Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photography book?

Photography book?

Eric Babula

So, I'm already having to think about my Christmas Want List. Ugh!

I'm planning on buying a new dSLR for the wifey and me. We're
'beginners' at real photography, so we don't need anything as advanced
as the Nikon D200, yet. I'm leaning toward either the Nikon D50 or
Pentax K100D, right now. We'll see what comes out just before Christmas,
tho.

Anyway - I want to learn more about how to take really good photographs
with a dSLR, or any SLR for that matter. To this point I've been using
point-and-shoot cameras, and our Nikon D65 in Program mode (basically as
a point-and-shoot). I want to learn more about the various aspects of
the SLR, in order to get even better pics than I've been taking
(Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO changes, etc., etc.). So, want to add at
least one photography book to my Christmas Want List.

Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography book
for me to add to my list? I've looked at Amazon.com, but there are so
many choices! Where does one begin? I guess I'd like a book that takes
me thru the basics, but also continues into more intermediate/advanced
photo techniques. Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
Photography Book', by Scott Kelby? It gets good reviews on Amazon. Or,
'The Better Photo Guide To Digital Photography', by Jim Miotke? Is it
worth it to get 'Photography for Dummies', or 'Digital Photography for
Dummies', or 'Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies'? Geez - so
many Dummies volumes! Anything better that you would highly suggest?

TIA for your help!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

JC Dill

On 14 Nov 2006 15:00:50 GMT, Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
>Photography Book', by Scott Kelby?

I have, and frequently recommend, Kelby's book "Photoshop for Digital
Photographers". His writing style is very easy to read, very easy to
follow, and his tips are fantastic. I haven't read the book you
mention above but I wouldn't hesitate to suggest you buy it given how
much I like his other books.

If his photography book doesn't cover using Photoshop or Photoshop
Elements to improve your photos after you have taken them, get the
appropriate PfDP to match the version of P or PE you will be using.
Learn how to take good photos then learn how to make the most of them
in photoshop and you will be well on your way!

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

Drodbar

I put it to you, Eric Babula, that on 14 Nov 2006 15:00:50 GMT you did
state the following;
> So, I'm already having to think about my Christmas Want List. Ugh!
>
> I'm planning on buying a new dSLR for the wifey and me. We're
> 'beginners' at real photography, so we don't need anything as advanced
> as the Nikon D200, yet. I'm leaning toward either the Nikon D50 or
> Pentax K100D, right now. We'll see what comes out just before Christmas,
> tho.
>
> Anyway - I want to learn more about how to take really good photographs
> with a dSLR, or any SLR for that matter. To this point I've been using
> point-and-shoot cameras, and our Nikon D65 in Program mode (basically as
> a point-and-shoot). I want to learn more about the various aspects of

CRTIQ

In article <Xns987B5BAE649Aebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230>,
Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So, I'm already having to think about my Christmas Want List. Ugh!
>
> I'm planning on buying a new dSLR for the wifey and me. We're
> 'beginners' at real photography, so we don't need anything as advanced
> as the Nikon D200, yet. I'm leaning toward either the Nikon D50 or
> Pentax K100D, right now. We'll see what comes out just before Christmas,
> tho.
>
> Anyway - I want to learn more about how to take really good photographs
> with a dSLR, or any SLR for that matter. To this point I've been using
> point-and-shoot cameras, and our Nikon D65 in Program mode (basically as
> a point-and-shoot). I want to learn more about the various aspects of
> the SLR, in order to get even better pics than I've been taking
> (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO changes, etc., etc.). So, want to add at
> least one photography book to my Christmas Want List.
>
> Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography book
> for me to add to my list?
> I've looked at Amazon.com, but there are so
> many choices! Where does one begin? I guess I'd like a book that takes
> me thru the basics, but also continues into more intermediate/advanced
> photo techniques. Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
> Photography Book', by Scott Kelby? It gets good reviews on Amazon. Or,
> 'The Better Photo Guide To Digital Photography', by Jim Miotke? Is it
> worth it to get 'Photography for Dummies', or 'Digital Photography for
> Dummies', or 'Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies'? Geez - so
> many Dummies volumes! Anything better that you would highly suggest?
>
> TIA for your help!

I would recommend any of John Hedgecoes books on photography, but this
one will do:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Pho...dp/0789496372/
sr=8-1/qid=1163529860/ref=sr_1_1/104-4985334-1607937?ie=UTF8&s=books

And this one.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Hedgecoes...ised/dp/140273
5650

After you learn about photography basic you can get a book that helps
with digital processing. If you are going to get Photoshop CS2, which
you should, I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digi...s-Matter/dp/03
21330625/sr=1-2/qid=1163530045/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-4985334-1607937?ie=UTF8&s
=books

Stay away from the Dummies books.

Eric Babula

JC Dill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 14 Nov 2006 15:00:50 GMT, Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Anyone have personal experience with 'The Digital
>>Photography Book', by Scott Kelby?

> I have, and frequently recommend, Kelby's book "Photoshop for Digital
> Photographers". His writing style is very easy to read, very easy to
> follow, and his tips are fantastic. I haven't read the book you
> mention above but I wouldn't hesitate to suggest you buy it given how
> much I like his other books.
>
> If his photography book doesn't cover using Photoshop or Photoshop
> Elements to improve your photos after you have taken them, get the
> appropriate PfDP to match the version of P or PE you will be using.
> Learn how to take good photos then learn how to make the most of them
> in photoshop and you will be well on your way!
>
> jc

Thanks. That's one thing I wasn't really thinking of - post-photo-
processing.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Eric Babula

Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns987B5BAE649Aebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230 :

> Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography
> book for me to add to my list?
>
> TIA for your help!

Did some Googling around, and found multiple suggestions for these
books:

Kodak Guide to 35mm Photography

National Geographic Field Guide to Photography

Any comments on these two?

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

CRTIQ

In article <Xns987B85E531B9Aebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230> ,
Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns987B5BAE649Aebabulacare2com@66.192.254.230 :
>

> > Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography
> > book for me to add to my list?
> >
> > TIA for your help!
> >

> Did some Googling around, and found multiple suggestions for these
> books:
>
> Kodak Guide to 35mm Photography

I would not recommend this because it deal too much with film technology.

> National Geographic Field Guide to Photography
>
> Any comments on these two?

JC Dill

On 14 Nov 2006 19:03:47 GMT, Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks. That's one thing I wasn't really thinking of - post-photo-
>processing.

Think of them as a team. In the film era, we learned about what we
could do in-camera, how we could process the negative, and how we
could process the print. In the digital age we learn what we can do
in-camera, how to "process the negative" (when shooting in a raw mode)
and how we can process the image in Photoshop (or similar software) to
produce the final image.

So, while it's important to know what you can do with Photoshop, it's
also important to do the best you can in the camera.

Good luck!

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

Olli

Eric Babula wrote:
--
> Anyway - I want to learn more about how to take really good
> photographs with a dSLR, or any SLR for that matter. To this point
> I've been using point-and-shoot cameras, and our Nikon D65 in Program
> mode (basically as a point-and-shoot). I want to learn more about the
> various aspects of the SLR, in order to get even better pics than
> I've been taking (Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO changes, etc., etc.).
> So, want to add at least one photography book to my Christmas Want
> List.
>
> Any suggestions on a really good photography or digital photography
> book for me to add to my list? I've looked at Amazon.com, but there
> are so many choices! Where does one begin? I guess I'd like a book
> that takes me thru the basics, but also continues into more
> intermediate/advanced photo techniques.

Even thiugh you asked for book of photo techniques, I recommend getting
photo books of your favourite photographers as well. While you photograph
yourself and learn techniques, its important to see what to do with them and
where you want int to take you.

Its the photos which inspire you. My favourites are so different
photographers as Josef Sudek, Helmut Newton (early production) and
Cartier-Bresson, just to name a few.

Here are some to start with, incl. Sudek:
http://www.masters-of-fine-art-photo...allery/02.html

Olli Orkoneva

Georgie Charles

If you're happy with an electronic approach, consider investing in the
123di.com program. Very comprehensive, and allows for animated
demonstrations, which add a lot. There's a free demo so you can have a
play and see if you like it.