Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Re: VB.NET & C#: Both languages or just one?

Re: VB.NET & C#: Both languages or just one?

Leigh Kendall

"Dave Litwak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm a C++ and VB6 programmer and I'm just getting started with my
> certification.
>
> I am not thinking of certifying in both languages, but I am
> considering taking some of the tests in VB.NET and others in C#? I
> would like proficiency in both VB.NET and C# and I believe I could do
> this. For example, I could take 70-305 (WebApps/VB), 70-316
> (WinApps/C#), and either web services test. My question is more from
> a standpoint of post-certification marketability as opposed to a
> difficulty of learning. Does anyone have thoughts pro/con?

I guess I'd have to go with my original suspicions, and the previous poster
Jim, in that I don't believe that there's enough language specific details
on the exam to really make a difference in which you choose. And, in
reality, anyone worth their salt, should be fluent enough in either language
to be able to understand little language specifics there are on the exam.

Of course, what the perception by those hiring will be who knows. I guess it
depends on how much they know about the exams... Perhaps someone might be
more impressed that you did the C# exams vs. the VB.NET exams or even took
both, but in the end, I think it would be redundant.

Leigh

Tore Bostrup

Any time an HR department is involved in handling applications, don't expect them to know how much similarities there are between different ..Net languages, but to look for the specifics that were listed by the hiring department (i.e. either VB.Net or C# - or other for that matter). Therefore, having a mixed language certification with an explanation of why (command of both languages) or including both tracks *may* be helpful in those situation. Once you pass the initial "filter" in the hiring process, it is probably less important - but may still give you some extra points for effort and determination...

HTH,
Tore.
"Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
"Dave Litwak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm a C++ and VB6 programmer and I'm just getting started with my
> certification.
>
> I am not thinking of certifying in both languages, but I am
> considering taking some of the tests in VB.NET and others in C#? I
> would like proficiency in both VB.NET and C# and I believe I could do
> this. For example, I could take 70-305 (WebApps/VB), 70-316
> (WinApps/C#), and either web services test. My question is more from
> a standpoint of post-certification marketability as opposed to a
> difficulty of learning. Does anyone have thoughts pro/con?

I guess I'd have to go with my original suspicions, and the previous poster
Jim, in that I don't believe that there's enough language specific details
on the exam to really make a difference in which you choose. And, in
reality, anyone worth their salt, should be fluent enough in either language
to be able to understand little language specifics there are on the exam.

Of course, what the perception by those hiring will be who knows. I guess it
depends on how much they know about the exams... Perhaps someone might be
more impressed that you did the C# exams vs. the VB.NET exams or even took
both, but in the end, I think it would be redundant.

Leigh

Jaime

I thought about doing that as well but then I thought
having a more thorough understanding of one language
would be more helpful in the long run.

Leigh Kendall

Unless you're a consultant working for different clients where some will
prefer VB.NET over C# and vice versa, I'd most likely agree.

Seems to me that most shops settle on one language so therefore learning the
one your shop uses most would be the determining factor.

Leigh

"Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:076f01c38018$05b27de0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I thought about doing that as well but then I thought
> having a more thorough understanding of one language
> would be more helpful in the long run.

Dave Litwak

Thanks gang. The comments above re: HR and manager preferences may be
in play out there and are good issues to consider. I'm going take the
mixed language route and I'll post back in a few months if I get any
new perspective on the issue. I have no doubt that in an interview
that I can spin it as a positive. FWIW, as a hiring manager I didn't
have any preference, as long as the code was readable, well
structured, blah, blah, blah. Also FWIW, in the .NET world I have not
yet found any correlation between developer talent level and language.

Dave