Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Deciding between Canon SD800 IS, A710 IS, and Fuji F30

Deciding between Canon SD800 IS, A710 IS, and Fuji F30

RSS

Hi-

I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:

Canon SD800 IS
Canon A710 IS
Fuji Finepix F30
Sony DSC-W7
Panasonic DMC-LX2

I think I've knocked the latter two off the list, but I could be
persuaded to reconsider that.

Here are my concerns:

The Fuji keeps getting the best reviews in terms of its noise
performance in low light. This seems like it could be important.
However, it lacks true image stabilization technology that the others
all have. I am a typical leisure photographer who does a bit of
everything, and occasionally I find it important to have some good
manual control over the camera. I do not often (or at this point,
ever) print my photos, though I might consider it down the road. I
just want a camera that performs well, gives high quality images under
the majority of scenarios, and has lots of user control.

Can anyone help steer me on the choices above? For my needs I don't
see any reason to spend more than $400. I don't need the smallest
camera, but I also don't want any of the bulky models. And I am not
sure if I really care if I have 6 MP or 10 MP.

For your information, my current camera is a Canon A70 and I liked it,
but it's outdated now, and I also feel like the image quality and
performance have deteriorated over time.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Maurice Hood

I'm in the same position but for my money the canon a710is
has to be the best buy.

> Hi-
>
> I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
> I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:

=?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=

RSS wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
> I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
>
> Canon SD800 IS
> Canon A710 IS
> Fuji Finepix F30
> Sony DSC-W7
> Panasonic DMC-LX2

Com'on ! Enough ! Just go to the camera shop, and hold the cameras in
your hands. You will quickly see which ones you like and which you
don't. The next step would be to snap the pictures on your SD card, and
look at them at home. You will see which pictures you like and which
you don't. I personally snapped and looked at pictures from Canon A700
and Panasonic LX1 (besides other cameras), and chose LX1.

Kinon O'Cann

"RSS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi-
>
> I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
> I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
>
> Canon SD800 IS
> Canon A710 IS
> Fuji Finepix F30
> Sony DSC-W7
> Panasonic DMC-LX2
>
> I think I've knocked the latter two off the list, but I could be
> persuaded to reconsider that.

snip

The two on the list that seem to be the best overall (for you) are the Canon
SD800IS and A710IS. Between those two, the SD has a wider angle lens, but
not as much tele (the A710IS goes a bit longer). The A710IS uses AA
batteries, and that may be something to consider. The other one is smaller
and lighter, if that's what you're looking for. Of those two, I'd get the
A710IS since I think it presents a better value.

Now if I was buying, I'd get the Panny, since I'm willing to put up with the
noise in order to get that wider aspect ratio sensor and that very nice
Leica lens. But that's me...

Bruce Chastain

"RSS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi-
>
> I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
> I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
>
> Canon SD800 IS
> Canon A710 IS
> Fuji Finepix F30
> Sony DSC-W7
> Panasonic DMC-LX2

FYI, I just bought the A-710 IS and am extremely happy with it. I just went
on a 2 week vacation and took a bit over 600 pictures. Not a bad picture in
the lot.

The IS did a great job in low light/slow shutter/no flash environments.

Bruce.

Morton Linder

Bruce Chastain wrote:
> "RSS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Hi-
>>
>>I've done some extensive reading online from various review sites, and
>>I have narrowed my field of cameras to consider to the following:
>>
>>Canon SD800 IS
>>Canon A710 IS
>>Fuji Finepix F30
>>Sony DSC-W7
>>Panasonic DMC-LX2

> FYI, I just bought the A-710 IS and am extremely happy with it. I just went
> on a 2 week vacation and took a bit over 600 pictures. Not a bad picture in
> the lot.
>
> The IS did a great job in low light/slow shutter/no flash environments.
>
> Bruce.

Hi,

I recently got a Canon SD800 IS, and am quite pleased with it. The focus
and exposure are great, and I can easily make sharp 8 x 10" enlargements
even after some cropping. The 28 mm. equivalent is very handy when I
can't move back further. Having such a good camera in such a small size
and weight means that I can carry it with me every time that I leave home.

Good luck.

Morton Linder

Sam

news:Tr_5h.39$(E-Mail Removed)...

:
: Now if I was buying, I'd get the Panny, since I'm willing to put up
with the
: noise in order to get that wider aspect ratio sensor and that very
nice
: Leica lens. But that's me...

What about Canon's common problem when it comes to purple fringing?
BTW, just curious on how none of the Sony's were mentioned? The manager
at Best Buy says the pictures Sony takes in the P&S market is better
than even Canon and is right up at the top.

Kinon O'Cann

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Kinon O'Cann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Tr_5h.39$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> : The two on the list that seem to be the best overall (for you) are the
> Canon
> : SD800IS and A710IS. Between those two, the SD has a wider angle lens,
> but
> : not as much tele (the A710IS goes a bit longer). The A710IS uses AA
> : batteries, and that may be something to consider. The other one is
> smaller
> : and lighter, if that's what you're looking for. Of those two, I'd get
> the
> : A710IS since I think it presents a better value.
> :
> : Now if I was buying, I'd get the Panny, since I'm willing to put up
> with the
> : noise in order to get that wider aspect ratio sensor and that very
> nice
> : Leica lens. But that's me...
>
> What about Canon's common problem when it comes to purple fringing?

What problem is that? I'm not aware of any excessive fringing issues on
Canon cams.

> BTW, just curious on how none of the Sony's were mentioned? The manager
> at Best Buy says the pictures Sony takes in the P&S market is better
> than even Canon and is right up at the top.

Read the reviews, look at the sample pix, decide for yourself. Do NOT trust
any salesman to know what cam is best, they have NO CLUE!

RSS

As someone astutely suggested, I am going to hit Circuit City some time
this week and try to put my hands on a few different cameras. I think
I will be happy with any of the cameras that I mentioned in the
original post. The question for me, which only hands-on will answer,
is whether I like an ultra-compact or not. Having used the A70, I
might gravitate toward the A710.

But given the amazing price with the $50 rebate on the Fuji, I am
almost inclined to buy that camera with the knowledge that I can
probably sell it for even money if I changed my mind, which I probably
won't. At $203 after rebate, it's nearly 50% less than the SD800. For
that money, I can't see any reason on earth to buy the SD800. So it
will be down to the A710 for about $300 online, or the Fuji. I've
ruled out the Panasonic and the Sony - though I really like the
features and the style of these cameras, there seem to be consistent
complaints about noise and picture quality from multiple reviewers.

Heh, the other reason for getting the Fuji would be to try to do
something about the mammoth market-share that Canon controls

Thanks for all the suggestions.

RSS

To summarize my search and decision...

I went to Circuit City and Best Buy last night and I saw most of the
cameras that I was interested in. of the ones that i originally
mentioned, I saw:

canon A710 IS
canon SD800 IS
fuji FX20 (but no one had the FX30)

nobody had the panasonic LX2.

based on my visit, i ruled out the A710 IS because i decided that i
have had 4 years with the relatively bulky a70 and i wanted to go for
the sexy ultracompact design. plus, i really was bothered by the lower
LCD resolution of the A710IS.

i ruled out the SD800 IS based on several factors. mostly, i didn't
like the way it felt in my hand. hard to put a quantitative value on
that, but nonetheless, didn't like the feel. i also thought the icons
and menus in the canons are a bit mickey mouse and cheesy. also, i
felt that it was much easier to accidentally activate functions on the
back of the camera while just holding it (the ISO setting kept coming
up). little things, but they mattered in hand, and i wouldn't know if
i didn't hold it.

i liked the feel of the SD630 better than the SD800 but it too had the
"easy to activate things by accident" issue.

the fuji was frustrating. i really *wanted* to like it, and all in all
it isn't bad. but given that it is not a bigger camera like the A710,
i felt that it wasn't small enough compared to the other ultracompact
models. there is a lot of body around that 2.5" screen, and it seemed
unnecessary. combine that with the lack of optical IS, and the low
zoom, and the fewer megapixels, and it added up to a not-so-hot.

what ended up happening was that i saw a few other cameras that i fell
in love with. these were the panasonic lumix fx01, fx07, and fx50.
the feel in the hand, especially the fx01 and fx07, was fantastic for
me. the menus are logical, and the display was very high quality. i
like the idea of the larger LCD of the fx50, but decided that it is not
worth 50 dollars more to have a bigger camera (with a smaller region to
hold in the hand, as well, i should note).

the fx07 is only 3.6x zoom at max resolution, but you can apparently
get 5.5x zoom if you operate at 3M pixel, which is nice.

a final note, which i hate to acknowledge because i wish i were immune
to this stuff, is that the FX07/FX50 were probably the most attractive
cameras that i saw, bar none. so much for only considering the hard
data.

i ended up ordering fx07 (black) online for $250 shipped.

i did a lot of reading of reviews, and then of forums, and there are
presently not full-blown reviews on the most detail oriented sites for
the fx07, but there was for the fx01, and i felt that although this
camera didn't do quite as well as the SD800 or the fuji F30, that the
FX07 is likely to be a little better than the FX01, and i suspect that
i may not be using the camera in the situations where the noise problem
of panasonic will be worst. they also claim that they have some
additional noise handling capability in the FX07/FX50, but i will have
to see. worst case, i'll sell the camera and get a different one - but
i expect that won't be the case.

thanks to all for the suggestions.