Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2

Digital SLR - Pentax K100D vs *istDL2

yul1_77@yahoo.com

Hi,

I am very new with cameras and a few people told me that the Pentax
basic SLR will do my nicely without paying too much. The problem is, I
didnt know that Pentax has different series and models within those
price range. I was offered a package deal in one camera shop for the
K100D and went to another shop and saw a similar camera (which of
course is the ist DL) for $100 less and so being gulible, I went and
bought it straight away.

I came home realising that the istDL is an older version.

I thought that what the camera shop was really dishonest and not
telling the facts. Anyway, my fault as well for being too gullible.

My question is, whether the istDL (being an older version) will do much
worse than the K100. I need it to take product photos for catalogue and
so I thought I would need the Shake Reduction system?????

Paul Mitchum

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very new with cameras and a few people told me that the Pentax
> basic SLR will do my nicely without paying too much. The problem is, I
> didnt know that Pentax has different series and models within those
> price range. I was offered a package deal in one camera shop for the
> K100D and went to another shop and saw a similar camera (which of
> course is the ist DL) for $100 less and so being gulible, I went and
> bought it straight away.
>
> I came home realising that the istDL is an older version.
>
> I thought that what the camera shop was really dishonest and not
> telling the facts. Anyway, my fault as well for being too gullible.
>
> My question is, whether the istDL (being an older version) will do much
> worse than the K100. I need it to take product photos for catalogue and
> so I thought I would need the Shake Reduction system?????

If you needed the shake reduction, then you needed the K100.

The other major difference between the two are that the DL has a
penta-mirror viewfinder, whereas the K100 has a penta-prism. This means
the K100 will likely have a brighter viewfinder (I say likely because I
haven't had both in my hands to make the comparison).

The way you should have looked at it was this: You'd get shake reduction
and a brighter viewfinder for only $100 more. Whether you should return
the DL is up to you, of course. The DL will still serve you well, just
not quite as well as the K100 would.

Also: For product photography, you really should use a tripod. And if
you're using a tripod, you don't need shake reduction. Use the $100 you
saved to get a decent tripod and ball head.