Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D80 at Costco

D80 at Costco

Pete D

"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mRK5h.11427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the Canon system works pretty well according some owners.
>
> Its suppose to be a lot better than the one in the alpa.
>

> You can even find "before and after" examples in some forums.

Ultimately the problem is pretty trivial that few actually have more than
minor problems with. The better camera have a special anti dust coating that
stops the dust being attracted and stops it from sticking to the AA filter.
Rarely an issue if you are sensible when changing lenses. Even if you have
dust on your filter/sensor it will only show up at smaller aperture settings
in areas that are either out of focus or very light in colour.

Jack

"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:JwK5h.11047$jG4.51848
@wagner.videotron.net:

> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20831512

It is one complaint. All the other posts are answers to this post. I
would hardly say a camera is bad based on one or even several complaints.
He is an admitted novice and really doesn't know how to properly use the
D80. The D80 is an awsome camera.
Jack

Bill

"V Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)1.gblx.net...
> All:
>
> Costco is selling the D80 with two lenses (one is
> the std. one that comes in a D80 "kit", the other
> is a longer lens, can't remember which) for $1299.
>
> I am lusting after this cam, and have also looked
> at the Canon Rebel xTi.

If you like the handling of the D80, go for it. It beats every other
10mp camera on the shelves right now, except the Nikon D200, for
performance and features. It costs a bit more than the XTi, but it
offers more features, better handling, better viewfinder, and better
kit lense.

> The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
> RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
> which the xTi has addressed.

Do a search about dust with DSLR cameras and you'll find that it's a
non-issue.

I happen to own the D80, and it's been 2.5 weeks since I bought it and
it still does not have a single speck on the sensor. I change lenses
all the time. If the sensor is clean, it has a tendency to stay that
way due to antistatic coatings on the sensor (filter actually since it
covers the sensor).

There are now three cameras on the market with sensors that use
vibration technology to "clean" the sensor. None of them work as
suggested...it's just a marketing gimmick.

> Is this such a big deal, especially if you're a lifetime
> amateur and already take good care when changing
> lenses?

Not an issue at all.

And even if you do get some dust on the sensor, most of the time it
won't show in photos. And if it is visible at small apertures like
f/16 or f/22, the Nikon has a dust reference feature that can be used
to remove the dust in editing software (I haven't bothered to use it
on the D80 or the older D70s which I used to borrow a lot).

In the event you get a few large dust bunnies in there, you can clean
the sensor with a rocket blower, manual air pump from the hardware
store, or even with a wet technique using specialized methanol cleaner
and swabs:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

> I'm also aware that the xTi is the lighter of the two, but not
> by that much, and I'm OK with that.

I originally bought the Rebel XT nearly two years ago because it was
smaller and lighter. I changed to the much better handling of the
Nikon D80. Two of the big factors in my change was the handling, and
the better viewfinder.

I use the Nikon 18-70 with it the most. I could have bought it with
the 18-135, and it's not a bad lense, but for less money I was able to
pickup a used 18-70 from a friend and it's a great little unit.

And the Rebel XT never really had an issue with dust either. I usually
just used a rocket blower to clean the dust off the sensor.

Bill

"Steven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JwK5h.11047$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Get a 30D instead of the buggy D80.

Buggy?

I own the D80 and I can't find a single problem with it. I couldn't
say that about the Rebel XT when I bought it - it needed a firmware
update to fix the image review scrolling issue it had new from the
factory.

> Even the Rebel Xti is a better choise.

> Look here all the complains about noise and metering problems.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20831512

As someone else already pointed out, that was one complaint and it was
due to user error, not a problem with the camera.

> more here:
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

That is not a thread, it's a link to the forums, so it's useless.

Are you being sarcastic, or trolling perhaps?

Ockham's Razor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And the Rebel XT never really had an issue with dust either. I usually
> just used a rocket blower to clean the dust off the sensor.

As a new owner of a D80, just what is a "rocket blower" and how is it
used?

TIA

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ockham's
Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As a new owner of a D80, just what is a "rocket blower" and how is it
> used?

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&A=details&Q=&
sku=318545&is=REG>

a squirt of air blows out any dust.

Ockham's Razor

In article <121120061952219969%(E-Mail Removed)>,
nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ockham's
> Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > As a new owner of a D80, just what is a "rocket blower" and how is it
> > used?

> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&A=details&Q=&
> sku=318545&is=REG>
>
> a squirt of air blows out any dust.

What is a "rocket blower"? Is it a commercial device or your term for a
puff of air?

--
There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.

George K

I t is a commercial product,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search.
The air intake has a filter to help limit any new dust being added to
the sensor. These devices will only work for non-sticky dust. Some
dust needs to be removed by a wet cleaning method like the Copperhill
method.

Another way around the dust issue is to use software like Bibble,
http://www.bibblelabs.com/index.html, to remove dust spots in post
processing.

Ockham's Razor wrote:
> In article <121120061952219969%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ockham's
> > Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > > As a new owner of a D80, just what is a "rocket blower" and how is it
> > > used?

> > <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&A=details&Q=&
> > sku=318545&is=REG>
> >
> > a squirt of air blows out any dust.

> What is a "rocket blower"? Is it a commercial device or your term for a
> puff of air?
>
> --
> There are two ways to spell Ockham/Occam. Britannica prefers the former.

Bill Funk

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:24:04 -0800, Ockham's Razor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <121120061952219969%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ockham's
>> Razor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> > As a new owner of a D80, just what is a "rocket blower" and how is it
>> > used?

>> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&A=details&Q=&
>> sku=318545&is=REG>
>>
>> a squirt of air blows out any dust.

>What is a "rocket blower"? Is it a commercial device or your term for a
>puff of air?

Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/ymfrd2
Same URL as above, but without wrapping.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

MJG

V Green wrote:

> The only thing keeping me from buying the D80
> RIGHT NOW is the "dust on the sensor" issue,
> which the xTi has addressed.

Personally and this really is just a personal comment I would never ever
own a DSLR camera again.

I had a Nikon D50, took great care of it when changing lenses and after
about three months of use started to notice dark specs on my lighter
images - caused by - dust on the sensor.

Ok it can be removed (either at great cost by Nikon or by buying a DIY
kit, but really why bother????, there are some really great digicams out
there that take fantastic pics without the need to faff about changing
lenses and risking getting dust on the CCD.....suggest you shop around
and get one of these.

Just my two cents for which I know I risk getting flamed but does this
face look bovvered?????

--

MJG
(Take THEDOG out to email me)