Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolpix 8800 - Is this to be updated?

Nikon Coolpix 8800 - Is this to be updated?

I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kon_cp8800.asp
that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

Roger Matthews

"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kon_cp8800.asp
> that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
> digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

I would be surprised if Nikon produced another "pro-sumer" bridge camera due
to the relentless rise of the cheap digital SLR.

Roger

john35o@comcast.net

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:44:19 -0000, "Roger Matthews" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
>>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kon_cp8800.asp
>> that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
>> digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

>I would be surprised if Nikon produced another "pro-sumer" bridge camera due
>to the relentless rise of the cheap digital SLR.
>
>Roger

IMHA the 8800 is a great camera for landscape and still subjects. It
sucks for use on dynamic subjects or subjects in motion(shutter delay
which can be somewhat reduced but not eliminated enough for many
applicatons).
I suspect that Nikon wanted to sell more glass and other add-ons. The
pro-sumer cameras were probably not producing ongoing revenue and in
Nikons wisdom they decided to push pro-sumer customers toward thier
DLSR lines.

I have eye problems that make traditional viewfinders difficult if not
impossible to use.

I like the 8800 because I can use the LCD to select and frame the
subject while the camers is where near my eye cant get to. I also
like the extensive zoom capability without buying many lenses.
I will stick with my 5700, 990 and 8800 for the time being. I must
admit that I am tempted to take another look at the S3-IS.

If Nikon ever comes out with a DLSR that has an LCD screen that alows
the user to preview the shot the same way the digital cameras I have
now, I will buy it.
John
Please note I know that my spelling sucks.

David J Taylor

M wrote:
> I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kon_cp8800.asp
> that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
> digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

I agree with the comments of others - Nikon (and Canon?) do not want to
improve their high-end non-SLR cameras when they dent the sales of SLRs
and their highly profitable accessories.

It seems to me that Panasonic and others have now filled the vacuum left
by the lack of successors to the excellent Nikon 8400 and 8800 cameras,
although slightly at the expense of greater noise due to the sensor being
smaller than the 8.8 x 6.6mm sensor in the Nikon 84/8800 and partially due
to the drive for even more pixels. On the up side, my Panasonic FZ5 is a
lot lighter than the Nikon 8800 I considered and rejected, and produces
some excellent pictures, as does my wife's Panasonic FZ20. I might have
got the 8800 were it not so bulky, and was only f/4.9 at its telephoto
end - the FZ20 is f/2.8!

I would love Nikon to prove me wrong and produce a 9400/9800 with an
improved version of the 8.8 x 6.6mm sensor (perhaps even in 16:9 aspect
ratio?) and with lenses as fast as and as good a quality as the Leica
lenses used on the Panasonic!

David

Joseph Miller

M wrote:
> I am interested in buying a Nikon Coopix 8800. I have noticed on
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kon_cp8800.asp
> that this camera dates back to 16 September 2004 which seems old for a
> digital camera. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their ranges?

An updated 8800 would be very nice. You wouldn't have to update many
things to make it extremely competitive with Nikon DSLRs, which may be
one reason they haven't done it. An increase in responsiveness- shutter
release and focussing time at the long end of the zoom- and a faster
lens would turn it into a fantastic camera. I've had an 8800 for some
time now and have learned to work with its limitations. The picture
quality is excellent, and it has an incredible amount of flexibility.
Even after all this time I still learn new things it can do. I recently
shot over 200 pictures at an outdoor wedding that had extreme lighting
challenges, but the results are great.

I will still probably get a DSLR at some point. From time to time I
miss shots because of the slow response of the camera, and I would
really need a superfast camera for those. But generally I think a lot
of people like the idea of owning a DSLR more than than actually needing
one.

Joe