Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D80 at Costco

D80 at Costco

MJG

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:32:56 GMT, MJG
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> Yeah, and if you don't change the oil right, the maker will void the
> warranty.
> It's maintenance, that's all.

Right Bill I'll try again for just one more time as you are obviously
struggling to understand what I am saying. If you don't get it this time
I'll give up.

I can and do change my oil.

I can and do wash my car (as I say under duress)

But I wouldn't mess about with something as important as the engine ECU.

Now read on carefully:-

what I am doing here is making an analogy between the ECU in a car and
the CCD in a DSLR. I wouldn't by choice mess with either......do you get
it yet?????

--

MJG
(Take THEDOG out to email me)

Scott W

MJG wrote:

> Right Bill I'll try again for just one more time as you are obviously
> struggling to understand what I am saying. If you don't get it this time
> I'll give up.
>

> I can and do change my oil.
>
> I can and do wash my car (as I say under duress)
>
> But I wouldn't mess about with something as important as the engine ECU.
>

> Now read on carefully:-
>
> what I am doing here is making an analogy between the ECU in a car and
> the CCD in a DSLR. I wouldn't by choice mess with either......do you get
> it yet?????

But cleaning you sensor is much more like cleaning your lenses, and I
assume you do clean your lenses from time to time.

I have no problem if you are freaked out but cleaning your sensor and I
would not try to argue that you should by a DLSR given your reluctance
to clean the sensor. But you recommended to someone not to buy a DSLR
due to the dust issue, and this is what I take issue with. I am not
saying they you should not raise the issue, but others of us that have
not had the issues you have will counter with our own experiences.
This is not to try to get you to buy another DLSR but rather to balance
your views on the dust on sensor issue.

Scott

Bill Funk

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:52:00 GMT, MJG
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:32:56 GMT, MJG
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> Yeah, and if you don't change the oil right, the maker will void the
>> warranty.
>> It's maintenance, that's all.

>Right Bill I'll try again for just one more time as you are obviously
>struggling to understand what I am saying. If you don't get it this time
>I'll give up.
>

>I can and do change my oil.
>
>I can and do wash my car (as I say under duress)
>
>But I wouldn't mess about with something as important as the engine ECU.
>

>Now read on carefully:-
>
>what I am doing here is making an analogy between the ECU in a car and
>the CCD in a DSLR. I wouldn't by choice mess with either......do you get
>it yet?????

Interestingly, there are tools that allow you to tinker with the car's
brain.
Cleaning the sensor on a DSLR isn't tinkering with the camera's brain,
though. It's normal maintenance; it's done when it needs to be done.
As with your car, the maker would like very much that you take it to
the dealer to have this maintenance done, but it's not necessary to do
that: the user can do it.
If this is something that scares you, then don't use a DSLR. But
you're overreacting, given the number of DSLR users who don't have a
problem doing this maintenance themselves.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Scott W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But cleaning you sensor is much more like cleaning your lenses, and I
> assume you do clean your lenses from time to time.
>
> I have no problem if you are freaked out but cleaning your sensor and I
> would not try to argue that you should by a DLSR given your reluctance
> to clean the sensor. But you recommended to someone not to buy a DSLR
> due to the dust issue, and this is what I take issue with. I am not
> saying they you should not raise the issue, but others of us that have
> not had the issues you have will counter with our own experiences.
> This is not to try to get you to buy another DLSR but rather to balance
> your views on the dust on sensor issue.

Cleaning the sensor [anti-aliasing filter actually] is not hard to do at all,
and really shouldn't intimidate most people. Granted, you take the risk of
voiding your warrentee [on the sensor] if you scratch it, but that is quite
simple to avoid as long as you use the proper materials to clean with.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

John Turco

MJG wrote:

<heavily edited, for brevity>

> Just my two cents for which I know I risk getting flamed but does this
> face look bovvered?????
>
> --
>
> MJG
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (Take THEDOG out to email me)

Hello, Martin:

Come, now -- how could anybody have the heart to flame Gilligan, of
all people, after the poor bumbler was forced to spend so many years,
stranded on a deserted island?

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

George K

Some people are willing to pay someone to wash their car, put air in
the tires etc. It is the owners choice decide to learn how to do it or
pay somewone to do it. And if they do not want to do either, they
should not be using cameras more advanced than the Point and shoot.

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Scott W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>

> > But cleaning you sensor is much more like cleaning your lenses, and I
> > assume you do clean your lenses from time to time.
> >
> > I have no problem if you are freaked out but cleaning your sensor and I
> > would not try to argue that you should by a DLSR given your reluctance
> > to clean the sensor. But you recommended to someone not to buy a DSLR
> > due to the dust issue, and this is what I take issue with. I am not
> > saying they you should not raise the issue, but others of us that have
> > not had the issues you have will counter with our own experiences.
> > This is not to try to get you to buy another DLSR but rather to balance
> > your views on the dust on sensor issue.
> >

> Cleaning the sensor [anti-aliasing filter actually] is not hard to do at all,
> and really shouldn't intimidate most people. Granted, you take the risk of
> voiding your warrentee [on the sensor] if you scratch it, but that is quite
> simple to avoid as long as you use the proper materials to clean with.
>
> --
> Thomas T. Veldhouse
> Key Fingerprint: D281 77A5 63EE 82C5 5E68 00E4 7868 0ADC 4EFB 39F0

cjcampbell

V Green wrote:
> All:
>
> Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
> the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
> is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.

> The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
> RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
> which the xTi has addressed.
>
> Is this such a big deal, especially if you're a lifetime
> amateur and already take good care when changing
> lenses?

Dust is not that big an issue. If you get dust specks on your sensor
while in the field you can nearly always edit them out easily. Contrary
to the many warnings in the manual, the sensor is easily cleaned.

My D70 used to get a lot of dust, but since I have had the D200 I have
had to clean the sensor only once.

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
George K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Cleaning the sensor [anti-aliasing filter actually] is not hard to do at
> > all,
> > and really shouldn't intimidate most people. Granted, you take the risk of
> > voiding your warrentee [on the sensor] if you scratch it, but that is quite
> > simple to avoid as long as you use the proper materials to clean with.

That would be the SOS pad and Bon Ami, right? :^)

cjcampbell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> V Green wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
> > the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
> > is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.

> > The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
> > RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
> > which the xTi has addressed.
> >
> > Is this such a big deal, especially if you're a lifetime
> > amateur and already take good care when changing
> > lenses?

> Dust is not that big an issue. If you get dust specks on your sensor
> while in the field you can nearly always edit them out easily. Contrary
> to the many warnings in the manual, the sensor is easily cleaned.
>
> My D70 used to get a lot of dust, but since I have had the D200 I have
> had to clean the sensor only once.

Not to mention that the dust removal system on the XTi is relatively
ineffective, from my own experiences and that of others I have read.
It's got a long way to go to be even 50% effective. Nice selling
point, fairly worthless in reality. And I certainly love my XTi in
other respects, so I'm not Canon-bashing.

Oh, by the way, I've had to clean the sensor on my XT and my XTi
exactly 3 times over the course of a year or so and 12,000 or so
images. Tough, huh? Makes me really regret going to digital. :^)

And he's right - cleaning the sensor is no big deal, if you learn to do
it right. 30 seconds and you're done. Here's a good place to start:
<http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/>.

Bill Funk

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:44:09 -0800, Ken Lucke <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>George K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Cleaning the sensor [anti-aliasing filter actually] is not hard to do at
>> > all,
>> > and really shouldn't intimidate most people. Granted, you take the risk of
>> > voiding your warrentee [on the sensor] if you scratch it, but that is quite
>> > simple to avoid as long as you use the proper materials to clean with.

>That would be the SOS pad and Bon Ami, right? :^)

I find a Dremel Tool to be about the right tool for the job.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"