Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A540 - what speed for SD card ?

Canon A540 - what speed for SD card ?

Gene

I'm getting a new 6MP Canon PowerShot A540 today.

I have a PQI Hi-Speed 60 2GB SD flash memory card.

QUESTION: Is this 60X (9 MB/Sec) 2GB card fast enough for this camera?

I am assuming that the camera will store the image in internal memory first,
then copy it over to the SD card. I am assuming that the time to "copy" is
the speed problem. The speed of the SD card should not influence the speed
of
the CCD, etc.

QUESTION: If I am only taking still shots about every 5 minutes, does
the faster SD cards buy me ANYTHING? I can see where video & rapid
fire shots would be a problem. But stills every 5 minutes?

I can't find any data from Canon on the required speed of the SD card
for the A540.

THANKS,
Gene

bongo

"Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EA06h.7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm getting a new 6MP Canon PowerShot A540 today.
>
> I have a PQI Hi-Speed 60 2GB SD flash memory card.
>
> QUESTION: Is this 60X (9 MB/Sec) 2GB card fast enough for this camera?
>
> I am assuming that the camera will store the image in internal memory
> first,
> then copy it over to the SD card. I am assuming that the time to "copy"
> is
> the speed problem. The speed of the SD card should not influence the speed
> of
> the CCD, etc.
>
> QUESTION: If I am only taking still shots about every 5 minutes, does
> the faster SD cards buy me ANYTHING? I can see where video & rapid
> fire shots would be a problem. But stills every 5 minutes?
>
> I can't find any data from Canon on the required speed of the SD card
> for the A540.
>
> THANKS,
> Gene

if the card you buy is to fast, it will be handy in a couple of years time
when you upgrade again.

say now

"Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EA06h.7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm getting a new 6MP Canon PowerShot A540 today.
>
> I have a PQI Hi-Speed 60 2GB SD flash memory card.
>
> QUESTION: Is this 60X (9 MB/Sec) 2GB card fast enough for this camera?
>
> I am assuming that the camera will store the image in internal memory
> first,
> then copy it over to the SD card. I am assuming that the time to "copy"
> is
> the speed problem. The speed of the SD card should not influence the speed
> of
> the CCD, etc.
>
> QUESTION: If I am only taking still shots about every 5 minutes, does
> the faster SD cards buy me ANYTHING? I can see where video & rapid
> fire shots would be a problem. But stills every 5 minutes?
>
> I can't find any data from Canon on the required speed of the SD card
> for the A540.
>
> THANKS,
> Gene

An every five minute cycle time is very easy to achieve. I've got the A540
and have not tested the rapid fire auto repeat mode - this is where SD card
speed can affect overall pictures per unit time throughput on the D50 DSLR
I've got.

By the way, don't try the expensive lithium AA batteries in the A540 - they
are good for about 15 flash shots and take forever to recharge the flash (at
which time the screen on the back is blanked). I've got some of the new
sanyo eneloops (NiMH) to try this week. Both these and the lithiums are
very low self discharge and make for a good power source for my use as an
infrequently used car camera.

say now

One more thing about SD card speed - it will not matter to performance at
all if the camera does not run a speed test on the card and then use that
information in it's write cycle; of course there is no way to tell if the
540 does this by reading the Canon spec sheets.

I'm betting that low end and P&S cameras don't bother with a speed test. No
way to make a good guess about what different speed cards will do except by
empirically comparing performance of the feature you are interested in by
using different speed cards.

Dave Cohen

say now wrote:
> "Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EA06h.7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm getting a new 6MP Canon PowerShot A540 today.
>>
>> I have a PQI Hi-Speed 60 2GB SD flash memory card.
>>
>> QUESTION: Is this 60X (9 MB/Sec) 2GB card fast enough for this camera?
>>
>> I am assuming that the camera will store the image in internal memory
>> first,
>> then copy it over to the SD card. I am assuming that the time to "copy"
>> is
>> the speed problem. The speed of the SD card should not influence the speed
>> of
>> the CCD, etc.
>>
>> QUESTION: If I am only taking still shots about every 5 minutes, does
>> the faster SD cards buy me ANYTHING? I can see where video & rapid
>> fire shots would be a problem. But stills every 5 minutes?
>>
>> I can't find any data from Canon on the required speed of the SD card
>> for the A540.
>>
>> THANKS,
>> Gene
>>

> An every five minute cycle time is very easy to achieve. I've got the A540
> and have not tested the rapid fire auto repeat mode - this is where SD card
> speed can affect overall pictures per unit time throughput on the D50 DSLR
> I've got.
>
> By the way, don't try the expensive lithium AA batteries in the A540 - they
> are good for about 15 flash shots and take forever to recharge the flash (at
> which time the screen on the back is blanked). I've got some of the new
> sanyo eneloops (NiMH) to try this week. Both these and the lithiums are
> very low self discharge and make for a good power source for my use as an
> infrequently used car camera.

I've got an A95, installed eneloops in mid September. Never charged and
still in camera at 640 shots and they work well. I shoot mainly with lcd
off, quite a few flash shots but mainly outdoor shooting. These seems to
take care of the self discharge problem.
Dave Cohen

robert@skyhighway.com

I got my new A540 yesterday. I bought 2 SanDisk 1GB Ultra II about $24
each on Ebay, including shipping. At that price, why go slower?

I am having battery problems with 2100mAhr batteries. Just a few
minutes of use and I get a low battery indicator. I have good batteries
- when I put them in my charger to "recondition" they still had 1.190
volts (while being discharged) after 5 hours. These batteries were not
depleted, but it may be the Canon A540 is not happy if the voltage gets
low. I had a Minolta Z5 that would suck the batteries dry before it
complained.
Oh, here's some battery facts:
http://www.nimhbattery.com/techfacts3.htm

I'm thinking of returning the camera...

Rob

Gene wrote:
> I'm getting a new 6MP Canon PowerShot A540 today.
>
> I have a PQI Hi-Speed 60 2GB SD flash memory card.
>
> QUESTION: Is this 60X (9 MB/Sec) 2GB card fast enough for this camera?
>
> I am assuming that the camera will store the image in internal memory first,
> then copy it over to the SD card. I am assuming that the time to "copy" is
> the speed problem. The speed of the SD card should not influence the speed
> of
> the CCD, etc.
>
> QUESTION: If I am only taking still shots about every 5 minutes, does
> the faster SD cards buy me ANYTHING? I can see where video & rapid
> fire shots would be a problem. But stills every 5 minutes?
>
> I can't find any data from Canon on the required speed of the SD card
> for the A540.
>
> THANKS,
> Gene

ASAAR

On 26 Nov 2006 15:45:10 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I got my new A540 yesterday. I bought 2 SanDisk 1GB Ultra II about $24
> each on Ebay, including shipping. At that price, why go slower?
>
> I am having battery problems with 2100mAhr batteries. Just a few
> minutes of use and I get a low battery indicator. I have good batteries
> - when I put them in my charger to "recondition" they still had 1.190
> volts (while being discharged) after 5 hours. These batteries were not
> depleted, but it may be the Canon A540 is not happy if the voltage gets
> low. I had a Minolta Z5 that would suck the batteries dry before it
> complained.

The A540 should do much better than that. Canon's manuals have
Battery Capacity information, and the A540 is normally able to take
90 pictures using alkaline batteries and 360 pictures using NiMH
batteries. It doesn't state what capacity NiMH batteries were used,
but they're probably the Canon NB4-300 AA NiMH batteries mentioned
on the previous specifications page. I assume that they're no
greater than 2,500 mAh capacity, so if your 2,100 mAh batteries are
in good condition (and your "recondition"ing test indicates that
they are), they should be good for about 300 shots. Note that this
is a fairly conservative and demanding specification, as they're not
just outdoor shots that use little battery energy, but require that
the flash should be used for every second shot and that the LCD
monitor is turned on. If the flash isn't used and the viewfinder is
used instead of the LCD monitor, the camera is rated at 600 shots
using a pair of alkaline AA cells and 1,000 shots using NiMH cells.
I'd suggest putting a pair of fresh alkaline cells in the A540 and
try to either duplicate the "tough" CIPA procedure spelled out in
the manual on page 122 to see if you can get about 90 shots, or
alternatively, if you can get about 600 shots using only the
viewfinder and not using the LCD display. That'll quickly tell you
whether your camera has something wrong with it or not.

One question though. If your 2,100 mAh NiMH cells are standard
design NiMH cells, they would have been manufactured a couple of
years ago and probably have much less than the original 2,100 mAh
capacity, and unless you know the discharge rate of your charger's
"recondition" circuit or have a battery tester designed to evaluate
the battery capacities, you won't really know what the condition of
your NiMH batteries are. If the A540 doesn't pass the test using
alkaline AA cells, you should immediately return the camera for a
replacement and your 2,100 NiMH probably will probably work
satisfactorily in it. If it does pass the test (more than 60 shots
using the CIPA test procedure or more than 300 shots using without
using the flash or the LCD monitor) then one or both of your NiMH
cells are defective. Does your charger display the voltages while
it reconditions, or did you use a separate meter to measure the
voltages, either while in the charger or after removing them?

robert@skyhighway.com

You have made some good observations, ASAAR. I did little science,
rather I relied on my experience with these batteries in other cameras,
and my experience with the charger. The Specs for my MAHA MH-C204F
charger say the discharge rate is .24A
If my 5 hour observation was accurate, that would be 1200mAhr remained
in the batteries after the camera flagged them. I think I am taking
their (and your) advice and getting some higher capacitiy batteries.

I actually sent a note to Canon, and got this reply within one busines
day! Having grown accostomed to boiler plate replies when using online
support, I am impressed with the level of detail, and how well it
addresses my problem:

~~~~~~~~~~ from Canon Support ~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mr. robert:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a
Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am
sorry to
hear that your A540 camera is using battery power too quickly.

The A540 camera was shipped with Panasonic Gold AA-size alkaline
batteries. According to the product catalog, one set of these
batteries will provide sufficient power to the camera for 90 images
when using the LCD display and 600 images if not using the LCD display.
If you use the Canon NiMH rechargeable batteries to power to the
camera they should
work for 360 images when using the LCD display and 1000 images if not
using the LCD display.

Canon has done some limited testing with other brands of batteries and
has found that the Panasonic Gold Alkaline and Duracell Ultra brands
are approximately equal in providing power to the camera. Other tested

brands showed less endurance, including (in decreasing order of
endurance) Valt, Energizer, Ray-O-Vac, and non-alkaline Duracell.

Canon is not endorsing any particular brand of batteries, but camera
owners should be advised that different battery brands might provide
more or less endurance. Other factors are use of the LCD display (as
previously mentioned) and ambient temperature. At lower temperatures,
batteries provide significantly less endurance.

You may need to clean the battery contacts inside the camera to correct

this issue. To clean the battery contacts remove the camera batteries
and set aside. Rub the battery contacts inside the camera body gently
with a clean pencil eraser. Before reinserting the batteries, wipe the

battery terminals well with a dry cloth. Oil from one's skin or other
dirt may cause a considerable reduction in the number of recordable
images or reduced usage time.

If the camera does not perform within an acceptable variance of the
specifications noted above, regardless of the batteries used, then
unfortunately, the unit will need to be examined by a service
technician. We do apologize for this inconvenience. You can check with

the dealer the camera was purchased from to determine their return or
replacement policy or you can send the camera to our Factory Service
Center for evaluation.

Please mail your digital camera to the Factory Service Center shown
below. When shipping your camera, please be sure to remove the memory
card and batteries. You are not required to send any accessories or
manuals when shipping the camera. Be sure to include your name, street

address (no P.O. boxes, please), telephone number, and a letter
describing the issue with the product. Since it has been less than one

year since the camera was purchased, we ask that you also include proof

of warranty in the form of a copy of your sales receipt.

As we do not provide RMA numbers for service, we suggest using a
trackable and insurable service (i.e. UPS, Federal Express, Priority
Mail) to ship your camera. Please package the camera very securely in
a sturdy shipping box to prevent damage during shipment.

Please send your camera to the following address:

Canon Factory Service
1440 Chase Ave.
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

Telephone: (630) 250-6500
Business hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Central) Monday-Friday

Upon arrival at the Factory Service Center, your camera will be logged
in to our repair database and assigned a repair number. Next, the
camera will be examined and you will be advised of the findings. If
the required repairs are covered by the warranty, the repairs will
begin
immediately, and you will not be contacted. When the repairs are
complete, the camera will be shipped back to you via Federal Express.
The length of time for the repair will be dependent upon the nature of
the repair and availability of parts, if needed. Usually, warranted
repairs are completed within approximately ten to fourteen business
days of the camera's arrival at the Factory Service Center.

All decisions regarding warranty coverage are made by the Factory
Service Center at the time of repair. If the repair entails something
that is not covered in warranty, a written estimate will be sent to you

at the address that you have provided. The repairs to your camera will

not begin until you approve this estimate and make payment
arrangements. If, after receiving the estimate, you do not wish to have
the camera
repaired, please inform the Factory Service Center of your decision as
soon as possible. If you decline the estimate, the camera will be
shipped back to you unrepaired.

Once you have confirmed with your shipper that the camera has been
delivered, you are more than welcome to contact us for repair updates.
Please include your name, address, and telephone number, as well as the

serial number of the camera, in all repair status inquiries. If you
prefer to check the repair status by phone, please call the Canon
Customer Care Center at 1(800)828-4040. Agents are available Monday
through Friday, from 8 AM to Midnight ET, and on Saturdays from 10 AM
to 8 PM ET. Again, please have the serial number of the camera
available
when you call.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to
contact us again if you have any other questions or concerns regarding
your A540 camera.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

>snip<

Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.
If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email,

you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with
unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362,
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m.
- 8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this
message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

WWWSSS Form Message
Product Type: PowerShot A540
Product Model:
mercury: 1118B001AA
category:
WSS0: Camera Basics
WSS1: Battery performance
WSS2:
WSS3: Please refer to the following information.
WSS-LENGTH: 4
Product Serial Number: <snip<
Date of Purchase: 11//06
>snip personal<

q01: USB_connection
q02: Windows_XP
q03: No_Power
INQUIRY: Camera will not operate unless NiMH batteries are fully
charged. Camera shows low battery warning after .5 hour of on time (LCD

on) and 10 flash photos.
3 sets of freshly charged 2100mAhr batteries were used. On pair took
more than 5 hours to discharge in my MAHA MH-C204F charger. Terminal
voltage of the batteries (in the charger, during discharge, after 5
hours )was 1.190 V using Tektronix DMM914. The batteries were not
discharged!
I think the camera gives a false battery low reading.
I want to return it for a replacement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ End Quote ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 27 Nov 2006 20:20:18 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> You have made some good observations, ASAAR. I did little science,
> rather I relied on my experience with these batteries in other cameras,
> and my experience with the charger. The Specs for my MAHA MH-C204F
> charger say the discharge rate is .24A
> If my 5 hour observation was accurate, that would be 1200mAhr remained
> in the batteries after the camera flagged them. I think I am taking
> their (and your) advice and getting some higher capacitiy batteries.
>
> I actually sent a note to Canon, and got this reply within one busines
> day! Having grown accostomed to boiler plate replies when using online
> support, I am impressed with the level of detail, and how well it
> addresses my problem:

<ha> I think that the first support tech. that read your message
bumped the support request up to second level support after reading
your detailed information, whether he/she actually knew what your
Maha and Tektronix equipment was. It is nice to know that sometimes
there's actually a competent human on the other side, since it's not
uncommon for a message such as yours to get a boilerplate reply
asking for some of the same information already given.

One point about Canon's suggestion to make sure that the battery
contacts are clean. Others have mentioned that too, and it's good
advice. But short of having actual crud on the contacts from
battery leakage, I've never had a problem with dirty contacts on the
device's side. On the other hand, the metal casing used for the
negative contact on some brands of NiCD and NiMH batteries have
occasionally needed cleaning. I don't know what caused the problem,
but the cells stood out if carefully examined, with the metal having
a dull appearance, and just a few swipes with a large eraser (the
ink side of a dual ink/pencil eraser) quickly cleaned it, resulting
in a shinier surface and much better contact.