raw files and optionally set a
destination folder for the resulting DNGs then hit the
button. Your origials are untouched, the new DNG versions
are the files that will open in CS/ACR2.4.

Hope that helps.

--
John Bean

drew.avis@gmail.com

John Bean wrote:

> The DNG Converter is a true stand-alone program which needs
> no installation. Just copy it somewhere convenient and run
> it.

Just tried it out, and it seems to work well. Great solution!

On a related note, has anyone compared ACR vs dcraw? I've been using
dcraw for a bit, and it seems to produce pretty good results, though
you get a giant tiff to work with (must get a bigger hard drive).
However, you can set curves during conversion with ACR, but have to do
so afterwards with dcraw, and I wonder if this is a problem? I will do
a comparison myself, was just wondering if anyone else had already done
so.

Drew

John Bean

On 15 Nov 2006 12:07:04 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>John Bean wrote:
>
>> The DNG Converter is a true stand-alone program which needs
>> no installation. Just copy it somewhere convenient and run
>> it.

>Just tried it out, and it seems to work well. Great solution!

I'm glad to hear it

>On a related note, has anyone compared ACR vs dcraw? I've been using
>dcraw for a bit, and it seems to produce pretty good results, though
>you get a giant tiff to work with (must get a bigger hard drive).

It's at least as good as ACR as a pure converter, but I like
my creature comforts when it comes to adjustments.

>However, you can set curves during conversion with ACR, but have to do
>so afterwards with dcraw, and I wonder if this is a problem?

I hardly ever use curves in ACR but I do use calibration, CA
correction, and one-click WB adlustments with the eye
dropper. I also want to see all the EXIF retained in the
image, and ACR does a much better job of highlight recovery
than dcraw.

Dcraw is great value of course...

To be honest I don't use ACR that much there days, I tried
Silkypix a few months back and became an overnight convert.
Silkypix rocks!

--
John Bean