Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why Aren't Shake Warnings Based on Camera Movement?

Why Aren't Shake Warnings Based on Camera Movement?

Roy G

"jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:18:02 GMT, "Roy G"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>What, exactly, would be the point of a "Shake" warning on a Camera which
>>was
>>equipped with full IS.

> So, you feel the shake warnings currently on cameras with IS are
> stupid?

I am not aware of any IS equipped cameras which have shake warnings. The
only cameras I have seen with shake warnings are P & S.

Yes, I would consider a Shake warning on a camera or a lens with IS or VR to
be stupid.

Just as stupid as an incorrect exposure warning would be after I have
selected Manual metering, or turned on exposure compensation.

Shake warnings are only for those who don't know about the one over rule, or
who don't know the slowest shutter speed at which THEY can hand hold
without getting shake.

As for your question "At 600mm ?"

How would I know? I don't have a 600mm lens, only an 80 to 400 VR ED, (
which gives me the 600mm equivalent ), and that is big enough and heavy
enough for me.

Roy G

John

"Rudy Benner (All_Thumbs)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Makes me wonder how we ever managed back in the olde days, no autofocus,
> autoexposure, auto color balance, antishake, did I miss anything?

Yeah - the old cameras were heavier, no plastic. Today people just cry when
they have to carry anything heavier than a thought.

John

"jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Does someone know why they don't base the shake warning on data from
> the IS system combined with shutter speed and focal length?

They don't do it because they can get away with it.

I'm building a set of add-ons for cameras with speakers. The Shake Option
sings a soothing lalabye. If you don't up the shutter speed, it falls into
Adverts for Old Peoples' homes. I'm gonna be rich!

jim evans

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:17:16 GMT, "Roy G"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> So, you feel the shake warnings currently on cameras with IS are
>> stupid?
>>

>I am not aware of any IS equipped cameras which have shake warnings. The
>only cameras I have seen with shake warnings are P & S.
>
>Yes, I would consider a Shake warning on a camera or a lens with IS or VR to
>be stupid.

This one http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_sd800is.asp
and
this one http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_sd700is.asp
and I more but two should make the point that your should get out
more.

>As for your question "At 600mm ?"
>
>How would I know? I don't have a 600mm lens, only an 80 to 400 VR ED, (
>which gives me the 600mm equivalent ), and that is big enough and heavy
>enough for me.

It was you who brought it up in your original post when you said

"I can quite easily hand hold my camera at 1 - 30th with the lens at
the 35 equivalent of 600mm."

-- jim

jim evans

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:27:46 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Another thing I'm unaware of - shake warnings.
>I have three cameras with IS; a Canon 30D (IS lenses), an S2IS, and a
>Lumix FX01. None of these have any "shake warning."
>What form do these shake warnings take?

Naturally it's different on different cameras. On mine it shows a
flashing red picture of a camera with what look like four parentheses
below it. This is a poor picture, it's actually more distinct but
look in the bottom left of this LCD display --
http://tinyurl.com/vmdlh

Also, an orange LED flashes on he body of the camera.

-- jim

Roy G

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "jim evans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Does someone know why they don't base the shake warning on data from
>> the IS system combined with shutter speed and focal length?

> They don't do it because they can get away with it.
>
> I'm building a set of add-ons for cameras with speakers. The Shake Option
> sings a soothing lalabye. If you don't up the shutter speed, it falls into
> Adverts for Old Peoples' homes. I'm gonna be rich!

Hi

I hope you do get rich, but I suspect you might only get one customer, and
he is going to keep asking stupid questions.

Roy G

Bill Funk

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:46:30 -0600, jim evans
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:27:46 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Another thing I'm unaware of - shake warnings.
>>I have three cameras with IS; a Canon 30D (IS lenses), an S2IS, and a
>>Lumix FX01. None of these have any "shake warning."
>>What form do these shake warnings take?

>Naturally it's different on different cameras. On mine it shows a
>flashing red picture of a camera with what look like four parentheses
>below it. This is a poor picture, it's actually more distinct but
>look in the bottom left of this LCD display --
>http://tinyurl.com/vmdlh
>
>Also, an orange LED flashes on he body of the camera.
>
>-- jim

Hmmm...
I would think that the fact that the viewfinder/LCD showed a moving
image would be a clue, but then, we have grown to think that we should
be protected from ourselves.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"